***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Its crazy how Kav just blatantly lied in the hearing about his drinking and every single part of the yearbook stuff. All of that stuff was preppy rich white high school stuff.

Its one thing to pretend to not remember but they're really just letting lies go through under oath? Not only does it make him look guilty as hell but it's illegal. Whether you believe the accusations or not, how do you let that slide?

I have to cringe when my liberal friends say that Donald trump is "destroying the Republic" and that we must "save the Republic." For one thing, I know you all got that rhetoric flourish from the Star Wars prequels. Second, this grotesque spectacle with Kavanaugh is our Republic in action. This is exactly what the Founder would have wanted. A President who lost the popular vote and a Senate Caucus representing less than half the population work together to install an alcoholic pervert to a life time appointment where he will decide law for 320 million people.

Trump, Graham, Kavanaugh, these are the moneyed, Ivy League educated sort that Jefferson, Adams, Hamilton, Madison et al. agreed should be allowed to run rough shot over popular will. States suppressing votes, that's fine under our august, Madisonian republican form of government. Abortion being banned, that's fine, that's constitutional. When Rand Paul says that things like the EPA and various Civil Rights acts are contrary to the Founders conception of limited government, he's absolutely correct.

Yes, we need to vote our Trump and the GOP majority and impeach Kavanaugh and Gorsuch but over the long haul, we must get ride of our manifestly undemocratic Constitution or future generations will have to deal with these same set of problems that we face now.

I don't think the problem is with the constitution, but with the misinterpretation of the wills of the writers. It's a living document that's meant to be amended, but instead it is treated as if the founders planned for future generations to be run by a piece of paper written hundreds of years ago. The point of the amendment process was to provide a way for the document to be updated to meet the social needs and standards of new generations. This belief that Conservatives have pushed on their base, that we are to be forever beholden to the whims of our predecessors, in some sick form of timeless tyranny, is simply not true.

I don't think the problem is with the constitution, but with the misinterpretation of the wills of the writers. It's a living document that's meant to be amended, but instead it is treated as if the founders planned for future generations to be run by a piece of paper written hundreds of years ago. The point of the amendment process was to provide a way for the document to be updated to meet the social needs and standards of new generations. This belief that Conservatives have pushed on their base, that we are to be forever beholden to the whims of our predecessors, in some sick form of timeless tyranny, is simply not true.

A couple of things,

First of all, yes, the idea that we must strictly interpret every word of the constitution is a relatively new and patently false doctrine created by the federalist Society in the late 70's, early 80's.

Second, there is an amendment process within the constitution which does bypass the undemocratic supreme court but still requires a super majority in the Senate, a body whose function is to protect the elite's interests.

Third, because the constitution's process for being amended is so arduous, meaningful amendments have only been based when an extraordinary trauma happens the elite are divided and those two periods were during and right after the Civil War and during the progressive era in the early 20th Century when the elite saw the trauma and dislocation caused by industrial capitalism. That's basically it and we have no chance of having constitutional amendments as long as we have a conservative death cult who have used a mountain of money and a willingness to violate norms so that 30% of the country controls everty lever of political power. That process of emerging minority rule is all within the bounds of the constitution.

Finally, don't take my word when it comes to the claim that the constitution exists to shield the interests of the elite from popular outrage, read their own words, especially Madison whenever he is communicating with monarchists like Adams and Hamilton, he assures them that yes the House may be directly elected but the Presidency, Supreme Court and Senate are all "protected" from genuine democratic will.

Finally, don't take my word when it comes to the claim that the constitution exists to shield the interests of the elite from popular outrage, read their own words, especially Madison whenever he is communicating with monarchists like Adams and Hamilton, he assures them that yes the House may be directly elected but the Presidency, Supreme Court and Senate are all "protected" from genuine democratic will.
Oh I know. The whole point of the electoral college is to "protect" the people from themselves.
While simultaneously giving disproportionate representation to smaller states.
An idyllic justification of a system to control the people through minority rule.

Trump, Graham, Kavanaugh, these are the moneyed, Ivy League educated sort that Jefferson, Adams, Hamilton, Madison et al. agreed should be allowed to run rough shot over popular will. States suppressing votes, that's fine under our august, Madisonian republican form of government. Abortion being banned, that's fine, that's constitutional. When Rand Paul says that things like the EPA and various Civil Rights acts are contrary to the Founders conception of limited government, he's absolutely correct.

Yeah Matt Yglesias had a great article on whether we shoulde view the constitution as a charter to protect the rights of property holders, or a document to protect the rights of the people.

I'm starting to think that maybe this Kavanaugh guy isn't very nice.
“On one of the last occasions I purposely socialized with Brett, I witnessed him respond to a semi-hostile remark, not by defusing the situation, but by throwing his beer in the man’s face,” Mr. Ludington said in the statement.
He also wastes beer.

Back
Top Bottom