Official USA Mens Basketball Thread *~ U.S. defeated Tuniasia 92-57 Thursday (Next up: Angola) ~*

LAS VEGAS -- Team USA coach Mike Krzyzewski calls him the only player guaranteed to make the final cut. USA Basketball director Jerry Colangelo says he will be the face of the American team throughout the summer of 2010.

Kevin Durant is having none of it. At least, so he claims.

"I doubt I'm the next face; I'm just another guy helping to bring a gold back to the U.S. It's been a dream of mine since I was a little kid," Durant said on what turned out to be a rough first day of minicamp for Team USA.

After learning late Monday night that they would be without Amare Stoudemire (uninsurable contract) and Robin Lopez (back injury rehabilitation), the Americans lost another big man Tuesday when David Lee jammed his right middle finger against the bottom of the backboard while blocking a shot. It is too soon to say how long Lee will be out, but when he looked down at his finger, it was facing sideways.

Lamar Odom is now the sole remaining team member who has represented the United States in a major international competition, having been a member of the Olympic team that lost three times in Athens in 2004 en route to a bronze-medal finish.

But that equation might have been different if the head honchos in the U.S. federation had decided to bring Durant to the Beijing Olympics in 2008. They didn't say so at the time, but Durant was in the mix when the debate over the final roster spot came down to three names: Tayshaun Prince, Tyson Chandler and Durant.
“
3202.jpg
I doubt I'm the next face; I'm just another guy helping to bring a gold back to the U.S. It's been a dream of mine since I was a little kid.
â€

LAS VEGAS -- Team USA coach Mike Krzyzewski calls him the only player guaranteed to make the final cut. USA Basketball director Jerry Colangelo says he will be the face of the American team throughout the summer of 2010.

Kevin Durant is having none of it. At least, so he claims.

"I doubt I'm the next face; I'm just another guy helping to bring a gold back to the U.S. It's been a dream of mine since I was a little kid," Durant said on what turned out to be a rough first day of minicamp for Team USA.

After learning late Monday night that they would be without Amare Stoudemire (uninsurable contract) and Robin Lopez (back injury rehabilitation), the Americans lost another big man Tuesday when David Lee jammed his right middle finger against the bottom of the backboard while blocking a shot. It is too soon to say how long Lee will be out, but when he looked down at his finger, it was facing sideways.

Lamar Odom is now the sole remaining team member who has represented the United States in a major international competition, having been a member of the Olympic team that lost three times in Athens in 2004 en route to a bronze-medal finish.

But that equation might have been different if the head honchos in the U.S. federation had decided to bring Durant to the Beijing Olympics in 2008. They didn't say so at the time, but Durant was in the mix when the debate over the final roster spot came down to three names: Tayshaun Prince, Tyson Chandler and Durant.
“
3202.jpg
I doubt I'm the next face; I'm just another guy helping to bring a gold back to the U.S. It's been a dream of mine since I was a little kid.
â€

LAS VEGAS -- LeBron James has made another decision: He is coming to town to hang out with Team USA.

James and new Miami Heat teammate Dwyane Wade were scheduled to arrive Wednesday night in Las Vegas, where Team USA is holding a minicamp in preparation for the 2010 World Championship in Turkey.

James and the rest of his teammates from the so-called Redeem Team that won the gold medal at the Beijing Olympics have all declined to play for Team USA this summer, but they remain on the national team's roster and in the mix to play for the 2012 Olympic team, and they had a standing invitation to come and pay a visit -- something that's about to happen.

"LeBron and D-Wade are coming in tonight, and Chris Paul is here. But we had invited all of our guys to stop in, both here and in New York [for training camp Aug. 9-15]," Team USA managing director Jerry Colangelo said. "That's all there is to it. We don't have any plan for them.

"[A meeting with the team] may happen and it may not, but we wanted them around, and they're here," Colangelo said. "So that's really it

LAS VEGAS – With Kobe Bryant(notes), LeBron James(notes) and the rest of the Beijing Olympic team taking the summer off, USA Basketball’s roster is wide open for next month’s world championships in Turkey. There is one prospect, however, with better odds than anyone to be wearing the red, white and blue.

â€

LAS VEGAS -- LeBron James has made another decision: He is coming to town to hang out with Team USA.

James and new Miami Heat teammate Dwyane Wade were scheduled to arrive Wednesday night in Las Vegas, where Team USA is holding a minicamp in preparation for the 2010 World Championship in Turkey.

James and the rest of his teammates from the so-called Redeem Team that won the gold medal at the Beijing Olympics have all declined to play for Team USA this summer, but they remain on the national team's roster and in the mix to play for the 2012 Olympic team, and they had a standing invitation to come and pay a visit -- something that's about to happen.

"LeBron and D-Wade are coming in tonight, and Chris Paul is here. But we had invited all of our guys to stop in, both here and in New York [for training camp Aug. 9-15]," Team USA managing director Jerry Colangelo said. "That's all there is to it. We don't have any plan for them.

"[A meeting with the team] may happen and it may not, but we wanted them around, and they're here," Colangelo said. "So that's really it

LAS VEGAS – With Kobe Bryant(notes), LeBron James(notes) and the rest of the Beijing Olympic team taking the summer off, USA Basketball’s roster is wide open for next month’s world championships in Turkey. There is one prospect, however, with better odds than anyone to be wearing the red, white and blue.

â€

LAS VEGAS -- Team USA goes public Saturday night, with an intrasquad scrimmage on ESPN2 and ESPN3 at 10 p.m. ET that will help determine who gets to continue on to training camp in New York, and who gets cut.
The team hierarchy was still saying Friday that the plan is to head into training camp with 14 or 15 players, though it left itself a ton of wiggle room. So don't be surprised if that number is as high as 16 after the cuts are made sometime next week. After four days of practices in which the roster shrunk from 22 to 19 as Amare Stoudemire, David Lee and Robin Lopez were either forced out or withdrew, here is the latest intelligence regarding who is on the bubble, who is close to being on the bubble, and who isn't.
[h3]On The Bubble[/h3]
3983.jpg

Evans​
Tyreke Evans, G
If there is one area in which Team USA has an embarrassment of riches, it is at point guard with Evans, the 2010 NBA Rookie of the Year, Derrick Rose, the 2009 ROY, along with Chauncey Billups, Rajon Rondo, Russell Westbrook and Stephen Curry. A sore ankle kept Evans sidelined for practices Thursday and Friday, which was when the coaching staff focused hardest on what went down in the scrimmages. That absence has made Evans the No. 1 cut candidate, and it'll take what amounts to an epic comeback for him to stick.
3431.jpg

Gordon​
Eric Gordon, G
There should be a place on the end of the bench in Turkey for a shooter, and Curry has impressed the staff most with his proficiency in that area. Plus, Curry is capable of moving over to shooting guard, and positional versatility is huge plus at all five spots. Gordon has drawn praise for his defense, but it'll take a lights-out shooting night to get him to New York.

3450.jpg

Mayo​
O.J. Mayo, G
As we noted Tuesday in our pre-camp preview, Mayo is somewhat superfluous on a roster loaded with backcourt players but thin in the frontcourt. (When Mayo read it, he looked up "superfluous" in the dictionary.) He has done little to distinguish himself over the four days of practice, and at 6-foot-4 he is a little too small -- and thus has a lack of positional versatility -- to shift over to the small forward spot.
[h3]Almost On The Bubble[/h3]
2760.jpg

Granger​
Danny Granger, F
He was a pure bubble guy until Friday, when he was consistently knocking down 3-pointers in scrimmages after sitting out the previous day to rest a bruised shin. He needs to outshine Andre Iguodala on Saturday to keep up the positive vibe.
Jeff Green, F
One of only three true power forwards remaining, and the shortage of big men works in his favor. But Lamar Odom provides more experience, and Kevin Love has been a better player thus far.

3452.jpg

McGee​
JaVale McGee, C
He is the lone member of the remaining 19 with an asterisk next to his name on the official roster, denoting him as merely a camp invitee and not a member of the national team. But with only three centers, it is risky to cut any of them.
Brook Lopez, C
Has been sluggish after recovering from a long bout with mononucleosis, and he is more of a scoring center than a rebounder and shot-blocker -- which is what Team USA wants most out of its big men.

Andre Iguodala, F
Makes this portion of the list only because he has the most to lose with a bad performance Saturday night, especially if Green plays well. His defensive abilities weigh heavily in his favor.

[h3]Not On The Bubble[/h3]
Kevin Durant, G/F
The face of the team, the best player on the team, the only guy who can reasonably be called a lock at this point to also make the 2012 Olympic team.

Chauncey Billups, G
The unquestioned team leader, the wise old quarterback who will be asked to replicate the role Jason Kidd played for the 2008 Redeem Team.

Tyson Chandler, C
He has clearly been the team's best center, and has looked healthy after missing most of the last two NBA seasons with injuries.

Lamar Odom, F
Coach K loves his experience (he played on the 2004 Olympic team) and his versatility. He might even end up spending more time at center than at power forward.

Kevin Love, F
He has been incredibly active at both ends of the floor, hitting the defensive glass and consistently knocking down outside shots.

Rudy Gay, F
Was a standout in minicamp a year ago, and has the combination of quickness, size and shooting ability that will be this team's collective calling card.

Russell Westbrook, G
His ability to play off the ball, which he did at UCLA, is huge. And his defensive tenacity and floor leadership have both brought rave reviews thus far.

Rajon Rondo, G
The team will likely take five guards to Turkey, six if you include Durant. His inability to make free throws, or to play shooting guard, is a concern.

Derrick Rose, G
Like Rondo, he may very well end up being a bubble guy when the team holds training camp in New York from Aug. 9 to 15.

Gerald Wallace, F
Much like the Rose-Rondo conundrum, the Wallace/Iguodala/Granger similarities will bear watching in New York. Size and defensive tenacity work in his favor.

Stephen Curry, G
There is no way Team USA will head to Turkey without a designated zone buster, a la Michael Redd in Beijing. Again, his ability to play either guard spot helps him.

Here are the rosters for Saturday’s USA Basketball Showcase, which will be televised on ESPN2 at 10 p.m. ET…

Blue: Chauncey Billups, Tyreke Evans, Rudy Gay, Jeff Green, Brook Lopez, Kevin Love, O.J. Mayo, JaVale McGee, Rajon Rondo and Russell Westbrook

White: Tyson Chandler, Stephen Curry, Kevin Durant, Eric Gordon, Danny Granger, Andre Iguodala, Lamar Odom, Derrick Rose and Gerald Wallace

LAS VEGAS -- Team USA goes public Saturday night, with an intrasquad scrimmage on ESPN2 and ESPN3 at 10 p.m. ET that will help determine who gets to continue on to training camp in New York, and who gets cut.
The team hierarchy was still saying Friday that the plan is to head into training camp with 14 or 15 players, though it left itself a ton of wiggle room. So don't be surprised if that number is as high as 16 after the cuts are made sometime next week. After four days of practices in which the roster shrunk from 22 to 19 as Amare Stoudemire, David Lee and Robin Lopez were either forced out or withdrew, here is the latest intelligence regarding who is on the bubble, who is close to being on the bubble, and who isn't.
[h3]On The Bubble[/h3]
3983.jpg

Evans​
Tyreke Evans, G
If there is one area in which Team USA has an embarrassment of riches, it is at point guard with Evans, the 2010 NBA Rookie of the Year, Derrick Rose, the 2009 ROY, along with Chauncey Billups, Rajon Rondo, Russell Westbrook and Stephen Curry. A sore ankle kept Evans sidelined for practices Thursday and Friday, which was when the coaching staff focused hardest on what went down in the scrimmages. That absence has made Evans the No. 1 cut candidate, and it'll take what amounts to an epic comeback for him to stick.
3431.jpg

Gordon​
Eric Gordon, G
There should be a place on the end of the bench in Turkey for a shooter, and Curry has impressed the staff most with his proficiency in that area. Plus, Curry is capable of moving over to shooting guard, and positional versatility is huge plus at all five spots. Gordon has drawn praise for his defense, but it'll take a lights-out shooting night to get him to New York.

3450.jpg

Mayo​
O.J. Mayo, G
As we noted Tuesday in our pre-camp preview, Mayo is somewhat superfluous on a roster loaded with backcourt players but thin in the frontcourt. (When Mayo read it, he looked up "superfluous" in the dictionary.) He has done little to distinguish himself over the four days of practice, and at 6-foot-4 he is a little too small -- and thus has a lack of positional versatility -- to shift over to the small forward spot.
[h3]Almost On The Bubble[/h3]
2760.jpg

Granger​
Danny Granger, F
He was a pure bubble guy until Friday, when he was consistently knocking down 3-pointers in scrimmages after sitting out the previous day to rest a bruised shin. He needs to outshine Andre Iguodala on Saturday to keep up the positive vibe.
Jeff Green, F
One of only three true power forwards remaining, and the shortage of big men works in his favor. But Lamar Odom provides more experience, and Kevin Love has been a better player thus far.

3452.jpg

McGee​
JaVale McGee, C
He is the lone member of the remaining 19 with an asterisk next to his name on the official roster, denoting him as merely a camp invitee and not a member of the national team. But with only three centers, it is risky to cut any of them.
Brook Lopez, C
Has been sluggish after recovering from a long bout with mononucleosis, and he is more of a scoring center than a rebounder and shot-blocker -- which is what Team USA wants most out of its big men.

Andre Iguodala, F
Makes this portion of the list only because he has the most to lose with a bad performance Saturday night, especially if Green plays well. His defensive abilities weigh heavily in his favor.

[h3]Not On The Bubble[/h3]
Kevin Durant, G/F
The face of the team, the best player on the team, the only guy who can reasonably be called a lock at this point to also make the 2012 Olympic team.

Chauncey Billups, G
The unquestioned team leader, the wise old quarterback who will be asked to replicate the role Jason Kidd played for the 2008 Redeem Team.

Tyson Chandler, C
He has clearly been the team's best center, and has looked healthy after missing most of the last two NBA seasons with injuries.

Lamar Odom, F
Coach K loves his experience (he played on the 2004 Olympic team) and his versatility. He might even end up spending more time at center than at power forward.

Kevin Love, F
He has been incredibly active at both ends of the floor, hitting the defensive glass and consistently knocking down outside shots.

Rudy Gay, F
Was a standout in minicamp a year ago, and has the combination of quickness, size and shooting ability that will be this team's collective calling card.

Russell Westbrook, G
His ability to play off the ball, which he did at UCLA, is huge. And his defensive tenacity and floor leadership have both brought rave reviews thus far.

Rajon Rondo, G
The team will likely take five guards to Turkey, six if you include Durant. His inability to make free throws, or to play shooting guard, is a concern.

Derrick Rose, G
Like Rondo, he may very well end up being a bubble guy when the team holds training camp in New York from Aug. 9 to 15.

Gerald Wallace, F
Much like the Rose-Rondo conundrum, the Wallace/Iguodala/Granger similarities will bear watching in New York. Size and defensive tenacity work in his favor.

Stephen Curry, G
There is no way Team USA will head to Turkey without a designated zone buster, a la Michael Redd in Beijing. Again, his ability to play either guard spot helps him.

Here are the rosters for Saturday’s USA Basketball Showcase, which will be televised on ESPN2 at 10 p.m. ET…

Blue: Chauncey Billups, Tyreke Evans, Rudy Gay, Jeff Green, Brook Lopez, Kevin Love, O.J. Mayo, JaVale McGee, Rajon Rondo and Russell Westbrook

White: Tyson Chandler, Stephen Curry, Kevin Durant, Eric Gordon, Danny Granger, Andre Iguodala, Lamar Odom, Derrick Rose and Gerald Wallace

I'm not sure if people remember the last Blue and White game, but it was one of the most entertaining basketball games I've ever seen. Guys went really hard fighting for those roster spots and the level of play was amazing. I'd say it's must-see TV.

I'm not sure if people remember the last Blue and White game, but it was one of the most entertaining basketball games I've ever seen. Guys went really hard fighting for those roster spots and the level of play was amazing. I'd say it's must-see TV.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Was it the game where Kobe made game winner?

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Was it the game where Kobe made game winner?

Im gonna have to DVR this game
frown.gif
hitting up some super twilight on the links
smh.gif

Im gonna have to DVR this game
frown.gif
hitting up some super twilight on the links
smh.gif

Can't wait to see this. Hopefully Rudy can showcase the same skill he did from last summer. KD/Gay as the 3/4 is goign to be
sick.gif

Back
Top Bottom