OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET AND ECONOMY THREAD VOL. A NEW CHAPTER

Any thoughts on keeping money in those high yield, online savings banks at this time?

I mean, those yields are designed to draw in and keep clients, i.e maintain liquidity, which makes me think that there has to be some serious, risky leveraging going on.

Any thoughts on keeping money in those high yield, online savings banks at this time?

I mean, those yields are designed to draw in and keep clients, i.e maintain liquidity, which makes me think that there has to be some serious, risky leveraging going on.

No - I have a substantial balance in SoFi. Not concerned at all. The high yield savings products are generally FDIC insured.

Just to point out the “risky leverage” comment - SoFi pays me 3.75% on HYS, but they’re able to get 4.5%+ on short term treasuries. They keep the spread. At scale this is significant. And in theory, treasuries are “risk free”.

Would dispel the thinking that consumer banking products under FDIC limits at healthy rates are risky. All good as long as you’re protected.

Seems like lots of protections went into banking after 2008. Interesting that this is happening again. Maybe continuing to restrict and regulate banks is a good thing. It makes no sense to me that a bank takes money and then does risky things with it. Seems like an overall not great approach.

That said I don’t understand the banking world at all.

Fq9lhohWAAEN80K

Back
Top Bottom