***Official Political Discussion Thread***

That’s my candidate. Or Cornell West

I totally understand not wanting to vote for the Democratic Party. It’s especially telling that the Democratic Party is fine with and successful in courting Republican voters but refuses to try to co-opt green voters.

This whole siphoning off votes framing reeks of entitlement. It implies that Democrats already owned the votes of people who ended up supporting Green Party candidates. It also shows a gap between the Democratic establishment and its voters. Regular Democratic voters are likely to be in favor of many Green Party policy positions. Very few Democratic voters are centrists, let alone right of center. It would make sense that the Democratic Party simply adopt a substantial part of the Green Party platform and win back most of those “siphoned off” votes. But the people who run the Democratic Party tend to like what the GOP is all about minus Donald Trump and Evangelicals.

So I’m not going to defend the Democratic Party at all. I only ask that you consider the value of keeping Republicans out.

It’s obvious that the change that we seek (and that many Democratic voters want as well), will come from action outside electoral politics. And the conditions for organizing and making direct challenges to the state, to capital, and to any other oppressive social arrangements, will be more favorable in a country where Democrats have a permanent governing majority.

I sometimes joke that I’d be willing to vote for Democrats in the morning and then go to protest those same Democratic incumbents that afternoon and do organizing work that evening.

So you obviously believe that a better world is possible. It’s clear that 99% of the work needed to get there happens outside the electoral arena. Spend 1% of the time voting straight ticket Democratic to optimize the chances of beating Republicans and than the other 99% of the time convince those rank opportunists in the Democratic Party to fear labor and civil rights orgs more than they currently fear police unions and weapons manufacturers and Wall Street.

In the meanwhile, you can’t organize people if they are dead and they’re less likely to be dead with Democrats in power and for now, it is a binary choice within the electoral realm.

Let’s be strategic here.

rexanglorum rexanglorum - "I sometimes joke that I’d be willing to vote for Democrats in the morning and then go to protest those same Democratic incumbents that afternoon and do organizing work that evening"

That is such real talk

Im definitely in the same boat, it's like a bad relationship because the alternative is much much much worst (Republicans) once I read somewhere that said "we don't have a left leaning party, we have a right one and one this is center-right" it really hit me how bad it is.

rexanglorum rexanglorum - "I sometimes joke that I’d be willing to vote for Democrats in the morning and then go to protest those same Democratic incumbents that afternoon and do organizing work that evening"

That is such real talk

Im definitely in the same boat, it's like a bad relationship because the alternative is much much much worst (Republicans) once I read somewhere that said "we don't have a left leaning party, we have a right one and one this is center-right" it really hit me how bad it is.

There’s some politicians who are trying to make the Democratic Party into a bonafide social Democratic, solidly left party. But the few that have succeeded in winning their primary against more conservative candidates, do so with backing from organized left groups.

So organizing can win electoral victories. We just don’t have the juice to take over the Democratic Party at a national level or get a third or independent, left candidate elected. Not yet at least.

We’ll get there but it definitely will involve a lot more work from millions of people. And we had better be successful because as material conditions deteriorate for most people, their will be a crisis of legitimacy within the American state and it’ll be either us or the fascists who will take advantage of that opening.

Is this what they like to call "derangement syndrome"?

That whole conversation was like two young republicans, both very high on benzos at a loud mixer, attempting to make a variety of right wing talking points but the talking points are all malformed and are crashing into each other but the two people in the conversation soldier on and throw out vague signifiers.

Also, usually they call Hillary evil and say that she drinks the blood of babies. But this time she's evil for pointing out that Donald Trump is bad.

Edit: speaking of republicans who are out of their gourd,

Last edited:

Also projected that by 2060, 1/4 Americans will be Latino.

Bold of them to assume there will be a United States in 2080.

I’m not saying the US will fall apart but it’s chances are t looking good.

All the signs of decline are here already. Eroding social trust, large parts of the population live in totally different epistemological bubbles, more and more of elite income is derived from collecting debts and rents from people less and less able to pay them, infrastructure falling apart, NIMBYism which is far worse than just bad policy but reflects middle-upper class disregard for even their own descendant’ well being let alone poor people’s, increasing privatization, a military that is increasingly a mercenary force often separate and distinct from broader society, less and less access to quality education, and an unwillingness to pay civil servants enough to compete with the private sector.

I haven’t even mentioned climate change and crop failures, lack of water, and the certainty of more immigration combined with the high probability of internal migration.

There’s also economic problems, foremost among them, the decline or collapse of the USD. But also the general decline or collapse of trade routes which will be disastrous for the whole world’s economy. More frequent flooding, more border wars, causing civil strife and invasions to break out across the world. This further weakens the reach and reliability of global supply chains, causing further deterioration of conditions.

With vanishing international trade, the dollar loses most of it value. That’s game over.

But if we can overcome and avoid these problems. If we can break the oligarchies’ hold on on the existing states on the other label. But if such a thing is to happen, the need for the maintaining the existing social order and the need for states themselves would go away.

Bold of them to assume there will be a United States in 2080.

I’m not saying the US will fall apart but it’s chances are t looking good.

All the signs of decline are here already. Eroding social trust, large parts of the population live in totally different epistemological bubbles, more and more of elite income is derived from collecting debts and rents from people less and less able to pay them, infrastructure falling apart, NIMBYism which is far worse than just bad policy but reflects middle-upper class disregard for even their own descendant’ well being let alone poor people’s, increasing privatization, a military that is increasingly a mercenary force often separate and distinct from broader society, less and less access to quality education, and an unwillingness to pay civil servants enough to compete with the private sector.

I haven’t even mentioned climate change and crop failures, lack of water, and the certainty of more immigration combined with the high probability of internal migration.

There’s also economic problems, foremost among them, the decline or collapse of the USD. But also the general decline or collapse of trade routes which will be disastrous for the whole world’s economy. More frequent flooding, more border wars, causing civil strife and invasions to break out across the world. This further weakens the reach and reliability of global supply chains, causing further deterioration of conditions.

With vanishing international trade, the dollar loses most of it value. That’s game over.

But if we can overcome and avoid these problems. If we can break the oligarchies’ hold on on the existing states on the other label. But if such a thing is to happen, the need for the maintaining the existing social order and the need for states themselves would go away.
Bruh if you think that, you havent traveled enough trust me. The US will be fine

Bro has so may parallels to Trump every other week

Dude cancelled "crisis meetings" in DC with the White House and members of Congress because his campaign assistant got raided, then said he "didn't speak to her" despite flying back to NY immediately upon news of the raid. All for an investigation that he claims definitely doesn't and would never involve him.

I think everyone knew this was coming after that flimsy excuse :lol:

Got two of them in their 70s. Maybe they’ll kick the bucket soon because you know they won’t retire unless trump is president again.

Back
Top Bottom