***Official Political Discussion Thread***

i guess i never thought people would think that way, or it would be limited to some guy named Cletus born to siblings. turns out though it's wealthy suburban whites who are pushing this line of thinking that universities are full of liberal elites who are poisoning young minds with anti-American views.

for anyone in college, you know how ridiculous this all is. you know how much rigor and careful thought goes into college (well, depending on your d1 scholarship status) and it only gets more rigorous the further along you go.

it's a pattern of selfish laziness. i saw something similar posted on Facebook with respect to the media. some girl was defending spicer and alternative facts by saying that the media makes no effort to uncover the truth. like really? does she have any idea how much trouble a journalist at a respectable paper gets into if they're caught fabricating a story? does she know about how many journalists risk their lives going to places like Syria to try to report on the truth?

it's just such an intellectually lazy view of life. people think they're experts on something with no effort. they're probably the same people calling in on Monday to criticize their local football team when they haven't played a minute of football in their entire life.

alright, enough ranting, i gotta sleep.

Its like a real life One Flew Over the ****oos Nest

If I'm Donald Trump, I'm firing Sean Spicer tomorrow. I'm also telling Conway if she says one more half wit thing like "alternative facts" she can go update her LinkedIn page

i guess i never thought people would think that way, or it would be limited to some guy named Cletus born to siblings. turns out though it's wealthy suburban whites who are pushing this line of thinking that universities are full of liberal elites who are poisoning young minds with anti-American views.

for anyone in college, you know how ridiculous this all is. you know how much rigor and careful thought goes into college (well, depending on your d1 scholarship status) and it only gets more rigorous the further along you go.

it's a pattern of selfish laziness. i saw something similar posted on Facebook with respect to the media. some girl was defending spicer and alternative facts by saying that the media makes no effort to uncover the truth. like really? does she have any idea how much trouble a journalist at a respectable paper gets into if they're caught fabricating a story? does she know about how many journalists risk their lives going to places like Syria to try to report on the truth?

it's just such an intellectually lazy view of life. people think they're experts on something with no effort. they're probably the same people calling in on Monday to criticize their local football team when they haven't played a minute of football in their entire life.

alright, enough ranting, i gotta sleep.

People are stupid. Americans are stupid. And when you disagree with their idiocy, they get even dumber. Throw in the internet and now everyone is an expert on everything. It's amazing. WATTBA.

Came across this interesting article

http://www.theroot.com/i-went-to-the-black-trump-inauguration-party-so-you-did-1791377433

I Went to the Black Trump Inauguration Party so You Didn’t Have To

Donald Trump is not popular with black people. Donald Trump was not the most popular candidate for president in 2016. Donald Trump is so unpopular that he can’t convince a Bruce Springsteen cover band to perform at his inauguration. These are facts.

However, none of that prevented literally dozens of Americans of color from coming to Washington, D.C., to celebrate his inauguration Friday. On Wednesday I attended the Black Tie & Chic Gala, a salute to black Republican leaders appointed to serve the Trump transition and various positions in the new administration. The night was a microcosm of the black community heading into the Trump presidency. Some people are well-meaning, some people are misguided ideologues, and occasionally, people are downright dangerous to the health and safety of the black community.

Let’s begin with the irony of a black Republican Trump event being held at the Watergate Hotel. During the 1972 presidential election, Republican Richard Nixon had a two-pronged strategy to win re-election to the White House: employing the Southern strategy, which entailed riling up white racism against black gains during the civil rights movement, and authorizing a break-in and theft of important documents from the Democratic Party, which was, at that time, housed in the Watergate Hotel.

Now, 45 years later, you have black people celebrating the presidency of Trump, who employed a two-pronged campaign strategy of exacerbating white resentment against black people and a black president, and who asked the Russians to steal and then leak sensitive information from the Democratic National Committee. To be fair, Nixon got 15 percent of the black vote and got impeached for conspiring to undermine democracy, while Trump got only 8 percent of the black vote and faces no political consequences for being an asset to Russia’s intelligence apparatus.

The event was held in the spacious ballroom of the Watergate; as you walked to the ballroom, there was a wall full of the names of black Republican trailblazers and a few members of the Trump transition team. The band played basic mainstream R&B hits while guests dined on chicken-and-waffles hors d’oeuvres, burger sliders and lots of alcohol.

For all the low-key pomp and circumstance, you know what was decidedly absent? Donald Trump. Literally, Trump had little or no presence at an event that was supposed to be about celebrating African Americans who were going to work for him. It was almost like one of those “network marketing” events where they don’t want to tell you up front that they’re trying to sell time-share vacations, but the staff is working the room telling everyone how nice St. Vincent’s is this time of year. Except no one is fooled, and everybody already knows that St. Vincent’s is overrated.

When Armstrong Williams took the microphone, he barely mentioned the name Donald Trump. There were no cheers of “We won!” There were no Trump-Pence signs, no Trump posters. I did not see one “Make America Great Again” hat or T-shirt. In fact, if you didn’t read the gala program placed on the ballroom tables, you could have mistaken this night for a million other suit-and-tie events that happen every 15 minutes in Washington, D.C.

The room was filled with luminaries of the Trump campaign—Ashley Bell, Elroy Sailor, Telly Lovelace, Pastor Mark Burns. Dr. Ben Carson made a guest appearance, in addition to GOP trailblazers like Michael Steele and J.C. Watts, who were honorary chairs of the event. What was striking, however, was that the optimism of those in the room seemed to be the inverse of their proximity to Trump and the White House. Those who were state-level volunteers or just Trump voters were enthusiastic about the incoming administration. Those who seemed closer to power were much more cautious, guarded and, in some cases, almost ambivalent toward our future under Trump.

Talking to black potential staffers and campaign members about Trump was like getting the “radio clean” version of a Rick Ross album. Every other word is cut, edited, redacted or off the record. Nobody wants to talk, and whether that is out of fear, deference or a fleeting desire to snag a job, the result is the same. Which is not surprising. With a mere 24 hours to go before Trump takes office, very few black people—outside of Carson—have been given jobs in the new administration. Conventional wisdom says that if you haven’t been picked up yet, you’re probably on the sidelines.

Of course, none of that mattered to the regular folks who were in attendance to celebrate their new president. I spoke to a 50-something-year-old couple from metro Atlanta (let’s call them Gayle and Mark) who epitomized the mood at the event. Gayle had voted for Obama twice and claimed that she was a lifelong Democrat. In fact, she actually voted for Trump and then voted Democrat for every other office down her ballot. When I asked why, she said:

This is a once-in-a-lifetime chance. I mean, Trump’s a billionaire; I believe in him. Because he’s rich already, he won’t be influenced by lobbyists and all the money in Washington. He’s just there because he cares about us. Hillary or anybody poor would be trying to get rich [in the White House]

“When have you ever heard of a rich person who doesn’t want more money?” I said. To which Gayle gave me a textbook Kanye shrug. When I pointed out that Trump had been making deals to get richer since winning the election and had an unprecedented number of conflicts of interest in which his businesses stood to gain from his being president, she had no answer.

When I asked her husband what he thought about Trump and his recent attacks on the city of Atlanta, he turned into Marshawn Lynch: “I’m just here ... I’m kind of a ‘go along to get along’ kind of guy. She’s the Trump supporter.”

This was a common sentiment among black Trump supporters in the room who weren’t really close to the campaign. They believed that Trump was not like other politicians; that, as one man from North Carolina told me, “I’d rather see him try and fail than Hillary, which was politics as usual.” When I pointed out that a Trump “failure” could result in millions losing health insurance, trade wars with China, military conflicts with Iran and a rollback of a half-century of civil rights legislation, I usually got a blank stare or some semblance of “Well, if he doesn’t deliver, we can kick him out in four years.” Which might make sense if the voting rights of the majority remain intact. Oh, wait.

As I traversed the room talking to everyone from local GOP party members and volunteers to former “Never Trump” people, instead of a raucous celebration of victory and making America great again, I encountered a hodgepodge of idealistic, low-information voters mixed with party officials crossing their fingers and hoping for the best.

There were constant whispered stories of infighting among black Republicans, with certain names popping up repeatedly: redacted redacted Omarosa, redacted redacted and Pastor Daryl Scott; rationalizations about incoming Attorney General and longtime civil rights antagonist Jeff Sessions: “We might be able to work with Jeff Sessions ... on some things”; and outright candid despair about former Breitbart white-nationalist-terror sympathizer Steve Bannon as Trump’s senior adviser. “Steve Bannon ... I don’t like him. He’s not ... I don’t like that guy. I’ve met him and he’s not good,” said one attendee, while another whispered, “At least he [Bannon] doesn’t have much of an apparatus around him; not like Sessions.”

We were promised food, dancing and music until 11:30, but the place was almost cleared out by a quarter after 10. People were leaving, the food was gone and the band was playing Bob Marley’s “Stir It Up” to a lone white couple in the middle of the room. It was almost as if no one wanted to pretend anymore, that it wasn’t worth it to run out the rest of the night until the room rental was over.

There are some hardworking, well-meaning African Americans working with and around the GOP for the incoming 45th president. However, if the Black Tie & Chic Gala is any indication, they aren’t so much enthusiastic about Trump as they are just hoping that Republicans’ being in power affords them a chance to make some changes that they think are helpful to African Americans, which is about as encouraging as Trump yelling, “What have you got to lose?” to black people during the campaign. But everyone—white, Hispanic, Asian and especially African American—is about to find out. Big league.

This has been a tactic of the far right from the jump:

Painting being college educated makes you out of touch with the real world.

If every poor person got a decent (and hopefully cheap) college education, the system of white supremacy, and the grip the reationary right has on the GOP, would be in danger.

While it would not be universal, the poor whites would learn to reason better, think critically, learn about history,have their views challenged, get washed in a debate, learn to spot bad statistics, question things more, and scariest of all to conservatives..............they would interact with minorities that don't fit the stereotypes that conservatives use to scare poor whites.

Jose is not coming to steal your job, he is the dude in your frat

Jamal is not trying to rob you, he is your studying group for Calc 2

Ahmad is not trying to blow you up, you play basketball with him on Tuesday nights

Tanisha and Maria aren't young single mothers leeching off the system, they are just two chicks in your group for Sociology class.

Poor young white kids would expand their world view, become more empathetic toward minorities, more progressive, and then..... boom......they will be hip to the BS conservatives been feeding them

So conservative elites try their best to weaken the higher education system, and tell poor people that they are better off without it. All the while they are sending their children of to expensive summer camps, and cutting huge checks in hopes their kids get into Harvard.

-Problem is, Trump stole this uneducated gullible base right from under the GOP establishment in the primaries. And these folk have no idea the extent they have been lied too.

But yeah, they don't need a fancy degree or useless facts, Trump tells them their white identity is enough, and he is going to give them back their country because it belongs to them. Not some educated black man and the minorities he keeps telling you to practice empathy towards.

Congressional Democrats get all kinds of crap when they send their kids to DC private schools instead of DC public schools.

I think that liberals need to ask how many children of Republican Congressmen go to welding school upon graduating high school. The answer, of course, is zero. The children of conservative elites go to Ivy League Universities or great liberal arts colleges and then most of them study law after that. Meanwhile, the conservative rank and file doesn't even know what the heck a liberal arts college is (many of them believe that it is where you go to be taught left wing ideas).

In many ways, the increased earning power that is supposed to come with higher education has been overstated, to say the least. However, I retain my ancestors' New England based, Puritanical faith in higher education's ability to produce better citizens. You make higher education more accessible and folks will be more critical and more inclusive of other people's humanity and that is exactly what conservatism fears the most.

If I'm Donald Trump, I'm firing Sean Spicer tomorrow. I'm also telling Conway if she says one more half wit thing like "alternative facts" she can go update her LinkedIn page

That would be a glimpse of hope to see that from him..

@BradJaffry: President Trump will sign executive orders today to advance Keystone XL and Dakota Access Pipelines, Sr. White House official tells NBC News

Well that DAPL W from a few weeks back didn't last...:smh:

Well that DAPL W from a few weeks back didn't last...
mean.gif
damn shame man. even after all the protests 
mean.gif

Only thing this Orange POS puts first is his businesses

At this point I blame only those that voted him in, Trump gonna Trump, this has been him for decades, he hasn't changed and will not changed, people willingly went out and elected him, the accountability is on those voters 100% not on Trump or his looney cabinet, they were scumbags before, they will be scumbags during and will be scumbags after.

yup, the voters deserve blame but also elected republican officials like rubio and others who decided it's ok to enable trump.

thanks for nothing, america.

Last edited:
At this point I blame only those that voted him in, Trump gonna Trump, this has been him for decades, he hasn't changed and will not changed, people willingly went out and elected him, the accountability is on those voters 100% not on Trump or his looney cabinet, they were scumbags before, they will be scumbags during and will be scumbags after.
idiots thought he was gonna look out for them when he has never shown a glimpse of looking out for anyone else but himself

Showing your taxes should be mandatory if you want to be POTUS.

Media should be talking about his conflicts of interests every day.

Forget about the tweets and the Spicer/Conway smoke screens.

idiots thought he was gonna look out for them when he has never shown a glimpse of looking out for anyone else but himself

Actually, they think he is looking out for them because he is getting rid of "regulations" and dismantling the very programs that will help them. I just don't want to hear about no gofundme campaign to help pay for someone's medical bills or anything like that for the next four years. Call the White House.

**** the fact that health insurance premiums doubled during the decade preceding the ACA; **** the fact that refusal to enforce safety standards led to the floods after Katrina, the Deep Water Horizon tragedy, people drinking polluted water in Flint, and other countless disasters that could have been avoided were it not for the idiots who think standards are burdensome. **** the fact that a healthy, thriving economy and society rests on an educated citizenry. **** the fact that scientific research is necessary for economic growth through the development of new industries. **** all of that.

The good thing about Trump being constantly flustered by his lack of popularity is that it's bound to give cold feet to these CEOs who think they can run the country but are not accustomed to be told "no" and to be criticized by those they usually regard as meaningless.

Can't fire citizens...

Hopefully it kills the conventional belief that "the country should be run like a business."

Back
Top Bottom