Official Stock Market & Economy Thread

Yeah. I want the money I lost in FAS plus interest.
happy.gif

Buy and hold on anything oil related.
Long on Dell (earnings coming out on thursday)

Gold is the #1 talk of the financial world right now, i bought in back around 865 and sold on friday when it hit 1,000. I am very confused, undecided, torn onthe gold issue at the moment. The reason being, how the F is it hovering around 1,000 right now with all the economic messes that are going on in the worldright now? Is gold not a hedge against economic uncertainity/turmoil?? And this week so far the miner stocks are down, down a substantial amount, some even15%. How is this possible when gold is in high demand at nearly 1,000 an ounce, the main cost to miners is the power from oil needed to do the physical miningwhich is at nearly 52 week lows. From my research it costs your average miner $400 per ounce from the ground to the buyer in total costs, how are these stocksdown?

But yes i am bullish on gold for 09. I am just waiting for the right time to buy in.

whoever was holding uxg, when did you get out. since the day i said to take profits it has tanked.

Originally Posted by keiththekid1

Gold is the #1 talk of the financial world right now, i bought in back around 865 and sold on friday when it hit 1,000. I am very confused, undecided, torn on the gold issue at the moment. The reason being, how the F is it hovering around 1,000 right now with all the economic messes that are going on in the world right now? Is gold not a hedge against economic uncertainity/turmoil?? And this week so far the miner stocks are down, down a substantial amount, some even 15%. How is this possible when gold is in high demand at nearly 1,000 an ounce, the main cost to miners is the power from oil needed to do the physical mining which is at nearly 52 week lows. From my research it costs your average miner $400 per ounce from the ground to the buyer in total costs, how are these stocks down?

But yes i am bullish on gold for 09. I am just waiting for the right time to buy in.
did you pay fees for selling and buying?

Originally Posted by illmatickal

Originally Posted by keiththekid1

I concur
@*$! Oil.
laugh.gif

Short term it might bounce a bit but Oil corp's are dead. Well, most of 'em.
Most of them are leveraged to the hilt from the 100+ oil days. We'll see sub 30 oil before we even see $50 oil again.

Most of all. @*$! XOM. $70? Really? $15 billion in share buybacks. Nope, not propping up their equity at all.
Oil equities will get crushed relatively soon.... I think.... Don't take my word for it though.
laugh.gif

erx had a nice jump today ...
smile.gif
... srs had a steep decline ... looking for it to rebound tomorrow ...

i wonder if the rally extends until the end of the month b4 we push 7000

Haha you can't be serious, falling demand, plus contango has hardly narrowed.

[color= rgb(0, 0, 255)]What do you have insider information or anything? (not doubting you)[/color]

Gold is the #1 talk of the financial world right now, i bought in back around 865 and sold on friday when it hit 1,000.I am very confused, undecided, torn on the gold issue at the moment. The reason being, how the F is it hovering around 1,000 right now with all the economicmesses that are going on in the world right now? Is gold not a hedge against economic uncertainity/turmoil?? And this week so far the miner stocks are down,down a substantial amount, some even 15%. How is this possible when gold is in high demand at nearly 1,000 an ounce, the main cost to miners is the power fromoil needed to do the physical mining which is at nearly 52 week lows. From my research it costs your average miner $400 per ounce from the ground to the buyerin total costs, how are these stocks down?

[color= rgb(0, 0, 255)]No way!! It's fundamentals are there, and ready to shoot up even higher. Last I checked, many ofthe gold mining companies are diversified, in that they mine OTHER metals, and those OTHER metals are facing demand destruction right now, so it does makesense that they are trading lower. [/color]

Originally Posted by reigndrop

What do you have insider information or anything? (not doubting you)

Gold is the #1 talk of the financial world right now, i bought in back around 865 and sold on friday when it hit 1,000. I am very confused, undecided, torn on the gold issue at the moment. The reason being, how the F is it hovering around 1,000 right now with all the economic messes that are going on in the world right now? Is gold not a hedge against economic uncertainity/turmoil?? And this week so far the miner stocks are down, down a substantial amount, some even 15%. How is this possible when gold is in high demand at nearly 1,000 an ounce, the main cost to miners is the power from oil needed to do the physical mining which is at nearly 52 week lows. From my research it costs your average miner $400 per ounce from the ground to the buyer in total costs, how are these stocks down?

No way!! It's fundamentals are there, and ready to shoot up even higher. Last I checked, many of the gold mining companies are diversified, in that they mine OTHER metals, and those OTHER metals are facing demand destruction right now, so it does make sense that they are trading lower.
The supply of oil right now, measured by actual drilling is very low. The price is indeed down, which as you know from economics 101 drives demandup. Historically the cheaper the oil, the more oil begins to get used, then price of course follows and goes up. This is more of a long term play. do i expectto see oil at 140 like we previous did? no way. In my opinion that was a false price driven up by hedge funds, then a large sell off by the hedge funds made itcrash swiftly. I could be wrong...we will see.

As far as Dell goes. Inside information? I wish, i would be too busy counting money to be posting in here if i had inside info j/k. But as far as Dell goes,from a financial aspect it is just down right CHEAP at $8. They have 8.5 billion in cash and only 2 billion in liabilities. They cut costs by 12% in the lastquarter. Dell is an industry leader right now in the "netbook" trend which is in higher demand due to cash strapped consumers wanting a computer forless money. The last time Dell was selling below $10 they had one sixth the revenue they do now. Basically the stock is a good deal from a financial aspect.But again we will have to wait and see.

And i agree gold is ready to shoot up, i am just a little weirded it out it has not. But i am bullish on gold, i am just on the sidelines right now getting mymoney right waiting for the best opportunity to buy in big.

Originally Posted by reigndrop

What do you have insider information or anything? (not doubting you)

No way!! It's fundamentals are there, and ready to shoot up even higher. Last I checked, many of the gold mining companies are diversified, in that they mine OTHER metals, and those OTHER metals are facing demand destruction right now, so it does make sense that they are trading lower.
The supply of oil right now, measured by actual drilling is very low. The price is indeed down, which as you know from economics 101 drives demandup. Historically the cheaper the oil, the more oil begins to get used, then price of course follows and goes up. This is more of a long term play. do i expectto see oil at 140 like we previous did? no way. In my opinion that was a false price driven up by hedge funds, then a large sell off by the hedge funds made itcrash swiftly. I could be wrong...we will see.

As far as Dell goes. Inside information? I wish, i would be too busy counting money to be posting in here if i had inside info j/k. But as far as Dell goes,from a financial aspect it is just down right CHEAP at $8. They have 8.5 billion in cash and only 2 billion in liabilities. They cut costs by 12% in the lastquarter. Dell is an industry leader right now in the "netbook" trend which is in higher demand due to cash strapped consumers wanting a computer forless money. The last time Dell was selling below $10 they had one sixth the revenue they do now. Basically the stock is a good deal from a financial aspect.But again we will have to wait and see.

And i agree gold is ready to shoot up, i am just a little weirded it out it has not. But i am bullish on gold, i am just on the sidelines right now getting mymoney right waiting for the best opportunity to buy in big.

Bought in FAZ last week at 56.85 before it climbed a bit.
Down 23 pts. today..
mad.gif
smh.gif

Anyways, my class is playing the Stock Market Game. (Yes, senior in HS)
My team is way ahead of my class since other people bought into stupid crap.
Anyone have any tips? Like alternatives to FAZ? I'm also looking to buy gold.

Originally Posted by GasBreakFlip707

I'm buying into HMY now, hoping for the best.
embarassed.gif
current price seems too expensive for HMY and it just doesn't seem like a good pick. You could probably find better bargains out there. IMO

interested to see where AAPL goes with pressure mounting from Jobs' absence... so far, up 6% on the year.

Back
Top Bottom