:::[Official] San Francisco 49ers 2024 Season Thread [NFC CHAMPIONS]:::

Should UnicornHunter’s faithful card be revoked for his blasphemous Patrick Willis comments?

• Yes permanently

Votes: 31 79.5%
  • Yes temporarily

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • No

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...tiate-with-davis-or-boone-until-they-show-up/
49ers likely won’t negotiate with Davis or Boone until they show up

Posted by Mike Florio on June 19, 2014, 1:16 PM EDT

AP
49ers tight end Vernon Davis and guard Alex Boone want new contracts. They’ve boycotted offseason workouts to make it happen.

As Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com points out, that may not be the way to make it happen.

The 49ers have created a precedent that they won’t negotiate until a player shows up. That’s how the team handled it three years ago when running back Frank Gore held out in training camp, and that’s likely how they’ll handle it now.

Still, for a player under contract, the only leverage comes from the withholding of services. Despite terms like “mandatory minicamp,” a player can exert leverage by staying away and paying the fine of up to nearly $70,000.

The question becomes whether Davis and/or Boone are willing to stay away from mandatory training camp, where the fines spike and signing bonus money can be forfeited. The ultimate question is whether the 49ers will blink in the face of these holdouts, or whether they will adhere to the precedent that negotiations won’t occur if a player isn’t abiding by the terms of the deal he already has signed.

In the interim, coach Jim Harbaugh would like reporters to abide by his desire that they not ask him about the situation.

“We covered that pretty thoroughly yesterday,” Harbaugh told reporters Wednesday, when asked again about Davis and Boone. “I’ll just reiterate that I was disappointed in the decision not to come to the minicamp. didn’t call anybody out. There was no call out of anybody.”

Right. And he didn’t pursue Peyton Manning two years ago, merely “evaluated” him. And Harbaugh doesn’t want a new contract that would put him among the highest-paid coaches in the game.

“I thought that was ridiculous,” Harbaugh said of the characterization that he “called out” Davis and Boone by saying their absence isn’t “the 49er way.” (If that’s not calling them out, we’d love to see what he considers calling them out to be.) “And then, the second point is that we’re going to keep the focus on what is going on here, who is here and the players that we’re coaching. . . . So, we covered it yesterday and today we’re focusing on guys that are here. . . . To answer the three, four, five follow-up questions, it gets to be badgering. It gets old. I covered it thoroughly yesterday. I don’t feel like there is anything more to say about it at this time.”

The 49ers similarly don’t feel like there is anything to say to Davis or Boone until they show up. We’ll now wait to see whether they do.

And whether Harbaugh calls them out if they don’t.

And whether Harbaugh then claims he didn’t actually call them out, and that it’s ridiculous to think he did.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/19/marcus-lattimore-im-trying-to-take-frank-gores-job/
Marcus Lattimore: I’m trying to take Frank Gore’s job

Posted by Josh Alper on June 19, 2014, 9:18 AM EDT

AP
When running back Marcus Lattimore injured his knee at South Carolina in 2012, there was some doubt about whether he’d recover enough to play in the NFL at all.

Lattimore wound up sitting out his entire rookie season as he recovered, but has returned to the field this offseason and drawn compliments from the team’s coaching staff on the progress he’s shown over the last few months. That would seem to put Lattimore in position to gain some playing time behind Frank Gore in 2014, but Lattimore is aiming a bit higher.

“I’m trying to take [Gore's] job, but I know that’s going to be the hardest thing in the world,” Lattimore said, via USA Today.

That might be a bit too much for Lattimore to bite off right now, even if the team didn’t also have Kendall Hunter and Carlos Hyde looking for carries in a deep San Francisco backfield. For now, Lattimore is learning the offense and waiting for training camp and preseason to start to see how he does while taking hits on a knee that hasn’t been pushed to those limits in nearly two years.

If he handles that without trouble and then shows he can be a productive back in the regular season, Lattimore can truly set his sights on a starting job. After coming back from such a serious knee injury, it would be hard to bet against him.

Harbaugh had to have done something to Florio. Every article he writes about him is negative :lol:

so some stuff notable coming out of minicamp while we wait for the season to kickoff:

-brandon lloyd is looking really good. i wasnt expecting him to make this team but he might force their hand.

-d-mo(darryl morris) is looking good too.. the entire DB unit is making strides from chris cook to the rookie dontae johnson. i would keep an eye on dontae johnson. dude has a nice set of physical attributes. the combination of cook(6'3) and johnson(6'2) could provide us with our own version of huge CB combo.

-marcus lattimore is slowly getting back to form

WRs and DBs always look good in shorts and t shirts tho so take it as you may. football cant come soon enough. 
mean.gif

Last edited:
I'm glad mexico is keeping me entertained other wise i'd be super bored. No niners. Giants disappearing. Vernon taking shirtless selfies instead of practicing.

yeah usa/mexico/world cup has kept my focus away from the niners recently. 

so ive read hyde and ellington are impressing, and the cb battle is going to be good

also seen that interview with crabs, it looks like its on this year. 

damn we got a lot of beaners/latinos in here(including myself). 
tongue.gif

go usa doe 
pimp.gif

Last edited:
In one month it begins again my 49er brethren! training camp begins in exactly one month!!! :D :evil:

Last edited:
 Roman is a good OC as far coaching up his players and  football concepts. dude brought back A LOT of old school formations(wings, off set I, pro set, split backs, etc) and old school concepts back to the NFL that we had not seen in years(whams, traps, counters, etc.) that tons of teams are emulating now in addition to new stuff like the pistol and zone read.

My biggest complaints I have is the cute stuff and the questionable use of personnel ie no LMJ or screen to dixon
sick.gif
. All the fancy pre-snap movement. 
mean.gif

His biggest weakness is as a in-game play caller and in-game strategist. Hopefully they give more calls to Jimmy or Chryst.

Another thing that should help is the Niners have reduced their playbook by a big chunk. Niners had the biggest playbook in the NFL. 
sick.gif
 I saw a copy of the 1995 playbook and it was about 5 inches thick. I can't imagine what a hard copy of Roman's would look like.

Last edited:
Boobie looks like he can't read. Maybe that's why.

Just kidding. Bobbie da homie tho. #bangbang

Last edited:
 Roman is a good OC as far coaching up his players and  football concepts. dude brought back A LOT of old school formations(wings, off set I, pro set, split backs, etc) and old school concepts back to the NFL that we had not seen in years(whams, traps, counters, etc.) that tons of teams are emulating now in addition to new stuff like the pistol and zone read.

My biggest complaints I have is the cute stuff and the questionable use of personnel ie no LMJ or screen to dixon :x . All the fancy pre-snap movement. :smh:

His biggest weakness is as a in-game play caller and in-game strategist. Hopefully they give more calls to Jimmy or Chryst.

Another thing that should help is the Niners have reduced their playbook by a big chunk. Niners had the biggest playbook in the NFL. :x  I saw a copy of the 1995 playbook and it was about 5 inches thick. I can't imagine what a hard copy of Roman's would look like.

probably looks like a stack of yellowpages

with a bunch of plays calling for screen passes to mike iupati and formations with Bruce miller at slot

Lmfao

Speaking of which I love Bruce Miller, but I want to see less of him on the field on passing downs. There's no reason a fullback should be seeing the number of snaps he has in the past with the quality of receivers we have now. This also applies to that second tight end. Enough with the 22 personnel obsession.

Last edited:
question: say in the worst case, VD and/or boone both continue to hold out due to contract disputes and refuse to play parts of the season. rather than eventually losing them to FA, can we trade them while they're holding out? i imagine both these guys could commend some high draft picks in return.

i can't remember the last time a big name TE was traded.. maybe Tony Gonzalez becoming a Falcon?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom