***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Reminds me when Chicago let a hastily-formed private company take over its parking meters. It was a flat-out disaster, and still is. Rates increased, payments were required 24/7 and they still only accepted coins. The meters would get jammed because the company was too lazy to empty them regularly, so you couldn't pay for parking in a lot of places. The city made a killing on parking tickets.

It's even more comical than that. The deal the city made was for $1 billion for 75 years. If Chicago has to remove parking spaces temporarily for parades, festivals, markets, etc. the city has to PAY that company for the lost revenue. The LLC that bought it has raked in billions off their initial billion dollar investment.

Reminds me when Chicago let a hastily-formed private company take over its parking meters. It was a flat-out disaster, and still is. Rates increased, payments were required 24/7 and they still only accepted coins. The meters would get jammed because the company was too lazy to empty them regularly, so you couldn't pay for parking in a lot of places. The city made a killing on parking tickets.

It's even more comical than that. The deal the city made was for $1 billion for 75 years. If Chicago has to remove parking spaces temporarily for parades, festivals, markets, etc. the city has to PAY that company for the lost revenue. The LLC that bought it has raked in billions off their initial billion dollar investment.

No one has ever been able to give me an example where privatising services has actually led to better service for less money - the competition somehow just drives up prices and they don’t care about the quality as long as they make a profit.

Minneapolis mayor won’t quit destroying homeless camps.

He offers no solution, dude is such a clown. All virtue signaling and no substance.

You don’t see the irony in imprisoning native people in an eagle prison?

Systemically destroy them but at least they’re sitting in an eagle shaped prison.

Christmas came early

1702676420935.png

As ****.

Learn more about indigenous people
One of my closest friends is Oglala Lakota. I've known him longer than I haven't. He said he'd rather not be in prison, regardless of the shape of the buildings. It was accompanied by uncontrollable laughter. "The level of ridiculousness is impressive".

That's his reaction, start beef with him.

You don’t see the irony in imprisoning native people in an eagle prison?

Systemically destroy them but at least they’re sitting in an eagle shaped prison.
Especially considering the history of the canadian government's relationship with its indigenous population, a country that disproportionally incarcerates them. To defend them boasting about being awarded for providing an eagle shaped space. Truly amazing.

Yeah that’s insane, throw you in an eagle prison and mock your culture at the same time.

let me know when some meaningful change actually takes place.

It's not a mockery of the culture necessarily, it was built with input from the community, but the situation itself is silly

"Hey, I know we relentlessly target you while denying we do, but we built this in our prison for you :emoji_heart:🦅 It won an award!"

Same thing everywhere. They built Native American center here to ease their guilt for ruining their encampments.

Wasn't the deal $1 billion for a 99-year lease? The city went through that money in months.

That was Daley's last **** you to Chicago residents before the Rahm Emanuel years. And I remember people begging Rahm to do something about it, only for him to sit on his hands and tell folks that things are complicated.

One of my closest friends is Oglala Lakota. I've known him longer than I haven't. He said he'd rather not be in prison, regardless of the shape of the buildings. It was accompanied by uncontrollable laughter. "The level of ridiculousness is impressive".

That's his reaction, start beef with him.

Especially considering the history of the canadian government's relationship with its indigenous population, a country that disproportionally incarcerates them. To defend them boasting about being awarded for providing an eagle shaped space. Truly amazing.

Seriously you realize your argument is “my black friend told me it was ok”. Find me a quote from someone in the prison saying “**** that building” and it would hold some more weight. Do you even know which tribe makes up the majority in the indigenous in that prison and if this connects to them?

Also this isn’t a kente clothe scarf photo op. The building is for “ceremonies and promotes a holistic approach to healing at a correctional institution”. So even if you have a point who cares if they shaped it as a cross, an eagle, or a clown face it serves a purpose.

Yeah that’s insane, throw you in an eagle prison and mock your culture at the same time.

let me know when some meaningful change actually takes place.
It's not a mockery of the culture necessarily, it was built with input from the community, but the situation itself is silly

"Hey, I know we relentlessly target you while denying we do, but we built this in our prison for you :emoji_heart:🦅 It won an award!"
Yah you guys are just totally wrong on this.

The entire point of the building is part of a broader effort to address the historic and systemic issues Canadian indigenous Canadians face.

Part of that is past attempts of the Canadian governments to erase and disconnect indigenous people and families from their culture and that disconnection lead to a cycle of poverty, violence and crime.

Residential schools and prisons were a big part of this in historically in Canada. children were stolen from families given new names, barred from speaking language or doing any cultural practices in a deliberate attempt at cultural genocide.
So as a result there is a legal framework that was developed in Canada for addressing this. Judges, and the criminal justice HAVE TO take into account colonialism, and find ways to address it when sentencing prisoners and designing prison programs.

So I can understand how it can sound stupid "lol Canadian Goverment makes eagle shaped prison"

but that a silly caricature. The reality is the Canadian government is attempting to adress the history of attempting to separate indigenous Canadians from their culture. in prison

and instead actually trying to REHABILITATE prisoners and RECONNECT them to their culture, through indigenous led programs and initiatives. and as a bonus the design of the building will also be part of that process, featuring indigenous art, architechture and design.

1702695114013.png

1702695122330.png

my mom worked in the Canadian governments with some indigenous groups (not this tribe), there is no way this was conceived of without input from indigenous leaders. in fact id bet it was led by indigenous leaders.

So what is wrong with have and entire building dedicated to indigenous rehabilitation programs in a building, that reflects and helps reconnect them to their culture?

yall know me I hate symbolic activism, I think tbh Canada's attitude to a lot of this stuff is dumb and bad.

but this is not one of them, it might sound silly to you but its an act of reconciliation especially given Canadas history of using prisons as a way to erase indigenous culture.

I wouldn’t wanna have ceremonies in a prison :lol:
so?.... indigenous leaders and people do.

prisons in American have religious programs, churches, imams right?

also it's not just ceremonies, they are gunna have other indigenous led rehabilitation programs in there.

why is it bad they have an entire building dedicated to Indigenous cultural practices', and programs designed to help indigenous Canadians rehabilitate and stay out or prisons?

I get people just want to be snarky on the internet, but be real for a sec, you think they just came up with this randomly?

you want systemic change,
Prisons are part of the system.

Why would it be bad for prisons to be more sensitives to the history of colonialism and try to correct that, through rehabilitation programs and art?

like would it be better if it was some grey building with no indigenous cultural influences?
why is that better?

Back
Top Bottom