***Official Political Discussion Thread***

IMG_2264.gif
Case in point

I’m still waiting to see that” list” of states created on religion.

difference between a nation being a majority religion or following a religion and a nation being created based on religion.

Dudes writing Saudi Arabia shows just how much that difference goes over your head.

I didn't pick these countries out of a hat.

This is what I get when I google "churches in Saudi Arabia."

Currently there are no official churches in Saudi Arabia.

The state religion of Mauritania is Islam. The country forbids its citizens from practicing anything else.

The constitution defines the country as an Islamic republic and recognizes Islam as the sole religion of its citizenry and the state. The law and legal procedures derive from a combination of French civil law and sharia. The judiciary consists of a single system of courts that relies on a combination of sharia and secular legal principles.

The law prohibits apostasy and blasphemy. The criminal code mandates a death sentence for any Muslim convicted of apostasy or blasphemy, but the government has never applied capital punishment for apostasy or blasphemy.

Authorized churches were able to conduct services within their premises but could not proselytize. An unofficial government requirement restricted non-Islamic worship to the few recognized Christian churches. There were Roman Catholic and other Christian churches in Nouakchott, Kaedi, Atar, Nouadhibou, and Rosso. Non-Islamic religious services remained open only to foreigners, and citizens could not attend. Some Christian groups seeking to establish churches in the country were unable to obtain authorization from authorities, thus affecting their ability to operate and practice their religion in the country. Because of a lack of authorization, some churches could not open a bank account in their name. Non-Muslim religious leaders, however, stated the government typically does not prevent such groups from holding religious gatherings in private spaces.

In contrast, 97% of the Senegalese population is Muslim, but they've had openly Christian presidents.

The constitution provides for the free practice of religious beliefs and self-governance by religious groups without government interference. By law, all faith-based organizations must register with the government to acquire legal status as an association.
That's the difference between a Muslim theocracy and a country where Muslims happen to be the majority.

Wth does Arab nativity is based on Arab conquests even mean. Did you just make up some bs? The people they’re native to the land. Whether you wanna say Arab or filestine they were the natives, it had nothing to do with Islam.

Your comment implied that Jews were not indigenous to the Middle East, hence my analogy with the Kurds, who are also a stateless demographic group native to the Middle East.

Such bull****

The Dems have offered to end gerrymandering for over a decade now. Liberal Justices were ready to strike it down

And every step of the way the GOP said no because they felt it gave them an unfair advantage (it still does)

If they want to stop what is going to happen to NY, then it is really easy. End gerrymandering everywhere.

I'm not giving Ann Coulter any credit here.

She has had a great liberal and legal education and she should have known, before any real world applications had to happen, that if you want to make or change laws, they have to be enforced.

If you truly see abortion as being exactly the same thing as premediated homicide against children, you have to be unyielding in its application.

But it gets worse. While the position of banning almost all abortions is destructive to many birthgiving people, allowing abaortion in extreme edge cases, is a position that perhaps reveals even more nefarious motives. You're basically supporting the notions that in general, the state should force a birthing person to birth your progeny UNLESS, the circumstances of the pregnancy compromises the future baby making capoacity of baby making people.

I am yet to encounter a pro Zionist argument that is also applicable to apartheid era South Africa.

Dutch speakers had been in the area for centuries, Dutch speakers were put in concentration camps by the British/ the Dutch speakers fought the British. Bantu and Khoisan peoples did acts of terrorism to dislodge the Dutch speakers, The Boers (the Dutch speaking settler colonists) claimed that they were actually anti colonial because they fought the British Empire, both countries have been subject to boycotts in the US, South Africa offered its subject people's a tiny bit of crappy land in exchange for peace, and worst of all some college undergrads weren't always appreciative of the complexity related to the Boers' history in Southern Africa.

If Israel has a right to exist as an Apartheid state, than so did South Africa.

I am yet to encounter a pro Zionist argument that is also applicable to apartheid era South Africa.

Dutch speakers had been in the area for centuries, Dutch speakers were put in concentration camps by the British/ the Dutch speakers fought the British. Bantu and Khoisan peoples did acts of terrorism to dislodge the Dutch speakers, The Boers (the Dutch speaking settler colonists) claimed that they were actually anti colonial because they fought the British Empire, both countries have been subject to boycotts in the US, South Africa offered its subject people's a tiny bit of crappy land in exchange for peace, and worst of all some college undergrads weren't always appreciative of the complexity related to the Boers' history in Southern Africa.

False equivalency at it's finest

I'm curious where you see me going wrong in this analysis?
Well for starters...

Apartheid
-Banned sex between races
-Banned Marriage between races
-Banned certain political ideologies - Communism and others
-Banned Homosexuality
-Banned Abortion

Additionally, protests by Blacks in South Africa, much like the US civil rights movement in the US was primarily non-violent....

South Africa operates an industrialized nation that recognizes same-sex marriage and mainains this while an 80% majority of Blacks get along with a 20% white population.........

Which Hamas leader has ever mentioned their intent for a two state solution?

The apartheid thing is just another meme argument to elide a legitimately difficult problem.

The problem is the occupation and the blockade. And those things are being fuled by right wing extremists on both sides of the conflict.

You can shout apartheid until you are blue in the face, it's irrelevant.

It's right to exist is based on the fact that they aren't leaving.

Unless you want to invade Israel, dispose the government and expel to population.
I really don't see the point of these south African apartheid comparisons.

Back
Top Bottom