OFFICIAL - UEFA EURO 2008 TOURNAMENT

Heck of a game by Russia today despite not scoring on many opportunities they had. Great pressure on most drives kept the Swedes a little intimidated.

Great win by Spain as well (of course). This Sunday's game is going to be huge (and conflicting for me), but I see Spain winning with ease.

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

Originally Posted by Jada2001Retro

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

Originally Posted by Jada2001Retro

Red card was TERRIBLE, that was definetely not worth a red.

You realized that if you take a man down who has a clear path to the goal it's an automatic red card, don't you? If Abidal didn't foul Toni, Toni was going to break free.

Oh and Domenech said that it's Ribery's knee that is injured.
I understand he was the last defender, he went down WAY too easily for the big strong man he is. There was SOME contact but not red card worthy, I agree it was a free kick and at most a yellow, but Toni went down far too easy imo. And Toni wasn't going to get a certain goal because Coupet wasn't that far from him and after seeing his first few attempts, he looked off, to say the least. People are going to have different point of views, I think it shouldn't have been a red, others say it should have, it's over with, but I do think it was wrong to make them play a man down for that soft of contact.

Free kick? Any foul inside the box is a penalty. And it's a MANDATORY red, end of story. Like... the ref had no choice but to send him off.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional_foul

All penalties are not reds... furthermore, all fouls as last line of defense are not reds. I always understood it as, if the ref determines it was a foulwith the sole purpose of stopping a sure chance on goal = red. Even then, this rule is not always upheld, and I felt a red was harsh as hell, that was thesecond direct red this tourney right? There have been fouls and players much more deserving of reds...

P.S. I think he knows a free kick inside the box = penalty.

I know that all penalties aren't reds, but Abidal hindered Toni's path to the goal and he was the last defender. Had Toni not been fouled, he wouldhave gotten a shot off at least. And plus, don't you think if any of the players or coaches thought it shouldn't have been a red they would have saidsomething? I haven't read anything from the French side contesting the call.

I was 7/8 in my predictions for teams advancing to the 2nd round. I got a little cute by picking Switzerland over Portugal
smh.gif

I have no idea what to expect tomorrow. Portugal are favored and Germany are without their coach and with a terrible keeper but you know they'll keep itclose. I can see this game going to extra time but I predicted Germany to win the tourney so I'll have to stick with them.

I like Germany exposing Portugal tomorrow and scoring a lot of goals.
And please let Andy Gray be the color analyst.

Originally Posted by EFIL 4 REKAL

I like Germany exposing Portugal tomorrow and scoring a lot of goals.
And please let Andy Gray be the color analyst.
I don't see Germany raping Portugal, and yeah I hope Andy Gray and Tommy Smyth are the analysts.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

I was 7/8 in my predictions for teams advancing to the 2nd round. I got a little cute by picking Switzerland over Portugal
smh.gif

I have no idea what to expect tomorrow. Portugal are favored and Germany are without their coach and with a terrible keeper but you know they'll keep it close. I can see this game going to extra time but I predicted Germany to win the tourney so I'll have to stick with them.

Haha, in your face Carlos Tevez I went 8/8. And I only picked Russia cuz I'm part Russian
glasses.gif
I got Holland to win since the beginning, and it looks like they got a straight shot to the semi-finals over my Russian red tide. But you never know,soccer is a tricky mistress.

3942733629.jpg

Well around an hour till kick off, I am very excited. I want Germany to win, but Portugal has played amazing, so we will see what happens.

I am definitely looking forward to this match, insanely excited in fact.

Portugal are the favorites, and rightly so since they have looked like the stronger side. I am also concerned about the fitness of both Frings (broken rib) andPoldi (calf injury). And while it will not be THE deciding factor, having Low suspended for this match (freaking ridiculous) will certainly not help theGermans at all. But I am hopeful that our experience and discipline will help us Germans advance today. I expect both sides to play well, and think anythingcould happen really.

Hoping for a great and exciting match regardless. Good luck to both sides, but LET'S GO DEUTSCHLAND!!!

The German forwards not named Podolski need to show up. I expected more from Mario Gomez but he has been abysmal thus far to the point that his confidence isshot worse than Rajon Rondo's. Mirsolav Klose has been fairly anonymous. Did Kuranyi play any minutes in Group Stage?

Now, they face argueably the best back four in the tournament, Bosingwa - Pepe - Carvalho - Ferreira. Ferreira being the weak link.

Germany has to win the midfield, they have the qualities to do so.

Klose definitely needs to show up today. Dude has been ghost. Hopefully he didn't peak at WC'06.

xblaze: Klose has been getting into good positions and not playing poorly, but he has been playing the role of distributor with Gomez set up for the finalball. Klose is one of the best finishers out there, so if they play him in the role Gomez has been in, and have Podolski support him up top, things shouldimprove. Schweinsteiger would then take Podolski's place as an attacking winger.

Kuranyi got some minutes, but he is pretty much the 4th option in Low's plan as far as starting strikers. I think he could have a nice impact, but Gomezwas given his chance due to youth and form in the Bundesliga this past season. He has disappointed, although I am sure in the long run he will be fine. Lowalso relies more on Neuville as the super-sub late in matches. So Kuranyi just can't seem to find his place in the squad. He is so much like Klose thatit's just hard for him to get on the field.

I think it will come down to Frings and Ballack imposing their will in the mid-field and winning lots of balls. Lahm has also been a beast this tourney. Myreal concerns are Metzelder/Mertesecker as they have looked pretty lumbering back there, and Lehmann hasn't exactly looked confident back in goal
smh.gif
. ThisPortugal side can really strike quickly, and it is a serious concern.

Metz earlier.. what a bonehead
roll.gif

Klose hasnt played poor per se, hes just been disappearing for extensive parts of the games. I expect more from him.

Bastian is playing very well thus far.. goal for him. Well deserved.

Back
Top Bottom