***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Too late for step aside talk. Should have been prepped long ago if it was still the case.
Eh, I don’t think that’s true. A generic Dem would be running better against Trump right now according to the polling. It’s probably moot because I think Biden has too much pride to step aside but yea, definitely in a precarious position right now as the fall goes.

I think a generic Dem is polling better, but when the Dem is named, they poll behind Biden

But I haven't look at polling for a while

I think the unique political problem is that the best candidate to beat Trump this fall doesn't exist. And that person is Biden, but like 12 years younger.

David Brooks said something useful, for once.
Every couple of years he says something this isn’t trash.

This plus the Ezra Klein pod from last week has been pretty strong on calling for Biden to step aside.

I think the fear is he gets on the debate stage with Trump and Trump just out talks him and looks more present and that gives Republicans the argument to say look Trump is crook but he is coherent. Keep in mind I think Biden is coherent, but that isn’t how people assess debates. It’s winners and losers and I can’t think of a president who loss their debates who then won.

With that said, this late in the game, I can’t think of a worse time to start a primary for the Dems. A lot of work has been done behind the scenes to get everyone on the same page and convince the many Dems politicians who are naturally ambitious to let Biden run again unopposed. Opening the gate to a primary now would be the exact chaos that would give the Republicans the cover they need to make them not look like a **** show. Not to mention it would create the natural fault lines between the very different segments of the party that have coalesced around Biden being able to beat Trump.

I say that to say this if these calls for Biden to step down came in February 2023 for him to step down for a primary I could have seen it happening, but it didn’t, and here we are.

I think the fear is he gets on the debate stage with Trump and Trump just out talks him and looks more present and that gives Republicans the argument to say look Trump is crook but he is coherent. Keep in mind I think Biden is coherent, but that isn’t how people assess debates. It’s winners and losers and I can’t think of a president who loss their debates who then won.

With that said, this late in the game, I can’t think of a worse time to start a primary for the Dems. A lot of work has been done behind the scenes to get everyone on the same page and convince the many Dems politicians who are naturally ambitious to let Biden run again unopposed. Opening the gate to a primary now would be the exact chaos that would give the Republicans the cover they need to make them not look like a **** show. Not to mention it would create the natural fault lines between the very different segments of the party that have coalesced around Biden being able to beat Trump.

I say that to say this if these calls for Biden to step down came in February 2023 for him to step down for a primary I could have seen it happening, but it didn’t, and here we are.

Did people forget that Biden was washing trump in the 2020 debates?

Did people forget that Biden was washing trump in the 2020 debates?
It’s definitely a version of ageism. Let’s not even get into the fact the man has a speech impediment he’s constantly working against.

To me that is the concern, they are expressing. It’s pointless to bring up though because it’s way too late in the cycle to do a primary.

The main Ringer political podcast girl was on Bill Simmons podcast and said she thinks there’ll be no debates, Biden and even Trump will have reasons not to. None, unprecedented I think.

The main Ringer political podcast girl was on Bill Simmons podcast and said she thinks there’ll be no debates, Biden and even Trump will have reasons not to. None, unprecedented I think.
I hope not…. There is a real problem with America seeming like two different countries based on ideology and this just adds to it.

Plus how do you win undecided voters? Is the difference between them so clear at this point that both sides (pun unintended) do not feel obligated to try and win them over.

a debate with Trump will devolve into a shh show quick with him screaming, talking over everyone, and pandering for donations. no thanks.

All it’d take is for one of them not to agree to them, of course that’ll be used by the other side but who blinks first and says no when both probably would rather not :lol: might be the ultimate stare off

a debate with Trump will devolve into a shh show quick with him screaming, talking over everyone, and pandering for donations. no thanks.
Lowkey, I am here for it, people forgot how utterly unfit he is at being a leader since he isn’t on TV as much. It’s good if watching him makes them uncomfortable.

I have a theory that a lot of Trumps presidency has been repressed with the rest of the Covid trauma, and actually watching him will bring those feeling of hopelessness back and people will either vote against him or not vote. Right now people’s unconscious repressing of memories is working in his favor.

My thoughts are as follows.

1. Biden is the strongest candidate that we could have to go up against Trump his old age and all. The names I’ve heard thrown out there reminds me of the mythical Bernie 2016 stuff. Him being old and White works to our advantage.

2. Debate Brandon is a real thing. Joseph, speech impediment and all is one of the greatest debaters we’ve ever seen. He cooked Trump, Paul Ryan and Palin. He cooked Paul Ryan so bad that Paul was looking around for the moderator to save him. Trump and his team will duck debates just like they’ve been doing because when he isn’t in front of a home crowd da lights are too bright and he gets exposed.

3. I suspect that a lot of this Biden ageism stuff is really coded racist and sexist attacks against Kamala. If Joe gets re-elected and he doesn’t make it all 4 years, Kamala is next up. Obama’s presidency legit broke the Republicans which is how we went from them wanting to hide being terrible to MAGA. Having Black woman run this country would legit have them storming da Capitol every week. If a guy like Newsome were his VP we wouldn’t be hearing much about his age.

Back
Top Bottom