OFFICIAL Seattle Mariners 2010 Season Thread: 7/22 - 7/25 vs. BOS (37-60)

According to Sweeney...

Designated hitter Mike Sweeney said the blame falls squarely on a Mariners lineup that has just two players hitting better than .300 and eight players hitting less than .220.

"It's brutal," Sweeney said. "Looking around this clubhouse there's a ton of players that deserve to get fired before he did and I'm one of them. I know our offense hasn't had a heartbeat, but it's not due to Alan Cockrell. It's us, the players.

"We're the ones that deserve all the criticism, not him. I will be the first one to stand up and take a bullet for that guy, because he got here early. He worked his butt off. He put in more hours than anybody in this whole clubhouse. It's tough to see a guy like that go."

Anyway, is Sims just doing radio now?  Been noticing Rizzs doing TV comm after the 3rd... 

EDIT ~ Josh Wilson with a 3-run jack.  Lets hope its finally a turn-around...

BACK TO BACK WITH SAUNDERS!

Saunders
pimp.gif

sweeney is problem 1 of many. griffey needs to be a bench coach. some players will turn it around, but no one is claiming m's for al west champs anymore.

good to see a W against the angels the day before a day off. hopefully this will raise moral a bit.

go m's

it's funny cause it seems the only person who can remove Griff from the lineup is himself....yall think he would do that?

122117m.gif

dont see that happening
laugh.gif
dont blame him either

....hey we do have an opening for a batting coach though, make it happen Griff
nerd.gif

roll.gif
Junior is going to have M's fans burning their memorabilia if he doesn't retire mid-season. Good W today, now a series against the pathetic Orioles.

Originally Posted by SinnerP

Anyway, is Sims just doing radio now?  Been noticing Rizzs doing TV comm after the 3rd... 

Dave and Rizzs have radio on lock from what I've been hearing (I have no cable), but on Sundays the broadcasters is always jumbled up. 
I hate Sims. 

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Shh ... Griffey's sleeping[/h1]

ESPN.com news services

Though he may be 40 years old now, sometimes "The Kid" needs to sleep.

2148.jpg

Griffey

Seattle Mariners star Ken Griffey Jr. missed a chance to enter an unspecified game last week as a pinch hitter because he was asleep in the clubhouse, according to a report from the Tacoma News Tribune.

When pressed following the game as to why he had not used the left-handed slugger as a pinch hitter, Mariners manager Don Wakamatsu was evasive.

But according to two unnamed younger Seattle players who are both fond of Griffey, the future Hall of Famer had fallen asleep.

"He was asleep in the clubhouse," one player told the Tribune. "He'd gone back about the fifth inning to get a jacket and didn't come back. I went back in about the seventh inning -- and he was in his chair, sound asleep."

The second player, who is reported to know Griffey better, claims the scuffling slugger has had difficulty sleeping at home.

"He doesn't sleep well at night, he's away from his family, he's comfortable in the clubhouse," he told the Tribune. "They could have awakened him."

Griffey is batting .208 with just five RBI for a last-place Mariners club that has struggled mightily in trying to get runs across the plate this season.

laugh.gif

Apparently, this isn't something new... he's been known to take naps in the clubhouse... but like Shannon here says, why didn't anyone wake him up?  
http://www.mynorthwest.com/?nid=374&sid=319267

According to Larry LaRue of the TNT Ken Griffey Jr. was not available for pinch hitting duties in Saturday's extra innings game against the Angels because he was asleep in the clubhouse. Two unnamed players told him this, neither seemed particularly concerned about it because they have seen it before. My question is, why didn't anyone wake him up?

Don Wakamatsu has joked about Junior sleeping in the clubhouse in the past. He has also then turned serious and said that he has a sleep issue. This is nothing new. I have asked Junior about this and he said that yes, this is true. It has been a problem for years. As a result, he naps. It is not uncommon to see him asleep on a training table before a game. Ichiro even commented on this in my interview with him this winter.

"When I see Junior I always think he should sleep at home rather than at the clubhouse. I always think that if he was able to do that he could have easily hit seven hundred homeruns by now."

The fact of the matter is that aside from his home in Florida the clubhouse is the most comfortable place for Junior to be. He and others have told me that it is one of the only places he can sleep. What they saw Saturday was nothing they haven't seen before. The stories are legendary and they span his career. Many a player have told me of Junior waking up from a catnap, grabbing his bat, heading straight to the plate and hitting a homerun. Lou Piniella has told stories of this. Junior catching a nap on an off day is nothing new.

There is plenty to be concerned about with Junior's production right now. There is plenty to be concerned about the production of many Mariners right now. Napping is not a problem. It is nothing new to the game. Players do not spend every minute of every game in the dugout. I am not looking to make an excuse for anyone here, just to give a clear picture that the nap was not an indicator of his commitment level. It is something he has done for years and for years when needed someone just woke him up.

The thing is, this wouldn't have been an issue if the team were winning.  When you're losing, everything's brought up... 
tired.gif

I always figured sleeping in the clubhouse is a usual for baseball....*+!# man it was a Sunday, let him sleep
laugh.gif

and Thank god for the Baltimore O's...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

SinnerP wrote:

The thing is, this wouldn't have been an issue if the team were winning.  When you're losing, everything's brought up... 
tired.gif

Exactly. I really didn't think of it as a big deal. Wak already came out and said that he wanted to give Rob Johnson a chance because he had 2 good ABs that night and it should be done at that. I have problem with those 'two players' who leak the story out. Had they problem with Junior sleeping in the clubhouse during the game then they should let Junior know about rather than go tell a reporter about it. 

"We don't think there are two players who said that (about Griffey sleeping). I challenged everyone in that room - if they said that to stand up and fight me. No one stood up."
Sweeny quote
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Elpablo21

"We don't think there are two players who said that (about Griffey sleeping). I challenged everyone in that room - if they said that to stand up and fight me. No one stood up."
Sweeny quote
laugh.gif

pimp.gif

Gotta love Sweeney for keeping things in order...
But I agree, you can't have 2 guys running their mouths, anonymous, to the media. Benefits no one, 'cept the blogs.

Well, a nice winning streak will put this issue to bed (pun intended).

Great, great AB by Saunders... fought off 10+ pitches and ended up getting a hit to tie the game.
Followed by a 2-run IchiBomb!

And Sweeney and Saunders too!  
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom