***Official Political Discussion Thread***

I used to ignore that kind of stuff, but it isn't good to let the bull**** stand. When the things he says are false but remain unchallenged, it only helps those who benefit from misinformation. From time to time I'll take a break from his nonsense, but when he says something egregiously wrong, he has to be corrected.

Even if he doesn't like it.

Even if he cries like a snowflake about '''echooooooo chambeeeerr"

The thing is no one ever points to anything that I said that was actually false. Just yesterday, someone posted that Manafort's charges were in state court so Trump could not pardon him. I corrected that falsehood. You were silent on that issue.

While it is entertaining to pretend like everything I say is wrong and/or false, the reality is that I'm am often giving my opinion on open questions.

A lawyer, who understands that plea deals are safer than trial, made a decision for himself and his family. It is not uncommon whatsoever. And, defense attorneys use deals with the prosecution to show that criminal informants have an incentive to lie all of the time.

Cohen pleaded guilty to other bank and tax fraud counts. It was probably the deal he could get. We will see how it plays out, but there is no reason to overstate what occurred.

But like someone pointed out, in this thread I believe... or maybe it was Twitter

Would a judge really let him plead guilty to a charge that wasn't even a crime? What judge is going to let you make a plea for using red ink on a form that clearly says "blue ink only"

Can that happen?

But like someone pointed out, in this thread I believe... or maybe it was Twitter

Would a judge really let him plead guilty to a charge that wasn't even a crime? What judge is going to let you make a plea for using red ink on a form that clearly says "blue ink only"

Can that happen?

This is a fair point. I do not think there is a duty for the judge to raise that issue if the defendant is pleading guilty to it is a crime.

That said, this was a district court. District Courts, and even Court of Appeals courts often get it wrong.

There is an "if" there. It is a bit difficult to explain. Cohen pleaded guilty to it as a crime. But, if Trump were to get indicted for it, his lawyers could argue that it does not meet the elements required to constitute a campaign finance violation because the "help" to the campaign is too attenuated from the "spirit of the statute." It would certainly make it to the Supreme Court. Personally, I think the current composition of SCOTUS (event without Kavanaugh) would agree with this view.
But the element of help to a campaign is already established in Cohen’s guilty plea, which was approved by a District Court. Trump is implicated as directing Cohen to commit those crimes he established and pleaded guilty too.

Surely the Cohen plea and how those campaign finance crimes were established in that plea would deal the prosecutors a great advantage in that hypothetical if Trump were to appeal to argue required elements to constitute campaign finance violation charges weren’t met?

Wouldn’t he have to invalidate that part of Cohen’s guilty plea in order to succeed in arguing the required element of “aid the campaign” weren’t met?

Last edited:
Sarah Sanders drinking game ---- a shot every time she says "...I direct you to the President's/outside counsel" during today's briefing

We'd all be in the hospital

Manafort's case having nothing to do with the WH and being before his time on the campaign would also land us in the ER

Triple shot if she says that the person referenced in the plea as "candidate" is not Trump

At that point she needs to be run off the stage

Sarah Sanders drinking game ---- a shot every time she says "...I direct you to the President's/outside counsel" during today's briefing
tenor.gif

But the element of help to a campaign is already established in Cohen’s guilty plea, which was approved by a District Court. Trump is implicated as directing Cohen to commit those crimes he established and pleaded guilty too.

Surely the Cohen plea and how those campaign finance crimes were established in that plea would deal the prosecutors a great advantage in that hypothetical if Trump were to appeal to argue required elements to constitute campaign finance violation charges weren’t met?

Wouldn’t he have to invalidate that part of Cohen’s guilty plea in order to succeed in arguing the required element of “aid the campaign” weren’t met?

They would be separate legal proceedings, because there are no charges against President Trump--at current.

The main point is that the issue hasn't been litigated yet. The entering of a guilty plea doesn't negate that. This is my opinion. That's why I said it is a good point that the judge did accept the plea.

Back
Top Bottom