***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Hey, don't forget this gem:

Conservative to the CORE.  
roll.gif

http://www.forbes.com/sites/helaine...fers-credit-cards-in-the-middle-of-the-night/

[h1]Mitt Romney's Campaign Cancels Staffers Credit Cards In The Middle Of The Night[/h1]
+ Comment now

US Republican Presidential candidate Mitt Romney loads into a car on his way to the airport in North Canton, Ohio before flying to Pensacola, Florida, on October 27, 2012. Romney and President Barack Obama are hunting for votes in battleground states after the Republican challenger propelled the economy to the forefront of the campaign by promising to restore the country's economic engine. (Image credit: AFP/Getty Images via @daylife)

The next time you have the misfortune of hearing a Wall Street titan or other one-percenter whine about how their trickle-down contributions are not appreciated by the masses remember this tidbit, courtesy of Garrett Haake at NBC:
From the moment Mitt Romney  stepped off stage Tuesday night, having just delivered a brief concession speech he wrote only that evening, the massive infrastructure surrounding his campaign quickly began to disassemble itself.

Aides taking cabs home late that night got rude awakenings when they found the credit cards linked to the campaign no longer worked.
No Mitt Romney, Private Charity Is Not Enough Helaine OlenContributor

No doubt a whole host of Boston  taxi drivers found themselves stiffed when it came to tips early Wednesday morning. That’s what happens when the money trickles up, not down and it’s why healthy economies don’t depend on the trickle down whims of overlords. The minute Richie Rich decides he doesn’t need all that stuff staff … well, that’s that.

In case you are wondering, this did not have to happen. The Mitt Romney for President entity does not end with Romney’s Tuesday night loss. There are papers to be filed with various federal commissions and bills to be paid ….

But clearly not the taxi bills belonging to some of those most loyal to Romney. Maybe that’s what you get for taking a job with a multi-millionaire who boasts about the fact that he sneaks popcorn into movie theatres in wife’s handbag, so he doesn’t have to pay inflated concession prices for a snack.

^^^^ Mittens is cold as ice :lol:

-Word is that Chris Christie called Obama to congratulate him, but only shot Mitt and email. :lol:

Looks like the supply of dambs in NJ is just like their gas supply, scarce

Last edited:
Christie already has my vote next election as long as they don't pair with some kook.
I'd vote for him too. Fiscal Conservative - Socially Liberal dude from the North-East (Which means he's no nut)

But He needs to shed 150 lbs before that happens. Public image is important. American's will not vote for a fat President.

He'd be great tho. But I'd guess he wouldn't get past the Republican primaries because he's a moderate from New Jersey and the far religious right would not vote for him.

Last edited:
I think Christie being too buddy buddy with Barry cost him a chance at running, no way he'll get out of the primaries IMO, GOP had to hate that **** :lol:

Last edited:
I think Christie being too buddy buddy with Barry cost him a chance at running, no way he'll get out of the primaries IMO, GOP had to hate that **** :lol:

Yup, pretty much. Even before being friendly with Obama, he wouldn't have a shot because he's not a religious super social conservative.

that is why the GOP will die
mean.gif
keep religion out of politics, but then we lose our bible belt states. If we don't, we won't get votes
So as a seemingly logical republican, what do you suggest your party does to move forward? Especially considering Romney's poor performance with minorities, who are all growing demographics.

No sarcasm, serious question.
time for them to put da evangelicals on da back burners and start appealing to people on a business/economical level.

thats always been da GOPs strong suit, social issues have always helped them, now its hampered them.

Christie already has my vote next election as long as they don't pair with some kook.
i was saying for da longest he should've been da vice president over paul ryan, way more of a likeable guy, works

across da aisle, funny, fiscal conservative, socially common sense.

let's see if da GOP primaries dont turn him into another mutant that has to run WAY back to da center come da general

election.

http://davidsimon.com/inevitabilities-and-barack-obama/

Barack Obama And The Death Of Normal
07 Nov

I was on an airplane last night as the election was decided. As the plane landed after midnight on the East Coast, I confess that my hand was shaking as I turned on my phone for the news. I did not want to see dishonesty and divisiveness and raw political hackery rewarded. It is hard enough for anyone to actually address the problems, to move this country forward, to make the intransigent American ruling class yield even a yard of the past to the inevitable future. But going backwards last night would have been devastating. I read the returns in silent elation; a business trip had me traveling in business class and the gnashing of corporate teeth all around precluded a full-throated huzzah on my part. I abhor a gloat.

But the country is changing. And this may be the last election in which anyone but a fool tries to play — on a national level, at least — the cards of racial exclusion, of immigrant fear, of the patronization of women and hegemony over their bodies, of self-righteous discrimination against homosexuals. Some in the Republican party and among the teabagged fringe will continue to play such losing hands for some time to come; this **** worked well in its day and distracted many from addressing any of our essential national issues. But again, if they play that weak-*** game past this point, they are fools.

America is different now, more so with every election cycle. Ronald Reagan won his mandate in an America in which 89 percent of the voters were white. That number is down to 72 percent and falling. Fifty thousand new Latino citizens achieve the voting age every month. America will soon belong to the men and women — white and black and Latino and Asian, Christian and Jew and Muslim and atheist, gay and straight — who can walk into a room and accept with real comfort the sensation that they are in a world of certain difference, that there are no real majorities, only pluralities and coalitions. The America in which it was otherwise is dying, thank god, and those who relied on entitlement and division to command power will either be obliged to accept the changes, or retreat to the gated communities from which they wish to wax nostalgic and brood on political irrelevance.

You want to lead in America? Find a way to be entirely utilitarian — to address the most problems on behalf of the most possible citizens. That works. That matters. Last night, it mattered just enough to overcome the calcified political calculations of men who think that 47 percent will vote against them because they are victims, or that 53 percent are with them because the rest of us vote only from self-interest and without regard for the republic as a whole. It was a closer contest than common sense and the spirit of a truly great nation should dictate. But unless these white guys who have peddled “normal” for so long — normal as in racial majority, normal as in religious majority, normal as in sexual orientation — unless they have a hard moment of self-reflection and self-awareness, well, it will not be this close again.

Eighty years ago, the Democratic party became a national utilitarian enterprise, molding the immigrant waves of Irish and Italian and Jew into a voting bloc that stunned the political opposition and transformed American society, creating the world’s greatest economic engine in the form of a consumer class with vast discretionary income. The New Deal asserted for American progress — shaping and influencing administrations both Democratic and Republican — for three decades before running aground on the shoals of the civil rights movement, resulting racial fears and resentments, and, of course, the Southern strategy of political cynics.

Well, a new voting bloc as formidable as the New Deal coalition certainly isn’t yet complete, and the political results are still fitful. To be sure, venality has transformed the upper house of our national legislature into a paralytic failure, with a new standard of a filibuster-proof supermajority now the norm. The lower house of that legislature reflects less of any national consensus than it does the absurdity of post-census gerrymandering. Never mind Obama. If Romney had won this election, our government would be just as broken. It is the legislative branch that remains an epic systems failure.

For lost and fretful white men, unwilling to accept the terms of a new America, Congress is the last barricade against practical and inevitable change. But there, too, the demographic inevitabilities are all in play. All the gerrymandering in this world won’t make those other Americans, those different Americans, go away. And the tyranny of minority and lack of compromise that you employ to thwart progress now will likely breed an equal contempt when the demographics do indeed provide supermajorities.

Hard times are still to come for all of us. Rear guard actions will be fought at every political crossroad. But make no mistake: Change is a ************ when you run from it. And right now, the conservative movement in America is fleeing from dramatic change that is certain and immutable. A man of color is president for the second time, and this happened despite a struggling economic climate and a national spirit of general discontent. He has been returned to office over the specific objections of the mass of white men. He has instead been re-elected by women, by people of color, by homosexuals, by people of varying religions or no religion whatsoever. Behold the New Jerusalem. Not that there’s anything wrong with being a white man, of course. There’s nothing wrong with being anything. That’s the point.

This election marks a moment in which the racial and social hierarchy of America is upended forever. No longer will it mean more politically to be a white male than to be anything else. Evolve, or don’t. Swallow your resentments, or don’t. But the votes are going to be counted, more of them with each election. Arizona will soon be in play. And in a few cycles, even Texas. And those wishing to hold national office in these United States will find it increasingly useless to argue for normal, to attempt to play one minority against each other, to turn pluralities against the feared “other” of gays, or blacks, or immigrants, or, incredibly in this election cycle, our very wives and lovers and daughters, fellow citizens who demand to control their own bodies.

Regardless of what happens with his second term, Barack Obama’s great victory has already been won: We are all the other now, in some sense. Special interests? That term has no more meaning in the New America. We are all — all of us, every last American, even the whitest of white guys — special interests. And now, normal isn’t white or straight or Christian. There is no normal. That word, too, means less with every moment. And those who continue to argue for such retrograde notions as a political reality will become less germane and more ridiculous with every passing year.

Lots of waste and shouting and ignorance still to come, of course. But last night was a milestone.

Dave Simon will forever be that dude btw :pimp:

Back
Top Bottom