***Official Political Discussion Thread***

I take issue with the hypocrisy in how this country has always handled drugs/race.

It is what it is, though. This is all expected.

There's also definitely a class thing going on there too. I remembered reading about this cocaine/crack sentencing disparity years ago, but here's a rather recent article for anyone who hasn't seen some of the statistics.:

http://www.vocativ.com/underworld/drugs/crack-vs-coke-sentencing/

Up until about 2010, you could expect people to get sentences 100x greater for what is essentially the same drug/crime. It's "only" 18x worse now, which sounds ridiculous to speak of as a vast improvement.

Oh yea crack epidemic. I completely didn't think of that. That being said, and I could be wrong, it still seems that the crack epidemic was treated with far less sympathy than this opioid crisis.

While the disparity is bad generally, it is true that crack is generally more harmful than cocaine because of the things people cut it with.

i would be willing to bet a significant amount the aforementioned have zero clue about:

Even I knew he was a member of congress 
laugh.gif
 I watch Morning Joe occasionally. Took him long enough to figure out that his brand of conservatism was no longer represented in the GOP

While the disparity is bad generally, it is true that crack is generally more harmful than cocaine because of the things people cut it with.
wrong...

"cooking" crack fundamentally changes the chemical structure of cocaine

makes it more addictive with a shorter high

wrong...

I am not sure on this but does the method of consumption also play a role? Smoking as opposed to snorting.

i've worked in the substance abuse field for more tha 20 years. i've been ask to consult with the criminal justice department in rhode island on issues surrounding crystal meth, have met with members of congress to discuss the same issues, and i can positively say that alcohol is much more dangerous than cannabis. i have my own opinions on the gateway drug issue also and i the the role of cannabis as a gateway to harder drugs is highly exaggerated.
Regarding your work in the substance abuse field, does the name Kratom ring any bells for opiate withdrawal relief?

Prior to the special unit of doctors currently working on my case, doctors would frequently try to lower my opiate dosage because none of their tests showed anything wrong with me at the time. However I had already been prescribed Tramadol for a long time at that point as nothing else the doctors tried worked to ease the chronic pain. A neuropsychiatrist eventually convinced my mom it would be better if I stopped taking them and tapered down my dosage to zero.

Needless to say this was a disaster. Even decreasing my dosage by a mere 10-20mg out of 400mg would result in withdrawals within hours.

Electrified feeling in my left arm, irritation, a feeling of my brain being overloaded with stimuli, "brain shocks", cold sweats/hot chills, ... and of course the pain on top of that. It was horrendous. I think I'd genuinely rather be waterboarded every hour. 

After doing some research I came across a plant called Kratom. I consulted with some doctors about this plant and they hadn't heard of it but they looked into some research and eventually approved trying it out. It essentially tricks your mind into thinking you're consuming an opiate, because it binds to the same opioid receptors in the brain. However it is just a plant and doesn't do much in terms of effect. Much to my surprise, it actually worked. I made tea out of it 3 times a day as I slowly tapered down my opiate dosage and I had absolutely zero withdrawal effects. Aside from when its effect was running out and I had to make a new cup of tea.

I was able to taper down my opiate dosage from 400mg a day to 300mg a day without really experiencing any real withdrawal thanks to the kratom.

I then simply discontinued the kratom and my body had conditioned to 300mg, no withdrawals. My chronic pain got worse and worse as my dosage lowered but I decided to go as far as I could.

Eventually that turned out to be a giant waste of time either way because at the end of the day that was significantly less pain relief for my chronic pain and it was just far too unbearable to last, so I was put back on 400mg. At 300mg I could hardly sleep due to the pain and it was also growing worse due to the progression of my chronic illness.

Last edited:
Are you saying that crack is less harmful despite being more addictive?

I can't speak for anyone else, but the reason I brought it up in the first place was to highlight the absurdity of the sentencing system.

If we can agree that...

1. Cocaine was often referred to a "rich man's" high, and that the demographic for its use often skews toward the more affluent.

2. Crack cocaine, conversely, has done far more damage to the poor and minorities and is used in these areas at a greater rate.

Then I can hope you see the conclusion that having far more harsh sentences for crack disproportionately targets a certain cross-section of the country.

wrong...

Are you saying that crack is less harmful despite being more addictive?
I'm saying the difference in effect is due to it's chemical structure...not what it's "cut" with

comparing how "harmful" it is seems like a completely different argument

I agree with you Chao. I was saying that to a very small degree I can understand the rationale. But the disparity is for sure targeted at a certain population. And it's dumb

I'm saying the difference in effect is due to it's chemical structure...not what it's "cut" with

comparing how "harmful" it is seems like a completely different argument

Oh ok. I see what you are saying. When I say "cut with" I'm saying how it's cooked. I don't sell drugs. I was using the wrong language

Last edited:
Oh yea crack epidemic. I completely didn't think of that. That being said, and I could be wrong, it still seems that the crack epidemic was treated with far less sympathy than this opioid crisis.

I agree, do you have an opinion on why?

>ongoing opioid crisis, thousands turning to heroin because it's cheaper
>children addicted to sugar before they can form words
>adults literally living off of caffeine and cigs
>alcohol destroying lives and apparently killing white women at alarming rates
>marijuana is a gateway drug though
I feel that way about skateboarding. I watched an episode of a FOX documentary where a young skateboard fan escalated his stunts from jumping a car to jumping over small animals to trying to jump over Springfield Gorge. His father ended up taking the jump and nearly died.

Regarding your work in the substance abuse field, does the name Kratom ring any bells for opiate withdrawal relief?
i remember you sending me a PM about this but i've only actually worked in conjunction with doctors who prescribe fda-approved medications. methadone has been commonly used but so many people say withdrawal from methadone is even worse than heroin. i've seen good success when they use it and slow taper in conjunction with residential treatment though. subutex seems to work well also. the thing about opiate withdrawal is that you might feel like you're going to die but you wont (unlike withdrawal from heavy alcohol or benzodiazepine use where you could actually die).

i remember you sending me a PM about this but i've only actually worked in conjunction with doctors who prescribe fda-approved medications. methadone has been commonly used but so many people say withdrawal from methadone is even worse than heroin. i've seen good success when they use it and slow taper in conjunction with residential treatment though. subutex seems to work well also. the thing about opiate withdrawal is that you might feel like you're going to die but you wont (unlike withdrawal from heavy alcohol or benzodiazepine use where you could actually die).
Ah, I recall that communication but forgot that was you. That last part is especially dangerous with alprazolam (Xanax), anyone addicted to it should make sure to consult a doctor for a withdrawal schedule. All these folks thinking it's cool popping Xans every day don't know what they're getting themselves into :smh:

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-was-russian-money-laundering-case-dismissed-house-dems-2017-7

Democratic members of the House Judiciary Committee sent a letter to Attorney General Jeff Sessions on Wednesday asking why the Department of Justice settled a major money-laundering case involving a real-estate company owned by the son of a powerful Russian government official whose lawyer met with Donald Trump Jr. last year.

Trump Jr., the president's eldest son, on Tuesday tweeted an email chain from June 2016 in which he entertained accepting damaging information from a "Russian government attorney" about Hillary Clinton as part of the Kremlin's support for his father's campaign.

That attorney, Natalia Veselnitskaya, represents the family of Pyotr Katsyv, the former vice governor of the Moscow region, whose son, Denis, owns the real-estate company Prevezon. The DOJ had been investigating whether Prevezon laundered millions of dollars through New York City real estate when the case was unexpectedly settled two days before going to trial in May.

"Last summer, Donald Trump Jr. met with a Kremlin-connected attorney in an attempt to obtain information 'that would incriminate Hillary,'" the Democrats wrote, citing the emails he published. "Earlier this year, on May 12, 2017, the Department of Justice made an abrupt decision to settle a money laundering case being handled by that same attorney in the Southern District of New York.

"We write with some concern that the two events may be connected - and that the Department may have settled the case at a loss for the United States in order to obscure the underlying facts."

Notice anything?

(from 2014)

Remember the leaked convo with Ryan and other GOP congresspeople suggesting that Trump and Rohrabacher could be on the Russian payroll?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/russia...p-associates-before-campaign-began-1499890354

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...us-intelligence-campaign-latest-a7838296.html

http://www.newsweek.com/allies-intercept-russia-trump-adviser-communications-557283

>ongoing opioid crisis, thousands turning to heroin because it's cheaper
>children addicted to sugar before they can form words
>adults literally living off of caffeine and cigs
>alcohol destroying lives and apparently killing white women at alarming rates
>marijuana is a gateway drug though
I feel that way about skateboarding. I watched an episode of a FOX documentary where a young skateboard fan escalated his stunts from jumping a car to jumping over small animals to trying to jump over Springfield Gorge. His father ended up taking the jump and nearly died.

:rofl:

took me a minute.

Back
Top Bottom