Official Sacramento Kings Off-season Thread

Originally Posted by Lightweight Champion

I honestly think the lockout will have no effect as to whether or not the Kings play in Sacramento beyond this upcoming season. The only thing that matters is the negotiations off the court to fund the new arena plan, totally non-basketball related. Purely political.

Sacramento will come to the games this season whether its 50 games or 25 because they know this upcoming season could be the last. We dodged a bullet last month but we know we can't dodge another one, we'll show up.

The lockout would only have affected the Kings or Royals or whatever the hell they wanted to call themselves after moving to Anaheim because that's less time to market a new team. Up here they don't have to do that because they're in a market that knows them well seeing as how the Kings are the only pro sports franchise in the area. UFL don't count.
I agree with you, but politics is never simple though. Anything that will have an negative effect will be used against the funding of a new arena. The hope is that the lockout ends with owners and players agreeing on something that will help the viability of each every single franchise in the league. Anything that will help small market teams like the Kings will only help in the negotiations to fund a new arena.

Sacramento should come out to games regardless if its the first season or last season. There are plenty of cities out there dying for a professional basketball team so I hope Sacramento smartens up in that regards.

I honestly think the lockout will have no effect as to whether or not the Kings play in Sacramento beyond this upcoming season. The only thing that matters is the negotiations off the court to fund the new arena plan, totally non-basketball related. Purely political.

Sacramento will come to the games this season whether its 50 games or 25 because they know this upcoming season could be the last. We dodged a bullet last month but we know we can't dodge another one, we'll show up.

The lockout would only have affected the Kings or Royals or whatever the hell they wanted to call themselves after moving to Anaheim because that's less time to market a new team. Up here they don't have to do that because they're in a market that knows them well seeing as how the Kings are the only pro sports franchise in the area. UFL don't count.
I agree with you, but politics is never simple though. Anything that will have an negative effect will be used against the funding of a new arena. The hope is that the lockout ends with owners and players agreeing on something that will help the viability of each every single franchise in the league. Anything that will help small market teams like the Kings will only help in the negotiations to fund a new arena.

Sacramento should come out to games regardless if its the first season or last season. There are plenty of cities out there dying for a professional basketball team so I hope Sacramento smartens up in that regards.

Originally Posted by SenorRoboto2k5

I'm still convinced getting rid of Martin was a good idea. They took a step back talent wise but they knew that's what they were doing. The point of the trade was addition by subtraction. Martin liked to handle the ball (or just chuck it) more than he should have. The point of the trade was to open things up for Tyreke, an effect that wasn't really felt because he spent most of last season hurting. If Martin had played his role more effectively - as a spot-up shooter who occasionally put the ball on the floor, a la Ray Allen - he would've been a great fit. I didn't think it would happen, and I guess Kings management didn't either.
We now have two years to really analyze this Kevin Martin situation. Flashback to November 2009, Kings fans and management expected a perfect pairing between Evans and Martin. But what happened though? The Kings lost 4 out of the their first 5 games. Martin was playing great averaging 30+ a game in that span. Evans was obviously still adjusting and was about what you expected from a top rookie. Martin actually injured his wrist in the fourth game and he's gone until January 2010. However, it is during this time span that the Kings overachieved and won most of their games during that season. Evans was spectacular and now Martin was forgotten. Martin comes back and the Kings go on a losing streak. Next thing you know, he is traded to the Rockets for Carl Landry.

Now most Kings fans were happy about the trade. The Kings finally got a big man that can score. The perfect Kevin Martin of PFs in that regards. Scores efficiently and gets to the line. The Kings improve, right? Nope. Landry becomes less efficient and even requests coming off the bench. Martin becomes the best scorer on the Rockets.

So now it has been one season with Evans and the Kings drafted Cousins and added a lot of different players to the team. It is now the start of year two with Evans and November 2010. Unfortunately, Evans is injured and he never really fully recovers until the end of the season. The Kings regress, records-wise, and it is looking like a depressing season. I don't even need to bring up the whole re-location issue, but it was tough being a Kings fan. The Kings make a trade for Marcus Thornton for Carl Landry. Evans was still battling injuries so Thornton came in and started at SG and was amazing. Scoring 20+ a game and dishing out some nice assist numbers. I believe the Kings finished 10-17 after the trade. Evans comes back healthy at the end of the year and Kings are looking improved. Please note that I never mention the impact of Cousins and Dalembert in this improvement. 

So cliffnotes, the Martin trade worked out two years later. The Kings now have a younger version of Kevin Martin in Marcus Thornton with better play making abilities and a cheaper contract hopefully.

But why should Martin take the blame for not working out with Evans? As a fan of both players, I feel that Martin has been unfairly criticized for doing what he's good at (score and score). Evans on the other hand, has not been criticized fairly enough for his play making abilities. I still think people assume that Martin is just an past his prime Ray Allen/Alan Houston/Reggie Miller type that should just be a great spot-up shooter. While, that is a big strength of his, Martin is actually a lot better in attacking and earning FTs. So after two years, I have to conclude that as a Kings fan, I overrated Evans and his play making abilities and his potential to be a full-time PG. The Martin trade only worked out because the Kings received Thornton eventually. The Kings got lucky. Word to the Grizz trading Gasol away and reaping the benefits years later. 

Prove me wrong Evans. 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by SenorRoboto2k5

I'm still convinced getting rid of Martin was a good idea. They took a step back talent wise but they knew that's what they were doing. The point of the trade was addition by subtraction. Martin liked to handle the ball (or just chuck it) more than he should have. The point of the trade was to open things up for Tyreke, an effect that wasn't really felt because he spent most of last season hurting. If Martin had played his role more effectively - as a spot-up shooter who occasionally put the ball on the floor, a la Ray Allen - he would've been a great fit. I didn't think it would happen, and I guess Kings management didn't either.
We now have two years to really analyze this Kevin Martin situation. Flashback to November 2009, Kings fans and management expected a perfect pairing between Evans and Martin. But what happened though? The Kings lost 4 out of the their first 5 games. Martin was playing great averaging 30+ a game in that span. Evans was obviously still adjusting and was about what you expected from a top rookie. Martin actually injured his wrist in the fourth game and he's gone until January 2010. However, it is during this time span that the Kings overachieved and won most of their games during that season. Evans was spectacular and now Martin was forgotten. Martin comes back and the Kings go on a losing streak. Next thing you know, he is traded to the Rockets for Carl Landry.

Now most Kings fans were happy about the trade. The Kings finally got a big man that can score. The perfect Kevin Martin of PFs in that regards. Scores efficiently and gets to the line. The Kings improve, right? Nope. Landry becomes less efficient and even requests coming off the bench. Martin becomes the best scorer on the Rockets.

So now it has been one season with Evans and the Kings drafted Cousins and added a lot of different players to the team. It is now the start of year two with Evans and November 2010. Unfortunately, Evans is injured and he never really fully recovers until the end of the season. The Kings regress, records-wise, and it is looking like a depressing season. I don't even need to bring up the whole re-location issue, but it was tough being a Kings fan. The Kings make a trade for Marcus Thornton for Carl Landry. Evans was still battling injuries so Thornton came in and started at SG and was amazing. Scoring 20+ a game and dishing out some nice assist numbers. I believe the Kings finished 10-17 after the trade. Evans comes back healthy at the end of the year and Kings are looking improved. Please note that I never mention the impact of Cousins and Dalembert in this improvement. 

So cliffnotes, the Martin trade worked out two years later. The Kings now have a younger version of Kevin Martin in Marcus Thornton with better play making abilities and a cheaper contract hopefully.

But why should Martin take the blame for not working out with Evans? As a fan of both players, I feel that Martin has been unfairly criticized for doing what he's good at (score and score). Evans on the other hand, has not been criticized fairly enough for his play making abilities. I still think people assume that Martin is just an past his prime Ray Allen/Alan Houston/Reggie Miller type that should just be a great spot-up shooter. While, that is a big strength of his, Martin is actually a lot better in attacking and earning FTs. So after two years, I have to conclude that as a Kings fan, I overrated Evans and his play making abilities and his potential to be a full-time PG. The Martin trade only worked out because the Kings received Thornton eventually. The Kings got lucky. Word to the Grizz trading Gasol away and reaping the benefits years later. 

Prove me wrong Evans. 
laugh.gif

I don't think you can say it worked out because they eventually landed Thornton, who basically replicates many of Martin's roles with the team. The goal of the trade was reached well before. A Kevin Martin carbon copy coming along is just an interesting happenstance.

The goal was simply to get rid of anyone who would put limits on Tyreke's ballhandling and rim-attacking style of play. They wanted to tailor the team to Tyreke in this way because they had already labeled him their franchise player - once he got going last year, a lot of people were already heralding him as a superstar-type player and such. So this meant getting rid of any player that they viewed as standing in his way, no matter how good they were, what they had proved, or what they had already done for their team. If they didn't have the superstar potential that Tyreke did, they were gone if they stood in his way.

While Martin was out, the Kings theorized that Martin and Evans wouldn't mesh perfectly because of their tendencies to both put the ball on the floor. So when he came back and the team dipped a bit, they took this as a confirmation on their theory, and he was gone. He was a good player but by that time, they had more or less figured out what his ceiling was probably gonna be, and it wasn't as high as Tyreke's.

Maybe they would've done it differently if Martin had never gotten hurt. I'm sure they would've gotten more time to play together before the Kings pulled the trigger on a deal. And maybe the Kings were riding too much of a Tyreke high, even after taking this year's injury into account.

But the simple summary: the Kings saw superstar potential in their rookie Tyreke - in a year or two he could be the closest thing they'd had to a franchise centerpiece, All-Star team staple since a healthy Webber - so they had to give him the room to grow.

I personally still see the 25-5-5 player in Tyreke, so I still stand by the trade, because every time I saw Martin try to create the plays on his own meant one less time the ball was in a potential 25-5-5 machine.
So why was Thornton so well received with the team if he plays like Martin? Because when he came along, Reke wasn't playing like that 25-5-5 guy because of injury, and Thornton injected life into the backcourt. If Reke returns to form, Thornton might end up with the same fate as KMart - unless Sac has softened their stance with Tyreke.

I don't think you can say it worked out because they eventually landed Thornton, who basically replicates many of Martin's roles with the team. The goal of the trade was reached well before. A Kevin Martin carbon copy coming along is just an interesting happenstance.

The goal was simply to get rid of anyone who would put limits on Tyreke's ballhandling and rim-attacking style of play. They wanted to tailor the team to Tyreke in this way because they had already labeled him their franchise player - once he got going last year, a lot of people were already heralding him as a superstar-type player and such. So this meant getting rid of any player that they viewed as standing in his way, no matter how good they were, what they had proved, or what they had already done for their team. If they didn't have the superstar potential that Tyreke did, they were gone if they stood in his way.

While Martin was out, the Kings theorized that Martin and Evans wouldn't mesh perfectly because of their tendencies to both put the ball on the floor. So when he came back and the team dipped a bit, they took this as a confirmation on their theory, and he was gone. He was a good player but by that time, they had more or less figured out what his ceiling was probably gonna be, and it wasn't as high as Tyreke's.

Maybe they would've done it differently if Martin had never gotten hurt. I'm sure they would've gotten more time to play together before the Kings pulled the trigger on a deal. And maybe the Kings were riding too much of a Tyreke high, even after taking this year's injury into account.

But the simple summary: the Kings saw superstar potential in their rookie Tyreke - in a year or two he could be the closest thing they'd had to a franchise centerpiece, All-Star team staple since a healthy Webber - so they had to give him the room to grow.

I personally still see the 25-5-5 player in Tyreke, so I still stand by the trade, because every time I saw Martin try to create the plays on his own meant one less time the ball was in a potential 25-5-5 machine.
So why was Thornton so well received with the team if he plays like Martin? Because when he came along, Reke wasn't playing like that 25-5-5 guy because of injury, and Thornton injected life into the backcourt. If Reke returns to form, Thornton might end up with the same fate as KMart - unless Sac has softened their stance with Tyreke.

I am sorry, but the Kings ain't the Lakers. This isn't Kobe and Shaq.
laugh.gif
The Kings will never have the luxury of trading away talent just to please a potentially better talent.

I only said the trade worked out because Thornton does a lot things similar to Martin and his contract will be cheaper than Martin's. I am not buying the whole we gotta trade anyone that is in Tyreke's way from superstar stardom on the Kings. They probably felt that those two didn't mesh well and Tyreke proved his worth by leading the Kings to the majority of the Kings' wins that season when Martin was injured. The Kings did go on a losing streak when Martin came back and of course Martin was frustrated. The Kings would also have drafted Greg Monroe over Cousins if that was the case too because Cousins is mos def going to get in Tyreke's way. As a Kings fan, I am happy that someone does challenge Tyreke because hopefully it will make Tyreke better and more importantly, the team better.

The Kings made a mistake in trading Martin so quickly and lucked out by getting Thornton two years later. Martin's trade value was too low at that time and there was just no need to force something like trading for Carl Landry, a super 6th man at the time.

If you are right and Tyreke is one of those players that need to be the "man" by himself and coddled by the organization then dayum, the Kings won't be winning anything any time soon.       

LeBron and Wade can work together for the most part, I would be
indifferent.gif
Tyreke if he doesn't adapt with Martin/Thornton/etc. Like I said, prove me wrong, Tyreke.     

I am sorry, but the Kings ain't the Lakers. This isn't Kobe and Shaq.
laugh.gif
The Kings will never have the luxury of trading away talent just to please a potentially better talent.

I only said the trade worked out because Thornton does a lot things similar to Martin and his contract will be cheaper than Martin's. I am not buying the whole we gotta trade anyone that is in Tyreke's way from superstar stardom on the Kings. They probably felt that those two didn't mesh well and Tyreke proved his worth by leading the Kings to the majority of the Kings' wins that season when Martin was injured. The Kings did go on a losing streak when Martin came back and of course Martin was frustrated. The Kings would also have drafted Greg Monroe over Cousins if that was the case too because Cousins is mos def going to get in Tyreke's way. As a Kings fan, I am happy that someone does challenge Tyreke because hopefully it will make Tyreke better and more importantly, the team better.

The Kings made a mistake in trading Martin so quickly and lucked out by getting Thornton two years later. Martin's trade value was too low at that time and there was just no need to force something like trading for Carl Landry, a super 6th man at the time.

If you are right and Tyreke is one of those players that need to be the "man" by himself and coddled by the organization then dayum, the Kings won't be winning anything any time soon.       

LeBron and Wade can work together for the most part, I would be
indifferent.gif
Tyreke if he doesn't adapt with Martin/Thornton/etc. Like I said, prove me wrong, Tyreke.     

[h1]Cousins gets T’d up … in a streetball game[/h1]
Sacramento Kings | Comments

textsize.gif

textsize_minus_l.gif

textsize_plus_d.gif

cousins.jpg

Despite his immaturity, DeMarcus Cousins has the potential to become one of the best big men in the league. (Cal Sport Media)

When DeMarcus Cousins becomes a very good NBA player, some people are going to have to apologize for writing him off prematurely as a hot-headed malcontent incapable of behaving like an adult within a team context. But for now, Cousins is just making it too easy.

While we were all barbecuing and playing beach volleyball and otherwise celebrating America’s independence, Cousins was busy earning a technical foul during a streetball game in Washington, D.C.’s legendary Goodman league, according to the Afro. Again: He earned a technical during a streetball game in a league that, according to every description I’ve read this morning, is part serious (there is lots of talent every summer) and informal, with some running trash-talk play-by-play from the commissioner and lots of the highlight showboating you normally see in streetball action. 

Cousins got called for traveling and threw the ball out of the gym. In a streetball game. 

I reached out this morning to league officials, via Twitter and their website, and a couple of folks who have covered the league regularly, to see how common technicals are at Goodman. I’ve never attended a game personally, so far all I know, players throw tantrums all the time and earn a pile of technicals. I haven’t yet heard back from those folks. Several NBA players, including Kevin Durant and John Wall, pop in and out of the league each summer, and I can’t find any reports of them getting T’d up. 

This comes after a season in which Cousins finished fifth in the league in technicals, got punished several times for yelling at Sacramento’s coaches; flashed the “choke

[h1]Cousins gets T’d up … in a streetball game[/h1]
Sacramento Kings | Comments

textsize.gif

textsize_minus_l.gif

textsize_plus_d.gif

cousins.jpg

Despite his immaturity, DeMarcus Cousins has the potential to become one of the best big men in the league. (Cal Sport Media)

When DeMarcus Cousins becomes a very good NBA player, some people are going to have to apologize for writing him off prematurely as a hot-headed malcontent incapable of behaving like an adult within a team context. But for now, Cousins is just making it too easy.

While we were all barbecuing and playing beach volleyball and otherwise celebrating America’s independence, Cousins was busy earning a technical foul during a streetball game in Washington, D.C.’s legendary Goodman league, according to the Afro. Again: He earned a technical during a streetball game in a league that, according to every description I’ve read this morning, is part serious (there is lots of talent every summer) and informal, with some running trash-talk play-by-play from the commissioner and lots of the highlight showboating you normally see in streetball action. 

Cousins got called for traveling and threw the ball out of the gym. In a streetball game. 

I reached out this morning to league officials, via Twitter and their website, and a couple of folks who have covered the league regularly, to see how common technicals are at Goodman. I’ve never attended a game personally, so far all I know, players throw tantrums all the time and earn a pile of technicals. I haven’t yet heard back from those folks. Several NBA players, including Kevin Durant and John Wall, pop in and out of the league each summer, and I can’t find any reports of them getting T’d up. 

This comes after a season in which Cousins finished fifth in the league in technicals, got punished several times for yelling at Sacramento’s coaches; flashed the “choke

I swear I read this reply verbatim somewhere other than this thread
eek.gif
laugh.gif

Do you post on Kingsfans.com bro?

I swear I read this reply verbatim somewhere other than this thread
eek.gif
laugh.gif

Do you post on Kingsfans.com bro?

I check out Sactown Royalty a lot.... But I never post there, bunch of homer-*@@!#+$'s
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

"Hey guys, why not trade the #7 pick for Igoudala"

"Naw, throw in Omri and lets get Marc Gasol and Rudy Gay"

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I check out Sactown Royalty a lot.... But I never post there, bunch of homer-*@@!#+$'s
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

"Hey guys, why not trade the #7 pick for Igoudala"

"Naw, throw in Omri and lets get Marc Gasol and Rudy Gay"

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Had a pretty interesting night the other night at Thunder Valley.............. Saw Carl Landry and ended up playing some Black Jack and chatted for about an hour, just me and him at the table. The dude is real cool and friendly, kinda awkward that I was the only person that recognized him.

Anyways from what I gathered basketball-wise.......... 

he HATES the Maloofs
laugh.gif
said he thinks it was their unwillingness to spend money was one of their main reasons for trading him.
Loves Sacto and the fans
smile.gif
smile.gif
pimp.gif

Really wants to play overseas during the lock out

Sees no light right now in terms of the lock out.

Interested in signing with OKC, Bucks, or NOH.

Had a pretty interesting night the other night at Thunder Valley.............. Saw Carl Landry and ended up playing some Black Jack and chatted for about an hour, just me and him at the table. The dude is real cool and friendly, kinda awkward that I was the only person that recognized him.

Anyways from what I gathered basketball-wise.......... 

he HATES the Maloofs
laugh.gif
said he thinks it was their unwillingness to spend money was one of their main reasons for trading him.
Loves Sacto and the fans
smile.gif
smile.gif
pimp.gif

Really wants to play overseas during the lock out

Sees no light right now in terms of the lock out.

Interested in signing with OKC, Bucks, or NOH.

Back
Top Bottom