***Official Political Discussion Thread***

"When you have your staff taking the Fifth Amendment, taking the Fifth so they are not prosecuted, when you have the man that set up the illegal server taking the Fifth, I think it is disgraceful." — Donald J. Trump

@AP: BREAKING: AP Source: Michael Flynn to decline Senate Intel committee subpoena, invoke 5th Amendment later today.

Lock him up

His old boss spoke out against pleading the 5th just last year :rofl:

“The mob takes the Fifth Amendment. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” —Trump in 2016 https://t.co/5vHWYjEAMi

Of course he's used it himself in the past too :lol:
03641bebf27cbc28c340d9575512f69d_i-plead-da-fifs-profile-i-plead-da-fif-meme_289-231.jpeg

Justice :smokin

@cristianafarias: In a mammoth ruling, #SCOTUS finds that two North Carolina congressional districts — 1 and 12 — are unconstitutional racial gerrymanders.

Gerrymandered maps across the country should be in danger now ahead of the midterms

This is a huge win because this will destroy the GOPs grip on the state has state. And might start a trend towards blue. This might make the road to taking back the House easier.

But it does not affect the other maps, because those are about partisan gerrymandering (which as a strong racial component anyway). There is another case regarding that I believe that will be ruled on soon.

The thing is Clarence Thomas was the fifth vote here, which is a bad signal. Since Kennedy didn't swing left on a gerrymandering vote. But the dissents seem like he, Roberts and Alito did it because of a silly reason imo.

But yeah, the future of democracy might be in the hands of Clarence Thomas. May God have mercy on our souls
Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Clarence Thomas ruled against racial gerrymandering in his judicial history multiple times?

Justice :smokin

@cristianafarias: In a mammoth ruling, #SCOTUS finds that two North Carolina congressional districts — 1 and 12 — are unconstitutional racial gerrymanders.

Gerrymandered maps across the country should be in danger now ahead of the midterms

This is a huge win because this will destroy the GOPs grip on the state has state. And might start a trend towards blue. This might make the road to taking back the House easier.

But it does not affect the other maps, because those are about partisan gerrymandering (which as a strong racial component anyway). There is another case regarding that I believe that will be ruled on soon.

The thing is Clarence Thomas was the fifth vote here, which is a bad signal. Since Kennedy didn't swing left on a gerrymandering vote. But the dissents seem like he, Roberts and Alito did it because of a silly reason imo.

But yeah, the future of democracy might be in the hands of Clarence Thomas. May God have mercy on our souls
Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Clarence Thomas ruled against racial gerrymandering in his judicial history multiple times?

I believe he has before. The issues was with two district here. One everyone agreed was racially gerrymandered the other there was disagreement. Thomas agreeing the 2nd districts was racially gerrymandered was the surprising result.

But partisan gerrymandering is harder to prove, and their are weaker protections against partisan gerrymandering. And could cause the conservative Justices to not strike them down.

Damn just when I thought things might be looking up for Dems :lol: :smh:. Why is partisan gerrymandering more acceptable than racial gerrymandering? Both are used to set up an unfair advantage for whoever gets to draw the map

Melania's really been fed up with Trumps *** already just days into being together with him again :rofl:

Last edited:
Damn just when I thought things might be looking up for Dems :lol: :smh:. Why is partisan gerrymandering more acceptable than racial gerrymandering? Both are used to set up an unfair advantage for whoever gets to draw the map

Melania's really been fed up of Trumps **** already just days into being together with him again :rofl:
What bugs me is that 3 of the justices thought racial gerrymandering was still ok though :smh:

Voting Rights Act outlaws racial gerrymandering. The reason the SCOTUS gutted part of the Voting Rights Act last time is because conservative Justices, especially Robert argued that racism was no longer and issue in those districts.:rolleyes He has egg on his face now because so many lower courts have made rulings on new cases showing Voter ID laws being racist.

The thing is, since African Americans vote Democrat by a overwhelming majority, especially on the local level because state and local Dems are usually black and black districts then partisan gerrymandering got a harsh racial component. The GOP till does racial gerrymandering, they just label it partisan.

Not to let the Dems off the hook though, like in Maryland the Dems have rural white votes marginalized like **** through gerrymandering :lol:

Melania's really been fed up of Trumps **** already just days into being together with him again :rofl:
What bugs me is that 3 of the justices thought racial gerrymandering was still ok though :smh:

They didn't. They said one district was clearly racially gerrymandered and it should be redrawn, they tried to say another was not because the one side made a BS argument about how it is not really racially motivated, and they bought it.

conservatives mad cause those kids walked out their own graduation because Pence spoke talmbout respect :lol:

Now I know why I felt a cold breeze

Back
Top Bottom