***Official Political Discussion Thread***

I might be overreacting and I hope we can look back on this in November and you guys can laugh in my face but I don't see a route to victory for Joe.

My frustration stems from how we got here. How are the Democrats big underdogs to a historically unpopular candidate like Trump?

America is a rural country with rural attitudes, and her people reflect this.

Some of y'all need to get out of big cities, touch the clay, and feel the ... simplicity.

1719610683851.png

Not that I think it’s gonna happen or that it should happen in this election cycle, but I think people in this thread are over-estimating how much Pete Buttigieg’s homosexuality would be a detractor for potential voters in a presidential election.
There are a lot more closet homophobes than you think.

If being gay is a deal breaker you weren’t voting dem regardless because you’re a weird religious nut case.
A lot of - most? - immigrants to the US come from regions where religion is growing. They'd vote a dem house and senate and leave the POTUS check box empty or vote for anyone but Pete.

This ruling is not gonna make cities magically turn YIMBY and build tons of affordable housing and shelters

It won't suddenly make the country somehow wake up to the serious issue of housing inflation

People that have been failed by cities, will mostly be continued to be failed by cities

But now they will get fined and jailed for it a lil bit more.

Im not arguing either situation is good, but imo the"it's your constitutional right to camp outside in public spaces" is nightmare result.

I think making camping a constitutional right is the worst of all worlds. It allows cities to ignore the costs of homelessness, and it radicalizes the electorate against investment in public spaces.

if you arrest people for camping, it puts pressure on the prison system which puts pressure on city and state budgets. imo that's better then "sorry we can't do anything because it's your right to camp"

and maybe im biased but I have a close family member who was homeless for years and the only reason we were able to get them off the street, was via crimes like trespassing, public camping ect. as a result they got court mandated therapy, psychiatric treatment. and got the help they needed and now are doing well.

if it was their constitutional right to camp they'd probably still be out there today.

so i might be biased due to personal experience, but I dunno, i think it's better to have the option to arrest, then it be a constitutional right.

Im not arguing either situation is good, but imo the"it's your constitutional right to camp outside in public spaces" is nightmare result.

I think making camping a constitutional right is the worst of all worlds. It allows cities to ignore the costs of homelessness, and it radicalizes the electorate against investment in public spaces.

if you arrest people for camping, it puts pressure on the prison system which puts pressure on city and state budgets. imo that's better then "sorry we can't do anything because it's your right to camp"

and maybe im biased but I have a close family member who was homeless for years and the only reason we were able to get them off the street, was via crimes like trespassing, public camping ect. as a result they got court mandated therapy, psychiatric treatment. and got the help they needed and now are doing well.

if it was their constitutional right to camp they'd probably still be out there today.

so i might be biased due to personal experience, but I dunno, i think it's better to have the option to arrest, then it be a constitutional right.
Seems like you are discounting the human cost of jailing people a lot for something really out of their control in the hopes that down the line somehow that will lead to cities.

Instead of building more housing, cities might just you know, build more jails. Or transfer people to prisons

I think you probably are biased ,maybe I am to because of of my volunteering work I have done.

The status quo in America has been

1) Cities refusing to address housing issues
2) Using the police and legal system to try to overcompensate for other failures

To me this reads like SCOTUS just gave cities a way to shift the blame for their failures onto homeless people.

And you are telling me that somehow jailing more people is might result in some downstream benefit.

I simply have a hard time putting my faith is such a thing happening

I get it, it may have been a net positive in your situation. But I think in most cases a ton of innocent people that want to be off the street lives are gonna be made worse

I simply don't trust city/state governments and county jails and state prisons that much.

Last edited:

The highest rated comment - so far - has a conspiratorial flavor to it.

"The powers that be won't let him withdraw."

Can Sarah Palin hear the laughter from Moscow?

Pretty spot on comment for me since they cant articulate how party central leaders/advisors work. I also know there are business groups/consultants involved. Those people are "the powers that be" for your average american.
People are blaming Jill but the people making the decision are the same people who asked Buttigieg, Klobuchar, etc. to bow out in 2020 so Biden could beat Sanders.
It's also the same people who forced Kamala down his throat when they knew Joe and Jill couldnt stand her.

Last edited:
Pretty spot on comment for me since they cant articulate how party central/steering committees work.
People are blaming Jill but the people making the decision are the same people who asked Buttigieg, Whitmer, etc. to bow out in 2016 so Biden could beat Sanders.
It's also the same people who forced Kamala down his throat when they knew Joe and Jill couldnt stand her.
Those people are "the powers that be" for your average american.
All of this is reads like something you made up in your head

after analyzing things further and my emotional hot take comment of going with newsom, I think Biden still needs to be the nominee.

People are now figuring out after actually analyzing things that Trump was full of crap. As the days go by people won’t even remember this debate by in a week let alone a month. The Supreme Court seems to be doing a good job with their recent decisions in ensuring people thinking twice about voting in a Republican.

I agree with Will here. In fact, I agree with him on everything. I was in a low income neighborhood and every was driving a Rolls-Royce.

(last part satire, first part not)

In the spirit of what the Lakers are doing, the next debate should be 2v2 with Hunter and Don Jr joining their fathers on stage.

Oof, I'd get a contact high just from watching it. And at my age, I can't handle that many stimulants.

The solution to homelessness isn’t just one thing either, there’s a ton of reasons people are homeless besides just simply not having a home.

It's like an iceberg. The most visible aspects of it are people with major substance abuse and mental health challenges. But for every one of them, there's several sober, gainfully employed people who live in their car or in an RV or who are couch surfing, who are not very visible.

Even in cities with lower wages and higher levels of drug addiction and mental health challenges, homeless, overall, is lower, when compared to high rent cities. Memphis and Birmingham, has more untreated mental illness and drug addiction as Los Angeles and San Francisco do, but the former have much less overall homelessness. I agree with osh kosh bosh osh kosh bosh on this. It's mostly, though not exclusively, a cost of housing issue.

Seems like you are discounting the human cost of jailing people a lot for something really out of their control in the hopes that down the line somehow that will lead to cities.

Instead of building more housing, cities might just you know, build more jails. Or transfer people to prisons

I think you probably are biased ,maybe I am to because of of my volunteering work I have done.

The status quo in America has been

1) Cities refusing to address housing issues
2) Using the police and legal system to try to overcompensate for other failures

To me this reads like SCOTUS just gave cities a way to shift the blame for their failures onto homeless people.

And you are telling me that somehow jailing more people is might result in some downstream benefit.

I simply have a hard time putting my faith is such a thing happening

I get it, it may have been a net positive in your situation. But I think in most cases a ton of innocent people that want to be off the street lives are gonna be made worse

I simply don't trust city/state governments and county jails and state prisons that much.

I get your perspective but like making it constitutional right to camp seems like a step too far? Unless I'm misunderstanding, wouldn't that basically he the implications of rulling the law unconstitutional?

Like if you think that people shouldn't enforce these laws or cities shouldn't implement these laws. That's fine, I think you should be able to vote for politicians that'll do that.

Creating a right to camp just seems highly impractical.

Like there are situations where people prefer to camp even there are accomodations. I remember during covid the city took over hotels, my family member told me they were really nice, way better than homeless shelters. But some people still wanted to camp. Mostly due to mental illness.

I understand objecting to sending people to jail but should a city have like no ability to say "no you can't camp here"?

since they cant articulate how party central leaders/advisors work.

• 2024 Delegate Selection Rules – The Rules governing our Party’s presidential nominating process.
  • Call for the 2024 Democratic National Convention – The Call includes information about the allocation of delegates, alternates, Standing Committee members and pages, as well as the temporary procedural rules of the Convention.
  • Regulations of the Rules and Bylaws Committee For the 2024 Democratic National Convention – The Regulations provide guidance to the RBC and State Parties about the Rules, the Call, and other matters pertaining to the delegate selection process.

The Call for the convention lays out the rules by which the DNC elects candidates. The 2024 version is currently published on their website. People just don't want to read want to be spoon-fed.

The view that the DNC has been rigging the selection process started in 2016, and it hasn't gone away since:

The core facts are straightforward: As Barack Obama’s presidency drew to a close, the DNC was deep in debt. In return for a bailout, DNC Chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz gave Hillary Clinton’s campaign more potential control over its operations and hiring decisions than was either ethical or wise. But those operations were mostly irrelevant to the primary and couldn’t have been used to rig the process even if anyone had wanted to use them that way; the primary schedule, debate schedule, and rules were set well in advance of these agreements. “I found nothing to say they were gaming the primary system,” Brazile told me. And while that contradicts the more sensational language she used in her book, it fits the facts she laid out both in her original piece and since.

after analyzing things further and my emotional hot take comment of going with newsom, I think Biden still needs to be the nominee.

People are now figuring out after actually analyzing things that Trump was full of crap. As the days go by people won’t even remember this debate by in a week let alone a month. The Supreme Court seems to be doing a good job with their recent decisions in ensuring people thinking twice about voting in a Republican.

My problem with this line of thinking, is Biden is losing, he was losing before the debate, and he's probably losing now.

he needs to change the dynamics of the race, and he clearly doesn't have the stamina or public speaking abilities to do it.

so even if you think we have returned to the status quo, the status quo was bad, and Joe Biden basically showed he has no ability to change it.

My problem with this line of thinking, is Biden is losing, he was losing before the debate, and he's probably losing now.

he needs to change the dynamics of the race, and he clearly doesn't have the stamina or public speaking abilities to do it.

so even if you think we have returned to the status quo, the status quo was bad, and Joe Biden basically showed he has no ability to change it.
Yeah but this would be unprecedented to have the incumbent replaced. I will say if it is in bidens on bidens ow. term then absolutely replace him, but I don’t think forcing him to do so is the way to go about it. Look I don’t think Biden will last 4 more years, but at this point beating Trump is what matters.

Trump with his ego will not like the fact that Biden is getting all the attention even if it’s bad. He is going to do something as he already has today to take attention away.

Back
Top Bottom