OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET AND ECONOMY THREAD VOL. A NEW CHAPTER

So I have about $70k in my Roth 401k. Been reading a lot of investment books where they say anything less than $150-$200k it's not worth it to hire a financial planner.

My question is until I get to that point should I just leave all my funds in the s&p 500 index until I reach that point? There's also the Wilshire 5000 index which gives exposure to the entire market.

Just started reading about eft and while intrigued I want to read an little more before I pull the trigger.

And also since I'm 40 and presumably will be working for the next 20- 25 hours what's the point in rebalancing? I don't need the money right now anyway so why rebalance if my portfolio is obtaining a higher percentage of stocks than bonds. I'm okay with the volatility.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.

So I have about $70k in my Roth 401k. Been reading a lot of investment books where they say anything less than $150-$200k it's not worth it to hire a financial planner.

My question is until I get to that point should I just leave all my funds in the s&p 500 index until I reach that point? There's also the Wilshire 5000 index which gives exposure to the entire market.

Just started reading about eft and while intrigued I want to read an little more before I pull the trigger.

And also since I'm 40 and presumably will be working for the next 20- 25 hours what's the point in rebalancing? I don't need the money right now anyway so why rebalance if my portfolio is obtaining a higher percentage of stocks than bonds. I'm okay with the volatility.

Thanks.

I’d hit the finance thread - this is the “Degen Gamblers Anonymous” one

Thanks.
Not worth a financial planner at this point, most charge ~1%+. S & P been putting up ~10%/year historically, it did even better these last few years if you want to go that route--VOO is a popular ETF that follows the S&P with low expense ratio 0.03% if you decide on that. Some go more smaller caps to diversify (VTI), some do more international to diversify (VT whole world including U.S., VXUS whole world not including U.S.A.). Some go more aggressive with tech-based stuff. I'm in mid-30s so I go more aggressive for now, and I'll rebalance everything when closer to retirement. NFA and all that

Thanks.
You are fine. Do not hire anyone. Do not rebalance. I am 100% equities at all times. Idk if I will ever own fixed income.

On the Wilshire I can kinda see the rationale, small and mid cap should rally post rate cuts but I couldn't care about owning Non-US.

The S&P 500 is the stock market IMO. You can't go wrong with it. It's the US economy and the US economy is the global economy. The only way the S&P fails is if capitalism fails.

Last edited:
Not worth a financial planner at this point, most charge ~1%+. S & P been putting up ~10%/year historically, it did even better these last few years if you want to go that route--VOO is a popular ETF that follows the S&P with low expense ratio 0.03% if you decide on that. Some go more smaller caps to diversify (VTI), some do more international to diversify (VT whole world including U.S., VXUS whole world not including U.S.A.). Some go more aggressive with tech-based stuff. I'm in mid-30s so I go more aggressive for now, and I'll rebalance everything when closer to retirement. NFA and all that

In the same boat, what do you go with to be aggressive?

I don’t understand paying for an advisor when you could buy the same **** they’ll sell you for free like the index. You’ll outperform them too by not buying their ******** diversification.

In the same boat, what do you go with to be aggressive?
I’m heavy in semiconductors long term. Need semiconductors for computers, smart devices, servers, AI etc. mostly in semiconductor ETFs: SMH, FSELX (work retirement through fidelity only lets me auto-invest in FSELX).

Then I have “large cap growth” FSPGX (fidelity fund Again that lets me auto-invest, but several similar ETFs). These are all the huge companies: apple, Microsoft, Amazon, Google etc.

No intentional international or small cap exposure, so my strategy is not everyone’s cup of tea. U.S. has beat out international for awhile now and if U.S is down, world is probably down too. Then I go large cap over small because macro-view capitalism lets the Huge companies flourish exponentially imo. In market downturns, my aggressive portfolio will get hurt significantly more than other more traditional strategies, but I’m in it for the long haul.

Back
Top Bottom