***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Yeah that article was very unfair against Coates.

There are indeed DNC neoliberals who do use racial and gender based idpol in a cynical manner in order to shut down discussions about economic inequality. Ta-Nehisi Coates isn't one of those people. Sure, the DNC idpol faction wants to believe that Coates is one of them but Coates is not.

Coates is a journalist whose line of inquiry now has him performing many of the roles of an historian and a good historian is not obligated to make predictions for the sake of pleasing anyone. Furthermore, Coates has never said that white supremacy is the only problem in our society. Coates says (and I agree with him) that too many Americans of all racial backgrounds and political leanings forget about or downplay the power of white supremacy in American life. Ironically, this editorial, by West, buttresses the conservative argument that Coates is just the parochial black-columnist flavor of the month. Coates is a brilliant writer and he writes very well on the topic of white supremacy and he happens to be a person who our society considers to be black. No one would says that a Catholic or Protestant is incapable of writing a history of the Thirty Years' War and yet, there is this lingering skepticism that black people cannot objectively write about how black folks are treated by our broader, white society. Sadly, West contributed to this misguided belief about black intellectuals.

Also (and this is such an elementary fact that it should not have to be repeated), Coates voted for Bernie Sanders in the damn primaries. He didn't endorse Bernie because he doesn't believe in doing endorsements. West makes it sound as if Coates is Amanda Marcotte, Jonathan Chait or Joy Reid. West makes it sound like Coates was measuring the windows in his future DC. office on November 7th, 2016 and fielding offers for lucrative, no show jobs that he'd be starting after the first Clinton term was over.

West also took issue with Coates describing the Obama years as "good negro government." For one thing, Coates is quoting a speech from a over a century ago. Second, Coates said that Obama dashed the white surpemacists' hopes and conducted an administration that history will remember as being better than average. The white supremacists wanted him to be drinking whiskey out of his shoe and instead Barack Obama frustrated the white supremacists by embodying all those virtues of propriety that the white supremacists claim to care about and that they claim are absent among people of color. To believe that Coates fully agreed with and endorsed every single thing that the Obama administration did would be foolish and would be inaccurate commentary.

Leftists need to listen to Coates so we can stop losing Democratic primaries. The center-left neolibs may not govern well for poor and middle class black folks but they are savvy and know how to engage black primary voters and win votes. Let's listen to Coates because he is one of us and our future revolutions will require an ability to reckon with white supremacy and all its far reaching effects.

Poll: Majority of Trump voters would support him even if he colluded with Russia
Only 14 per cent believe president should resign if found he connived with Moscow

On the other hand, 77 per cent of Trump voters believe he should remain in office if the collusion claims are proven true.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...oscow-democrats-republicans-a8115161.html?amp

These cult members should be sent to a country where they can get the full authoritarian experience.

Yeah that article was very unfair against Coates.

There are indeed DNC neoliberals who do use racial and gender based idpol in a cynical manner in order to shut down discussions about economic inequality. Ta-Nehisi Coates isn't one of those people. Sure, the DNC idpol faction wants to believe that Coates is one of them but Coates is not.

Coates is a journalist whose line of inquiry now has him performing many of the roles of an historian and a good historian is not obligated to make predictions for the sake of pleasing anyone. Furthermore, Coates has never said that white supremacy is the only problem in our society. Coates says (and I agree with him) that too many Americans of all racial backgrounds and political leanings forget about or downplay the power of white supremacy in American life. Ironically, this editorial, by West, buttresses the conservative argument that Coates is just the parochial black-columnist flavor of the month. Coates is a brilliant writer and he writes very well on the topic of white supremacy and he happens to be a person who our society considers to be black. No one would says that a Catholic or Protestant is incapable of writing a history of the Thirty Years' War and yet, there is this lingering skepticism that black people cannot objectively write about how black folks are treated by our broader, white society. Sadly, West contributed to this misguided belief about black intellectuals.

Also (and this is such an elementary fact that it should not have to be repeated), Coates voted for Bernie Sanders in the damn primaries. He didn't endorse Bernie because he doesn't believe in doing endorsements. West makes it sound as if Coates is Amanda Marcotte, Jonathan Chait or Joy Reid. West makes it sound like Coates was measuring the windows in his future DC. office on November 7th, 2016 and fielding offers for lucrative, no show jobs that he'd be starting after the first Clinton term was over.

West also took issue with Coates describing the Obama years as "good negro government." For one thing, Coates is quoting a speech from a over a century ago. Second, Coates said that Obama dashed the white surpemacists' hopes and conducted an administration that history will remember as being better than average. The white supremacists wanted him to be drinking whiskey out of his shoe and instead Barack Obama frustrated the white supremacists by embodying all those virtues of propriety that the white supremacists claim to care about and that they claim are absent among people of color. To believe that Coates fully agreed with and endorsed every single thing that the Obama administration did would be foolish and would be inaccurate commentary.

Leftists need to listen to Coates so we can stop losing Democratic primaries. The center-left neolibs may not govern well for poor and middle class black folks but they are savvy and know how to engage black primary voters and win votes. Let's listen to Coates because he is one of us and our future revolutions will require an ability to reckon with white supremacy and all its far reaching effects.

WELL SAID COMRADE. LIBBIES aren't HUMAN

Personally I find public debate between 2 prominent black intellectuals to be a good thing. Just because they have disagreements doesn't mean either should be dismissed because someone might not agree imo because black folks have never been a monolith

West might have been harsh and off mark a bit with a few of his characterizations about Coates but he brought up some good points regarding class and neoliberalism (although i dont always agree with his use of the term) and Coates has come correct on his rebuttals.

I dont think Cornel West is some bad,self serving guy who needs to be cancelled because he decides to critique the likes of Coates and Obama from the left. Many of his critiques have been echoed for years on that side. I think they're genuine disagreements and make for a good discussion. Call him petty sure but so many in academia tend to be like that :lol:

Personally I find public debate between 2 prominent black intellectuals to be a good thing. Just because they have disagreements doesn't mean either should be dismissed because someone might not agree imo because black folks have never been a monolith
Exactly, been diverging opinions since Booker T vs. Du Bois.

West might have been harsh and off mark a bit with a few of his characterizations about Coates but he brought up some good points regarding class and neoliberalism (although i dont always agree with his use of the term) and Coates has come correct on his rebuttals.

I dont think Cornel West is some bad,self serving guy who needs to be cancelled because he decides to critique the likes of Coates and Obama from the left. Many of his critiques have been echoed for years on that side. I think they're genuine disagreements and make for a good discussion. Call him petty sure but so many in academia tend to be like that :lol:
Dude nah. You stay giving passes to stuff just because it is coming from the "the left"

Cornell West is not a principled leftist worried about another intellectual short sighted arguments. He is salty is not longer in limelight. Coates is not the first black author he has done this too, he does it routinely. Hell when Obama wrote his first book at Harvard I believe he took a shot at him as well. And this is not the first time he has come at Coates, he has been bringing this energy for years, its always seem to come of of left field; he misrepresents Coates' positions to the point I don't think he even reads Coates work.

On Obama he makes legit criticism but he is overly vitriolic because he clearly has a person issue with Obama. After slandering Obama for a good minute, he jumped on the wave in 2008 and expect to be rewarded for that, Obama swerved him instead. He then goes onto to mix legit criticisms, with insults, and naivety. It seems because he is articulate and presents himself as principled many leftist feel he is making great points 100% of the time. He is not. Dude was outchea supporting another leftist clown like Jill Stein, just to get attention.

West's beef with Coates seems to be also because Coates is fair to Obama. Coates criticizes Obama routinely but treats him like a human, one on the aggregate was a good actor, a good person. West whole steez goes against that.

If leftist want to be principled, stop using Cornell West has a sword and hiding been the "we just criticizing from the left" shield. That is not just what West is doing, he is also trying to tear other brothers down that get more popular that him. And doing so, he has become a leftist Thomas Sowell. An articulate, intelligent, old man that is most interested is calling out other high profile black people that he deems has become to popular, and who think differently than him. By doing this he the gives the majority white political coalition he belongs to the ammunition, and cover , to attack black folk they disagree with by using some slick dog whistles.

If people want some peaceful discourse on the left. Cornell West is not gonna provide that. If people need someone to throw shots at Booker and Harris when the time comes, then West will definitely be that guy.

Last edited:
I'm glad a few senators are calling for Al Franken to change his decision about stepping down. Hopefully the proper process prevails. Proper process should be a bipartisan effort when it comes to allegations of misconduct. If not, it becomes arbitrary and capricious.

Seems like it's towards the end for the Maverick. Didn't agree with his politics, but was a fan of his before I even knew he was a politician. Will be sad to see him go.
He does strike me as an honest man, especially for a politician. Hard to agree with much of what he does politically but I think he's very genuine in explaining his reasons. His healthcare vote speech for example, many parts of it are blatantly wrong but I have no reason to doubt that it is an accurate representation of his views rather than some political bs with an ulterior motive. I can't say the same of any of his GOP colleagues except maybe Collins to a far lesser extent.
I hope he beats his cancer

In times like these I remember that the ACA almost got sunk because Reid had negotiated too many kickbacks and other Dems got pissed. The Cornhusker kickback especially had to be killed. Yet the GOP is happily buying off their members with no push back within the party.

This is some of the **** Dems need to drop. Unless it goes against your platform, shut the hell up, and let Dem leadership buy off Senators and Congressmen with extra benefits for their state to get votes.

If it takes giving rural Alabama and West Virginia special jobs programs to get Manchin's and Jones's vote, in return to get a Medicare buy in or jobs program, then do it.

Last edited:

Mans complaining about Rosenstein being a democrat but he's a registered republican...
Trump himself nominated him for the deputy AG position. In fact, Rosenstein was amongst all the US attorneys ordered to resign but Trump declined his resignation and proceeded to nominate him for deputy AG.

Anyone read this yet? It's a lot to get through and digest and one reading definitely isn't enough.
Need more minds to discuss with and twitter is just a conservative victory party right now so I'm getting nothing there.

https://www.politico.com/interactives/2017/obama-hezbollah-drug-trafficking-investigation/

Also:

That's my chosen one
giphy.webp

Coates is clapping back my listing all the times he wrote about the things West days he doesn't write about.

He is making it clear, Cornell West is criticizing my work, while Bing ignorant of my work. :lol:

I like this strategy.

Jelani Cobb let the yoppa sing doe....

https://twitter.com/i/moments/942612074584256512

Coates made a point in passing I agree with and in mentioned months before. The term "neoliberal" means nothing now really, it is vague. Especially in its modern use as an insult.

It is now really just being used as an attack to conflate left of center economics with right wing and economics. If you think Obama's and Hillary Clinton's economics is same as Paul Ryan, you simply don't know what you are talking about. And if you do know yet use try to conflate them to strengthen you argument, then you are being dishonest.

Just like calling someone part of the "establishment". Like that means little to nothing without further context and explanation. Planned Parenthood, labor unions and local Democratic party leaders are part of the establishment as well.

Last edited:
https://www.state.gov/secretary/remarks/2017/12/276669.htm

SECRETARY TILLERSON: It’s my pleasure to welcome Foreign Minister Le Drian from France to the State Department for a working lunch. We’ve had a number of meetings already this year, so I look forward to continuing that discussion. Welcome.

QUESTION: Bonjour, Monsieur Secretary. Secretary Tillerson, have you already submitted a letter of resignation with an effective date in January?

SECRETARY TILLERSON: That’s ridiculous.

QUESTION: Thank you.

SECRETARY TILLERSON: It’s a ridiculous question.

QUESTION: Thanks.

[

Back
Top Bottom