***Official Tattoo Thread: Inked-4-Life Vol.2***

Added to inner bicep, 1or 2 more sessions to finish half sleeve

some of mine, still need to finish my left sleeve, prob just gonna add purple clouds and water waves to finish it.

Carlos Torres is a beast from the Left coast.

Some of my favorite pieces from Carlos. Keep in mind most of these are his old works. He's gotten so much better too

I was having friendly debate with a fellow from the Staying Fit thread, I didnt wanna clutter that thread so I figure id take his response in here.

Originally Posted by Indeedsir  

There is no one correct way to heal a tattoo. One artist will say that you should keep it wrapped but refresh the wraps a few times a day, while the other will say to remove it right away when you get home. Some say 2-3 hours the other will say 5-8 hours..Some say use ointment for 4 days while others say 2 weeks. Every artist will tell you something else. And you will sweat anyway even when not working out while wearing it for 2-3 hours so it won't really make that much of a difference if you have a 1,5 hour workout.
Why wait 2-3 days though? The healing process takes up to a month or so. In total I have had 5 tattoo sessions and I never had any problems. 
wink.gif

Every artist will tell you something different, but IMO there are "better" ways to heal a tattoo. I have never heard any artist or heard anyone using ointment for up to two weeks, thats just excessive. Some artists will tell you that no ointment is needed and you can go straight to Lubriderm or Aveeno. I have tried that before with smaller tattoos and it turned out great. For my larger pieces I feel the Aquaphor helps heal it quicker. Theres a difference between excessive sweat, thats just not good for the pores of new tattoos, and the 2-3 day wait is primarily for infection reasons. 2-3 days is typicall when youre done using Aquaphor which means the tattoo should be healed enough to atleats not get infected by exposure atleast. Normal healing is 2 weeks but that all depends on the person.

Im not trying to say youre wrong and im right, its just from personal experience and other things I have heard. If it works for you and you have no problems, by all means go ahead. As long as its working for you, then thats all that matters.

I think my last tattoo session healed up the best and my tattoo guy said you use Aquaphor. His instructions were to keep the bandage wrapped for at least 4-5 hours after and then lightly wash it with water to clean and apply Aquaphor for like4-5 days after. I saw a noticeable difference in just how my tattoo went to scabbing really fast. After all the scabs fell off, then I'd just use unscented lotion for however many days after.

I am sure people have other methods but I am sure most lead to the same goal. I doubt the other ways are that much worse or that much better.

Why use unscented lotion?? all i have is scented moisturized I used after getting out of the tanning bed 
laugh.gif

When it starts scabbing I should stop using aquaphor right?

James Spencer Briggs is an underrated tattoo god.

His work is pretty clean man. Thanks for throwin his name out there. I would have never known.

Lately I've been getting really into realism tattoos. I just can never understand how people spend +700 on some junk. Chances are if you want something respectable and realistic you will be on a waiting list. Don't get me wrong there is some artist's who sometimes don't have full day scheduled but for the most part it's a waiting game.

Frongstar just repped you my dude. You've been dropping knowledge on these threads for a minute.

Why use unscented lotion?? all i have is scented moisturized I used after getting out of the tanning bed :lol:

Scented lotions have chemicals/ perfumes that aren't in unscented lotions. And I was told to use copious amounts of lotion even after scabbing.. The scabs will peel off anyways.

My artist is @jasonmcafee from Temple Tattoo in Oakland (Freddy Corbin's shop)

I use Aveeno from day 1 whenever I have fresh ink on my skin. All mine have healed great with minimal scabbing. 

im into religious, realistic, portraits, traditional, script and gangsta/hood type pieces. mostly black and grey work since color doesn't look good on me, but real recognize real. hopefully i can get some decent quality pics of what i got to put up soon. let see yalls work. in the mean time i'll share some pics ive saved over time. some might even be from previous volumes.

info on this one? what style is this? want to use this background for my next piece that I am designing for my newborn daughter :smokin

Here's an updated pic of my foo dog, got lots of shading and some coloring done since my last post. I got another session and I should be done.
The detail around the face is really good. It has that depth. Excellent work. How much did this run you if you don't mind me asking

Last edited:
Why use unscented lotion?? all i have is scented moisturized I used after getting out of the tanning bed :lol:

Scented lotion on a 2-3 day old tattoo is painful. I normally do aquaphor for 2 days and aveeno after. I grabbed my wife's scented stuff in a rush while my ribs were healing, and the burning/stinging lasted for a good 5-10 minutes after I applied it.

Why use unscented lotion?? all i have is scented moisturized I used after getting out of the tanning bed 
laugh.gif

Scented lotion on a 2-3 day old tattoo is painful. I normally do aquaphor for 2 days and aveeno after. I grabbed my wife's scented stuff in a rush while my ribs were healing, and the burning/stinging lasted for a good 5-10 minutes after I applied it.
damn, next time I'll probably go 5-7 days of aquaphor then move to my scented stuff, I don't feel like buying new stuff. 

I know I for sure used to much aquaphor last time, but it still heeled up nicely 

3 days would be fine with Aquaphor IMO. 5-7 days is a lot. Aquaphor 2-3 times a day, 3 days is what I do. Then I do lotion (Lubriderm) 2-3 times a day til its healed. Then lotion as I normally do, after every shower.

Im sure there are good artists down there, but probably not as abundant simply cause of the weather. People avoid getting large pieces in the summer time here in the NE cause its harder to heal with the heat/sweat/sun/etc. Florida weather woudnt be ideal for tattoos.
Ive been searching for awhile for someone down here, no luck with any artist with the same b/w skills i seen on here.  Might have to travel to get my back done. Heres another artist i admired. Robert Pho

I was watching ink master and a interesting point was brought up, would you get ink from someone who doesn't have tattoos ? :nerd:

I was watching ink master and a interesting point was brought up, would you get ink from someone who doesn't have tattoos ? :nerd:

Someone mentioned that on this thread or the last one. I just don't think there is such a thing. I mean if you get into this stuff, you sort of have to be a fan of your own craft. Almost a 100% of tattoo artists I see whether it be at a shop or in a mag all have tattoos to a certain degree.

And to answer that question even though I think it is a trick question.....yes I would get a tattoo from someone that doesn't have tattoos. If their portfolio is dope, I really don't see the harm.

I was having friendly debate with a fellow from the Staying Fit thread, I didnt wanna clutter that thread so I figure id take his response in here.

Originally Posted by Indeedsir  

There is no one correct way to heal a tattoo. One artist will say that you should keep it wrapped but refresh the wraps a few times a day, while the other will say to remove it right away when you get home. Some say 2-3 hours the other will say 5-8 hours..Some say use ointment for 4 days while others say 2 weeks. Every artist will tell you something else. And you will sweat anyway even when not working out while wearing it for 2-3 hours so it won't really make that much of a difference if you have a 1,5 hour workout.
Why wait 2-3 days though? The healing process takes up to a month or so. In total I have had 5 tattoo sessions and I never had any problems. 
wink.gif

Every artist will tell you something different, but IMO there are "better" ways to heal a tattoo. I have never heard any artist or heard anyone using ointment for up to two weeks, thats just excessive. Some artists will tell you that no ointment is needed and you can go straight to Lubriderm or Aveeno. I have tried that before with smaller tattoos and it turned out great. For my larger pieces I feel the Aquaphor helps heal it quicker. Theres a difference between excessive sweat, thats just not good for the pores of new tattoos, and the 2-3 day wait is primarily for infection reasons. 2-3 days is typicall when youre done using Aquaphor which means the tattoo should be healed enough to atleats not get infected by exposure atleast. Normal healing is 2 weeks but that all depends on the person.

Im not trying to say youre wrong and im right, its just from personal experience and other things I have heard. If it works for you and you have no problems, by all means go ahead. As long as its working for you, then thats all that matters.
I agree that there are better ways of healing tattoos, just not that doing something like workout is "terrible". Ofcourse getting your rest would be 'better' (like it is for every healing process), but that doesn't mean that it's bad per se. Just be careful and listen to your body. Both of my artist told me that working out is okay and my body will tell me my limits. I agree that you should to what works for you. For me working out was alright and they all healed perfectly (I stilll have one in the healing process so we will see how that turns out) 
wink.gif

im into religious, realistic, portraits, traditional, script and gangsta/hood type pieces. mostly black and grey work since color doesn't look good on me, but real recognize real. hopefully i can get some decent quality pics of what i got to put up soon. let see yalls work. in the mean time i'll share some pics ive saved over time. some might even be from previous volumes.

info on this one? what style is this? want to use this background for my next piece that I am designing for my newborn daughter :smokin

anybody know the origin of this style?

^

Thats not really a tattoo style or genre, some artists like Thomas Hooper do abstract stuff like that.

I was watching ink master and a interesting point was brought up, would you get ink from someone who doesn't have tattoos ?
nerd.gif
The lady I go to has no visible ones but I know she has them and then the other artist there is covered head to toe.

Having tattoos =/= being a skilled tattoo artist.

The lady I go to has no visible ones but I know she has them and then the other artist there is covered head to toe.

Having tattoos =/= being a skilled tattoo artist.
Its not so much skill though. Having tattoos IMO is sorta like a "right of passage". Like someone said, would you get fitness advice from someone whos overweight? Would you get car advice from someone who doesnt have a car? (>__>)

I know its totally different to use those examples, but sorta the same concept.

Back
Top Bottom