***Official Political Discussion Thread***

i don’t understand how boebert’s election has gone from 99 to 98 to 97% reporting. I need this L for her.

These scums are in shambles fellas. I am more pumped than I was in 20. We went out there on Tuesday and broke their will. We essentially brought them to a point where they want to raise the voting age because they know we’re not going to stop. I view us voting like a sledgehammer. Everything it hits it destroys.
Zoomers showed up and changed the course of history. While millenials got demoralized and beat down politically from the time we were kids (starting with Bush 2 all through Obama getting rugged to Trump 16), Zoomers knew they could shape and change the scope of politics.

While it's generally blamed for the divisiveness in the country, I really think social media helped the youth know they hold power and can affect change. After this midterm, I can't help but think 24 might be a massive push towards more Democratic power across the country and in less traditional areas (minus that **** hole Florida).

Zoomers showed up and changed the course of history. While millenials got demoralized and beat down politically from the time we were kids (starting with Bush 2 all through Obama getting rugged to Trump 16), Zoomers knew they could shape and change the scope of politics.

While it's generally blamed for the divisiveness in the country, I really think social media helped the youth know they hold power and can affect change. After this midterm, I can't help but think 24 might be a massive push towards more Democratic power across the country and in less traditional areas (minus that **** hole Florida).
No quit in them and we need to follow their lead. I fully expect the other side to double down on gerrymandering and making it harder for young people to vote but that just means we have to keep delivering for the youth on promises to keep them engaged. Dobbs was huge for us because it showed young folks that if they don’t engage in the political process now then decisions will be made for them that they don’t like.

I vote for reducing the voting age - keep it 18 but a max of 70. All these old people are voting for things which will never affect them - they shouldn’t get to dictate tax policy and health issues for young people.
I remember some economic policies on restructuring Michigan. most of the old timers doesn't want change at all and voted against such policies. a few years later, Michigan (Detroit in particular) is still the same sorry-*** place it has been or worse. the only thing that has changed are those old timers are now dead affecting policy change. hoping for the better for that state.

Social media and the internet also allowed cross generational talk, and I think it played a bigger role than expected when it comes to mobilizing Gen X.

Lets also mention access to knowledge that used to be kept behind academic paywalls. Lots of specialized subreddits/Twitter accounts publicly dive into subjects that would have only been discussed in university classrooms. YouTube hosts videos of lectures from prestigious universities, and the younger generation can access political debates at anytime and get a better appreciation of the climate in the past vs relying on their parents' accounts of the political events at the time, which are almost always biased.

anigif_original-26147-1445258972-1.gif

To be fair I wish I heard a little more about other issues from the dems but at the same time the republicans had no plans for anything whatsoever so it’s not like it mattered. All the want to do is ban abortion, force religion on people and cut taxes for the rich which makes inflation worse.

Social media and the internet also allowed cross generational talk, and I think it played a bigger role than expected when it comes to mobilizing Gen X.

Lets also mention access to knowledge that used to be kept behind academic paywalls. Lots of specialized subreddits/Twitter accounts publicly dive into subjects that would have only been discussed in university classrooms. YouTube hosts videos of lectures from prestigious universities, and the younger generation can access political debates at anytime and get a better appreciation of the climate in the past vs relying on their parents' accounts of the political events at the time, which are almost always biased.

Generally the fact that everyone can now easily find things out is great - but the problem with it is that the nutters can also validate and propagate their beliefs the same way - and there are no entry requirements. I hope it’s still a net positive.

Back
Top Bottom