OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET & ECONOMY THREAD VOL. SCHOOL'S OUT

study tim sykes' videos and follow @modern_rock and @mrockrulez on twitter. study and learn how and why to trading. use a stop and let set risk be your edge. i'd recommend the investors live trading dvd if you have the money. follow @investorslive on twitter as well in case of any sales or deals for his dvd or service.

Depending on how much cash you have to use, I would suggest investing in one of the indexes. The S&P 500 for example "is a stock market index based on the market capitalizations of 500 large companies having common stock listed on the NYSE or NASDAQ". Basically, it is the conglomeration of 500 large companies picked by committee that people will invest in. Here's a chart of 5 year growth: http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=^gspc+interactive from roughly 1k-1.9k, it's worth noting that the market has been doing exceptionally well the last few years though.

Thanks for the reply. I am familiar with the S&P and how trading works. My question was where would be a good start. Has anyone made any good returns within the past 6-12 months. I know the market is more of a long time thing, but I am thinking more short term gains as I want to gain and flip. Currently I flip houses and wanted to see if I could incorporate what I have learned in this avenue into the stock market. About the same amount of risk, but less work associated with it. I have about 11k to play with but I am nervous of taking a loss/ This is why i mentioned Penny Stocks as I know they arent S&P but some ive been looking at had some nice gains within the past 4-5 months.

trusy urself.

True that. Great Advice in any sitaution.

Thanks for the reply. I am familiar with the S&P and how trading works. My question was where would be a good start. Has anyone made any good returns within the past 6-12 months. I know the market is more of a long time thing, but I am thinking more short term gains as I want to gain and flip. Currently I flip houses and wanted to see if I could incorporate what I have learned in this avenue into the stock market. About the same amount of risk, but less work associated with it. I have about 11k to play with but I am nervous of taking a loss/ This is why i mentioned Penny Stocks as I know they arent S&P but some ive been looking at had some nice gains within the past 4-5 months.
True that. Great Advice in any sitaution.
Buy low and sell high. Buy before news announcements or releases. Example: Iphone 6 hasn't been released yet and have not released any news of coming out. The new Iphone has coincidentally came out every september, just before the holidays. Buy appl before news of the release (now, or august should be good), the stock will without fail, go up. Iphone will be released, and go up again. Sell after profits.

This is just an example. Do your own research before you invest any of your own money.

study tim sykes' videos and follow @modern_rock and @mrockrulez on twitter. study and learn how and why to trading. use a stop and let set risk be your edge. i'd recommend the investors live trading dvd if you have the money. follow @investorslive on twitter as well in case of any sales or deals for his dvd or service.

Awesome!!!! Thank you!

Not sure I agree with the above statement about apple. Sounds too easy and the markets are forward looking so iphone 6 is priced into the stock pps already. We all know it is coming Sept/Oct

Not sure I agree with the above statement about apple. Sounds too easy and the markets are forward looking so iphone 6 is priced into the stock pps already. We all know it is coming Sept/Oct
When official release of Iphone6 comes out, I will reference back with results

We are in one of the greatest bull markets of all time. I would bet the stock goes up. That's not the point

We are in one of the greatest bull markets of all time. I would bet the stock goes up. That's not the point
I will specifically wait until the day that the apple iphone6 is officially announced to be released (maybe two weeks or so prior). Not the release of the iphone6. The stock will go up with investors clamoring to get in. The point of my comment was to invest prior to news/releases. I am saying that it will go up, you are saying you disagree. What is the point that I am missing?

I've always been more of a long term investor, so if I like the company, I just keep putting money behind them (Apple). I don't think I know enough to be trading that often on news and other stuff.

pdino pdino the point being that healthy stocks are going to go up in a bull market. Trying to time buying before the news is not great advice for a new investor imo

lol at gurus, cut the BS already. if you want the BS, watch CNBC. typical retail guys with egos here swapping ideas. lol. i can tell you, thats not how it works.

as said, stock moves ahead of news. news dont necessarily move stocks. which is why there is discord between price and news.

what you are supposed to tell the rooke, is that you dont trade or expose yourself on earnings day. but yet again, here in 2014, retail guys keep boasting egotistically about this and that.

Hey, I have no ego, nor am I boasting.

I'm relatively new to investing and this strategy has worked well for me.

Several examples how stocks will be impacted by news:

News of Pharmaceutical company advances drug to phase 3 or is FDA approved. The stock WILL go up

News of Merger and acquisitions: when a merger and acquisition is announced the acquired stock WILL go up because the merger company is offering a price to buy off the shares of the acquired.

Here's a real life example from today:http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-kroger-vitacost-20140702-story.html

Acquired stock goes up 26%.

News of quarterly earning reports: stocks will fluctuate based on their quarterly earning reports. If the stock is doing better than expected, in general investors will invest and it will go up.

Heres a real life example of today: Tesla stock goes down 10 points based on news of poor earnings:

http://www.thestreet.com/story/12764011/1/why-tesla-motors-tsla-stock-is-falling-today.html

The list goes on..

This strategy has worked for me, I wanted to impart my strategy that has been working, with appropriate disclaimer:
This is just an example. Do your own research before you invest any of your own money.
Apologies if I was the one who came off "boasting egotistically", because that was not my intent

yea I'm a retail trader with an ego. Thanks for the kind words :tongue:

all I'm saying is I think dude's system is flawed and is not good advice for a beginner.. the old adage goes buy the rumor sell the news

T's been a nice trade so far. my options have gone from .05 to .12. but I've learned there's no reason to get too excited till the trade is closed. goes ex-dividend tomorrow.

Edit: took the trade off at .13 a contract. did what I wanted. probably should have sold half instead of the whole lot since they would've been freebies, but i'm satisfied with what i got here.

Last edited:
T's been a nice trade so far. my options have gone from .05 to .12. but I've learned there's no reason to get too excited till the trade is closed. goes ex-dividend tomorrow.

Edit: took the trade off at .13 a contract. did what I wanted. probably should have sold half instead of the whole lot since they would've been freebies, but i'm satisfied with what i got here.

Niiiiiice :pimp:

This market's been really bipolar. Lots of big up and downswings

Last edited:
>

after

AA - Alcoa
AVAV - AeroVironment
TCS - The Container Store

>

after

HELE - Helen of Troy

>

before

FDO - Family Dollar Stores

after

CUDA - Barracuda Networks
EOPN - E2open

>

before

WFC - Wells Fargo

nice gap down today. let's see if we bounce off these lows. was watching sune around that 23 level. still may be interested in a trade if theres decent set risk close to 22. other than that, not really in a rush to play anything. AAPL could be a bounce candidate and worth my attention if there's higher lows.

Hey guys I am thinking of getting into the stock market. Do you have any advice for a new jack? I am thinking of penny stocks as a get in and get out solution would anyone recommend that? Thanks in advance for your help guys!
Can be very risky. With that said, I may get in on some American Apparel tomorrow.

Man, this thread is dead.

Earnings season:

> July 14

before

C - Citigroup

>

before

GS - Goldman Sachs
JBHT - JB Hunt Transport Services
JNJ - Johnson & Johnson
JPM - JPMorgan Chase

after

CSX - CSX Corp
INTC - Intel
YHOO - Yahoo

>

before

ABT - Abbott Labs
BAC - Bank of America Corp
USB - U.S. Bancorp

after

eBay - e Bay
LVS - Las Vegas Sands
SNDK - SanDisk
YUM - Yum Brands

>

before

AN - AutoNation
ADS - Alliance Data Systems
BAX - Baxter International
BHI - Baker Hughes
BX - Blackstone Group
CY - Cypress Semi
MAT - Mattel
MS - Morgan Stanley
NCTC - NetScout Systems
PM - Philip Morris
PPG - PPG Industries
SAP - SAP
SHW - Sherwin-Williams
TZOO - Travelzoo
UNH - UnitedHealth Group

after

AMD - Advanced Micro Devices
ATHN - Athena Health
BGS - B&G Foods
GOOG - Google
GOOGL - Google
IBM - International Business Machines
SLB - Schlumberger
STX - Seagate Technology
SWKS - Skyworks Solutions

>

before

GE - General Electric
HON - Honeywell
JCI - Johnson Controls
KSU - Kansas City Southern
VFC - VF Corp

I got killed over the last week and a half, was gonna flip GTAT at its high but was so busy at work that I forgot about it before I began my July 4th holiday, it began its dive the following Monday. damn analysts with their bs downgrades

Last edited:
Tempted to pull the trigger on YHOO calls prior to ER. Mayer is crafty and is very aware of the low sentiment around her company. Something like a stock buy back announcement or positive guidance could send shares sharply higher, with baba IPO around the corner.

Back
Top Bottom