***Official Political Discussion Thread***

I doubt Florida is in play at all.

The Cuban population in Dade county sways the metrics for which Democratic Party wins big states.

But a few election cycles you’re looking at both Texas and Florida being purple states.

I doubt Florida is in play at all.

The Cuban population in Dade county sways the metrics for which Democratic Party wins big states.

But a few election cycles you’re looking at both Texas and Florida being purple states.

We’ve been saying that about Texas for a long time. But the Hispanic population is turning more Red.

Florida has just turned more red since 2012. I doubt that’s in play. Best chance is turning North Carolina purple and keeping Georgia purple.

We’ve been saying that about Texas for a long time. But the Hispanic population is turning more Red.

Florida has just turned more red since 2012. I doubt that’s in play. Best chance is turning North Carolina purple and keeping Georgia purple.

I mean Texas has gone from 38 to 45% Dem from 2000-2020.

If it is back down to 40-42% yeah it’s a lost cause, but if it’s 45-47% it’s still trending long term to a contestable state.

I think if Republicans can ever get themselves away from MAGA, it goes back to deep red. But it’s a lot less red today than it was in 2008

I mean Texas has gone from 38 to 45% Dem from 2000-2020.

If it is back down to 40-42% yeah it’s a lost cause, but if it’s 45-47% it’s still trending long term to a contestable state.

I think if Republicans can ever get themselves away from MAGA, it goes back to deep red. But it’s a lot less red today than it was in 2008

My issue on why I don’t think it turns is because the Hispanic population due to its strong ties to Christianity fall more into the right than left. Not to mention, Hispanics tend to think of themselves as white people at times. I mean we had a resident Dominican who was darker than some of my black friends who did. That’s just a bad combination which is why I’m pessimistic.

My issue on why I don’t think it turns is because the Hispanic population due to its strong ties to Christianity fall more into the right than left. Not to mention, Hispanics tend to think of themselves as white people at times. I mean we had a resident Dominican who was darker than some of my black friends who did. That’s just a bad combination which is why I’m pessimistic.

“Hispanic” is probably overly reductive when talking about demographic voting trends in Texas. I suspect that a lot of the new Republican Latino voters are 3rd or even 4th generation Mexican-Americans. Immigration from Mexico has dwindled. There’s no longer as much of the influx of friends or family tha keeps the plight of immigrants in focus . I don’t believe they identify much with Salvadoran immigrants, much less Venezuelan or other South Americans.

Furthermore, many have achieved a certain degree of middle class American life, and because they live in areas with very high Mexiacan-American populations, like the RIo Grande Valley, Laredo, or other parts of South Texas, they may encounter very little anti-Mexican sentiment. So they now follow a path long-established by the Irish, Scandinavian, Italian, and Eastern European descendants of immigrants into nativism. It’s sad to watch for me, but ultimately predictable.

I suspect naturalized voters from South and Central America (who vote) are reliably Democratic.

I also suspect that these Mexican-American voters (especially women) can be brought back with issues like education, cost of elder care, and public health, but the Dems will have to message them separately and not assume that “we like immigrants” is a compelling message to people whose families have been here a century.

If Texas is lucky, it'll get rid of Cruz this year.

I can't say I'm a big fan of Colin Allred's centrist approach. He's like a way less ballsy and charismatic version of Beto. We have to work with what we have though, as depressing as that is.

The wildest anti-immigrant stuff I've ever heard people say in person was from central and South American immigrants (1st and 2nd gen mostly) about other central and South American and Caribbean immigrants. The colorism and racism is big time as well. And the religion/Catholicism stuff too.

1723601920453.png

247.gif
161.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom