***Official Political Discussion Thread***

I totally understand not wanting to vote for the Democratic Party. It’s especially telling that the Democratic Party is fine with and successful in courting Republican voters but refuses to try to co-opt green voters.

This whole siphoning off votes framing reeks of entitlement. It implies that Democrats already owned the votes of people who ended up supporting Green Party candidates. It also shows a gap between the Democratic establishment and its voters. Regular Democratic voters are likely to be in favor of many Green Party policy positions. Very few Democratic voters are centrists, let alone right of center. It would make sense that the Democratic Party simply adopt a substantial part of the Green Party platform and win back most of those “siphoned off” votes. But the people who run the Democratic Party tend to like what the GOP is all about minus Donald Trump and Evangelicals.

So I’m not going to defend the Democratic Party at all. I only ask that you consider the value of keeping Republicans out.

It’s obvious that the change that we seek (and that many Democratic voters want as well), will come from action outside electoral politics. And the conditions for organizing and making direct challenges to the state, to capital, and to any other oppressive social arrangements, will be more favorable in a country where Democrats have a permanent governing majority.

I sometimes joke that I’d be willing to vote for Democrats in the morning and then go to protest those same Democratic incumbents that afternoon and do organizing work that evening.

So you obviously believe that a better world is possible. It’s clear that 99% of the work needed to get there happens outside the electoral arena. Spend 1% of the time voting straight ticket Democratic to optimize the chances of beating Republicans and than the other 99% of the time convince those rank opportunists in the Democratic Party to fear labor and civil rights orgs more than they currently fear police unions and weapons manufacturers and Wall Street.

In the meanwhile, you can’t organize people if they are dead and they’re less likely to be dead with Democrats in power and for now, it is a binary choice within the electoral realm.

Let’s be strategic here.
I agree wit this sentiment but the only counter point is somebody like you been saying this for decades now and no/slow progress or takeover is in sight….That can easily lead to 3rd party votes

1699741921454.png

"ReTruths" :lol: always laugh and :smh: when I see that. Like, your team couldn't come up with a better phrase than that?! :lol:

I agree wit this sentiment but the only counter point is somebody like you been saying this for decades now and no/slow progress or takeover is in sight….That can easily lead to 3rd party votes

Thirty years ago the party under Bill Clinton was dismantling the LBJ social state and waging wars on drugs and the inner city. I’m not sure the jump to Obamacare and Bidenomics is a slow shift leftward.

Full disclosure: I was pretty excited about Clinton in ‘92. We’d come off 12 years of Reaganomics and Clinton’s economic approach seemed to me like a good compromise given the popular embrace of supply-side nonsense and the supposed failure of Keynes and the social state during the 70’s. It took a few more years for people, or at least me, to better understand what went wrong in the cities for those decades, and I think my evolution back to the left is somewhat common among Gen-X democrats.

my wife bought tickets at resale price, took off from work, made bracelets, bought new clothes, flew to cali, stayed in a hotel with her friends, bought merch and loved the concert and then saw the damb movie 2x here at home. swift is a ******* juggernaut and i’m serious about buying an eras tour hoodie if trump loses in 2024.

and no, my wife is not white even though she totally looks like she is 😂

my wife bought tickets at resale price, took off from work, made bracelets, bought new clothes, flew to cali, stayed in a hotel with her friends, bought merch and loved the concert and then saw the damb movie 2x here at home. swift is a ****ing juggernaut and i’m serious about buying an eras tour hoodie if trump loses in 2024.

and no, my wife is not white even though she totally looks like she is 😂

Yeah, I had to spend a fortune for tickets for next June for our 15yo. The venue is only about a mile from here so that’s the only cost at least. Annoyingly with hindsight we could have got the premium ones on presale for about the same cost and I could have got 4 - and then paid for our 2 reselling them.

I have no doubt that her opinions will encourage some young folks to vote D - and I have no problem with that

Curious if any of yall have Muslim friends on social media and what their posts are looking like?

Majority of mines are and I’m gonna be surprised if Biden gets even 1% of the Muslim American vote next year

Back
Top Bottom