OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET & ECONOMY THREAD VOL. SCHOOL'S OUT

Personally, I think you could do better than Sprint right now. It's cheap for a reason when you think about it.

FreakDestroyer, is there any particular reason you're so bullish on LNKD?

Need some advice. I have about $1000 to invest. How do I go about investing? Do I open an account with a trading company like etrade or charles schwab?

Originally Posted by DaBottom305

Do anyone think its a good idea to invest in Sprint?

They're at $2.80 but their 52 week high is $6.45.

i been watching that ... but have stayed on the sidelines ... 

i'm really gonna dig in for earnings season ... 

adobe and oracle kick start next week ... if they kick off by exceeding expectations ... the tech sector will gain along w/ apple which moves up on any positive data anyway ... should be fun and hopefully i'm smilling next week

Originally Posted by Michael Kelso

Need some advice. I have about $1000 to invest. How do I go about investing? Do I open an account with a trading company like etrade or charles schwab?
Scottrade is simple and easy to use.

$1000 isn't much though...

When I first started I dropped $20k+ but even then it's not really much to do any real investing...

Originally Posted by freakydestroyer

It looks okay IMO, not much action. I would be much more optimistic when it clears $3.
Gotcha. I was curious because I wanted to get the most for my bucks since I'm investing about $300 into it. Hoping to at least double. 
I checked this site http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/s and when I did the 3 year breakdown they're at the lowest they've been in that time frame.

In 07' they were over $20. damn.  

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Personally, I think you could do better than Sprint right now. It's cheap for a reason when you think about it.

FreakDestroyer, is there any particular reason you're so bullish on LNKD?

Where do unemployed people spend their time online? I kid, but really
laugh.gif
. Facebook IPO is going to drive up all the web stocks across the board, especially LNKD. I mean look at the increase in volume these past couple months. Someone knows something and is buying it.

It looks okay IMO, not much action. I would be much more optimistic when it clears $3.
Gotcha. I was curious because I wanted to get the most for my bucks since I'm investing about $300 into it. Hoping to at least double. 
I checked this site http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/s and when I did the 3 year breakdown they're at the lowest they've been in that time frame.

Don't bottom fish, it's not good for your bank account or your health. You might win some, but give it back immediately.

Don't bottom fish, it's not good for your bank account or your health. You might win some, but give it back immediately.

nerd.gif
 What's bottom fish? And give what back?

I'm still learning. 
frown.gif

nerd.gif

I'm still learning. 
frown.gif
Bottom fishing means you find "cheap" stocks and compare it to past prices hoping to make a profit. What I mean by that is that you might be right and win here and there, but it is not a sustainable way to play this game. You might end up giving back all your profits in your next trade.

In other news, I'm glad to see this thread active these past few days.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

nerd.gif

I'm still learning. 
frown.gif
Bottom fishing means you find "cheap" stocks and compare it to past prices hoping to make a profit. What I mean by that is that you might be right and win here and there, but it is not a sustainable way to play this game. You might end up giving back all your profits in your next trade.

In other news, I'm glad to see this thread active these past few days.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Thanks man. I only chose Sprint because they're a major telecommunications company and I can imagine them going any lower then $1. i could be wrong but that would be really bad. 

YES! i'm excited lets keep this thread active! I've been investing for about 8 months now and I won't lie im still confused a lot, i'm glad i have experienced people here to help with their words of wisdom.

Couple quick questions:

1. Bullish - this is positive right? means analysts think it will go up?

2. Bearish - the opposite of above?

3. Who the hell came up with these terms.. lol

Bulls are buyers, so they are optimistic.
Bears are sellers, so they are pessimistic.

According to Wikipedia:
When a bull fights it swipes its horns up; when a bear fights it swipes down on its opponents with its paws.

That's an easy way to remember it.

I want to take bets that AAPL gaps down tomorrow. Yes, very bold considering that day trading is not my style and the iPad 3 releases.
laugh.gif

Thanks man. I only chose Sprint because they're a major telecommunications company and I can imagine them going any lower then $1. i could be wrong but that would be really bad. 

It might go up, it might not. There's just not much action going on with S right now. The market is in an uptrend and there are so many better stocks out there right now, like the ones I mentioned.

It might go up, it might not. There's just not much action going on with S right now. The market is in an uptrend and there are so many better stocks out there right now, like the ones I mentioned.

nerd.gif
 where? 

nerd.gif
 where? 
Not to sound like an azzhole, but it's right in front of you. NKE, LNKD, GOOG, BAC, SKUL. Probably a couple others I missed. I think I might have mentioned AMZN, but that thing has no legs right now, but I'd keep an eye on it. Again, that's all IMO and I am a swing trader. If the markets correct or fall into a downtrend, most of these are invalidated.

nerd.gif
 where? 
Not to sound like an azzhole, but it's right in front of you. NKE, LNKD, GOOG, BAC, SKUL. Probably a couple others I missed. But again, that's all IMO and I am a swing trader. If the markets correct or fall into a downtrend, most of these are invalidated.
I saw those, I thought you mentioned cheaper stocks on previous pages. The only one I can afford to cop over 10 shares from what you posted was SKUL.  My initial plan was to buy cheap stock by the 10s. I did it a few years ago with AIG. As soon as the creeped up past $1, I copped 100 (or 200+ cant remember) shares. Then I'm not sure what happened but it shot up to $23 then a huge portion of my shares disappeared. I had no idea what was going on 
laugh.gif

nerd.gif
 where? 
Not to sound like an azzhole, but it's right in front of you. NKE, LNKD, GOOG, BAC, SKUL. Probably a couple others I missed. But again, that's all IMO and I am a swing trader. If the markets correct or fall into a downtrend, most of these are invalidated.
I saw those, I thought you mentioned cheaper stocks on previous pages. The only one I can afford to cop over 10 shares from what you posted was SKUL.  My initial plan was to buy cheap stock by the 10s. I did it a few years ago with AIG. As soon as the creeped up past $1, I copped 100 (or 200+ cant remember) shares. Then I'm not sure what happened but it shot up to $23 then a huge portion of my shares disappeared. I had no idea what was going on 
laugh.gif
AIG, did that happen when they had the split? BAC is under $10 right now, but won't be for long. That's a "cheap" stock. For what it's worth, most of the strongest winners I have come across were basing above $50. Cheap does not always equate to good value, just food for thought. I also mentioned that currency trading might be a good option for those who aren't starting off with much. Or if you want to try options that might work too... Just know the risk/reward and what you are getting yourself into.

3 pages in a day?

Now I know the market will be correcting soon.  
roll.gif

Maybe take a chance on some deep otm AAP puts.

Corning GLW is another good cheap stock. I'd take a look at Pulte Homes PHM as wel, but I'm not too into the home builders.

This is a gamble but you can look at PURE they're releasing reports tomorrow i believe so at .352 you could afford to buy some. Just know this is a penny stock so it's quite a gamble.

According to Wikipedia:
When a bull fights it swipes its horns up; when a bear fights it swipes down on its opponents with its paws.

I want to take bets that AAPL gaps down tomorrow. Yes, very bold considering that day trading is not my style and the iPad 3 releases.
laugh.gif
Any takers?
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Corning GLW is another good cheap stock. I'd take a look at Pulte Homes PHM as wel, but I'm not too into the home builders.

I like those, except they're not moving fast enough. Setting up nicely, I'd keep my eye them.

Edit: I took another look at GLW, how did you come across this one?

According to Wikipedia:

laugh.gif
Any takers?
nerd.gif
Fridays always throw me off. I never know what to expect. 
If AAPL does drop again tomorrow, I guarantee we see another run up next week. Past $600. 

Back
Top Bottom