Official USA Mens Basketball Thread *~ U.S. defeated Tuniasia 92-57 Thursday (Next up: Angola) ~*

i guess nba TV has no problem with the n-word being used on live tv.
laugh.gif

I think Love would be a good fit, they don't need scoring and he's a really good rebounder and passer.

I think Love would be a good fit, they don't need scoring and he's a really good rebounder and passer.

Man...Mcgee could be the best big man in Basketball in a couple years if he develops correctly. Watching dude in Summer league...Man...Wow

Man...Mcgee could be the best big man in Basketball in a couple years if he develops correctly. Watching dude in Summer league...Man...Wow

Originally Posted by VCXV

Originally Posted by jehlers02

Wait this is the actual team? No Dwight, Kobe, Lebron, Wade, Bosh, Deron, Melo?

This is the team being sent to Turkey for play for the World Championships I believe.

The big boys will compete in the 2012 Olympics I am sure, it looks like Team USA is just taking this opportunity to give these youngsters and newcommers some international experience
and see who will complement the team for next summer. Also gives the superstars a summer to rest.

I know the winner of the world championships get an automatic bid to the Olympics next year, but do the last olympic game winners get an autobid as well?
Im asking cause obviously USA won it in 2008, it would be embarrassing to lose this summer cause I know many countries take the World Championships much more seriously than the Olympic games.
Team USA received an auto bid to Worlds based on winning the gold medal in 2008.

Only the Olympic host has an auto bid at this point (kinda like the World Cup). You get an auto bid if you win worlds (Spain was the 2006 winner). After that it's based on your FIBA regional tournament. Some regions only get one bid, like Africa and Asia (winner advances), while Europe and the Americas get two (ex: USA and Argentina in 2007). If you still don't make it, there's another tourney that takes place where a few more teams make it in. They can come from any region, but it's comprised of the best remaining teams, according to whatever FIBA's criteria is (it's usually European teams that end up making it).

The USA program seems content with focusing on the Olympics, knowing they'll have no problem qualifying for it through whatever means. Their only true competition in the Americas is Argentina. I don't think they'll win Worlds, honestly. The program isn't designed for that anymore. There are only two teams in the world right now that I think can truly beat Team USA on any given day if all teams are at full strength with Olympic rosters: Argentina and Spain.

Originally Posted by VCXV

Originally Posted by jehlers02

Wait this is the actual team? No Dwight, Kobe, Lebron, Wade, Bosh, Deron, Melo?

This is the team being sent to Turkey for play for the World Championships I believe.

The big boys will compete in the 2012 Olympics I am sure, it looks like Team USA is just taking this opportunity to give these youngsters and newcommers some international experience
and see who will complement the team for next summer. Also gives the superstars a summer to rest.

I know the winner of the world championships get an automatic bid to the Olympics next year, but do the last olympic game winners get an autobid as well?
Im asking cause obviously USA won it in 2008, it would be embarrassing to lose this summer cause I know many countries take the World Championships much more seriously than the Olympic games.
Team USA received an auto bid to Worlds based on winning the gold medal in 2008.

Only the Olympic host has an auto bid at this point (kinda like the World Cup). You get an auto bid if you win worlds (Spain was the 2006 winner). After that it's based on your FIBA regional tournament. Some regions only get one bid, like Africa and Asia (winner advances), while Europe and the Americas get two (ex: USA and Argentina in 2007). If you still don't make it, there's another tourney that takes place where a few more teams make it in. They can come from any region, but it's comprised of the best remaining teams, according to whatever FIBA's criteria is (it's usually European teams that end up making it).

The USA program seems content with focusing on the Olympics, knowing they'll have no problem qualifying for it through whatever means. Their only true competition in the Americas is Argentina. I don't think they'll win Worlds, honestly. The program isn't designed for that anymore. There are only two teams in the world right now that I think can truly beat Team USA on any given day if all teams are at full strength with Olympic rosters: Argentina and Spain.

I also believe the only way USA will win World Championships is if they bring back that 2008 squad. I believe Kobe is the most important player though, he was addition and the main reason why they won in 2008. I'm not saying it was all him but he just brought some swagger and that killer instinct to the team

I also believe the only way USA will win World Championships is if they bring back that 2008 squad. I believe Kobe is the most important player though, he was addition and the main reason why they won in 2008. I'm not saying it was all him but he just brought some swagger and that killer instinct to the team

[h1]Lee to miss world championships[/h1]
By Marc J. Spears, Yahoo! Sports
1 hour, 15 minutes ago

LAS VEGAS – Golden State Warriors forward David Lee will miss the world championships because of a finger injury, USA Basketball managing director Jerry Colangelo told Yahoo! Sports.

Lee dislocated the middle finger on his right hand during the first day of Team USA’s minicamp on Tuesday. He is not expected to need surgery, but will be sidelined from four to six weeks.

USA Basketball doesn’t expect to name a replacement to the pool of players competing for roster spots in the September tournament in Turkey.

Lee just signed a six-year, $80 million contract with the Warriors.

Team USA was already thin on big men before Lee’s injury. Amar’e Stoudemire withdrew on Tuesday because of insurance concerns with his new contract with the New York Knicks.

[h1]Lee to miss world championships[/h1]
By Marc J. Spears, Yahoo! Sports
1 hour, 15 minutes ago

LAS VEGAS – Golden State Warriors forward David Lee will miss the world championships because of a finger injury, USA Basketball managing director Jerry Colangelo told Yahoo! Sports.

Lee dislocated the middle finger on his right hand during the first day of Team USA’s minicamp on Tuesday. He is not expected to need surgery, but will be sidelined from four to six weeks.

USA Basketball doesn’t expect to name a replacement to the pool of players competing for roster spots in the September tournament in Turkey.

Lee just signed a six-year, $80 million contract with the Warriors.

Team USA was already thin on big men before Lee’s injury. Amar’e Stoudemire withdrew on Tuesday because of insurance concerns with his new contract with the New York Knicks.

[h1]Odom Says He's In 'Horrible Shape'[/h1]

Odom_Lamar_lal.jpg
Lakers forward Lamar Odom says he's in horrible shape.

"I'm in horrible shape," Odom said Tuesday after Team USA's first day of training camp.

"But I'll get in shape ... I took some time off (following the Lakers winning their second straight title). This is my first basketball activity. I boxed and some things like that. But this is the first time I ran up and down the court, and actually had a basketball in my hand."

Team USA coach Mike Krzyzewski said he "didn't see anybody huffing and puffing" Tuesday even though 10 of the team's 20 players didn't make the postseason.

Read more:http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_a...dom_says_hes_in_horrible_shape/#ixzz0uLzdz6HW
Can't believe this guy says he hasn't even touched a basketball in over a month 
grin.gif

[h1]Odom Says He's In 'Horrible Shape'[/h1]

Odom_Lamar_lal.jpg
Lakers forward Lamar Odom says he's in horrible shape.

"I'm in horrible shape," Odom said Tuesday after Team USA's first day of training camp.

"But I'll get in shape ... I took some time off (following the Lakers winning their second straight title). This is my first basketball activity. I boxed and some things like that. But this is the first time I ran up and down the court, and actually had a basketball in my hand."

Team USA coach Mike Krzyzewski said he "didn't see anybody huffing and puffing" Tuesday even though 10 of the team's 20 players didn't make the postseason.

Read more:http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_a...dom_says_hes_in_horrible_shape/#ixzz0uLzdz6HW
Can't believe this guy says he hasn't even touched a basketball in over a month 
grin.gif

^ You do know some people actually use the summer to just REST. I don't blame him for not touching a ball for a month. Even though I probably wouldn't do that if I were him (not 100% sure though) but he has to be drained. You HAVE to give your body time to heal. Don't judge him.

Back
Top Bottom