Official Warriors Off Season Thread

Originally Posted by acidicality

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Oh definitely, the thing with the bobcats starting line-up was that Gerald Wallace wasn't really healthy, so they didn't have him in the depth chart at all. He definitely wouldn't start over Jason though. I guess he wouldn't start over DJ Augustin either. (I still say the Bobcats are flat out stupid for passing on Brook Lopez, I have a feeling the kid will be a top 3 Center in NO time).
I agree about the Bobcats being dumb on passing on Brook....and Augustin was a reach there, IMO....Felton/JRich/Wallace/Okafor/Lopez could develop into a really good starting 5...but MJ isn't very good at making basketball decisions off the court.
I thought that move took balls, Felton isnt a franchise guy imo, the way that draft happened they had to reach. Felton is either going to get better orhe is going to stay the same and you wont win. Because it dont take much to make the playoffs in the east and Felton can play off the ball Felton as a 40minute guy for the first month aint a bad idea, dont get a huge hole and if it works then you trade DJ for a big if not get rid of Felton. To me this is MJsayin get a better jumper or else.

Originally Posted by Paul Is On Tilt

Originally Posted by gangsta207therevolution

Don wanted to give a few looks, but Chris has got to understand that he can Run and Gun but he needs a new coach. Personally with Wright, Davis, Ellis and few more skilled athletes trying to play games first to 130 wouldnt be bad.

Nellie's in his last year. He's not going to coach the Warriors next season. Everything I've read, everything that has been said about the Warriors has been that Nellie's in his last year and the passing of the torch will be from Nellie to Keith Smart.

The personel doesnt say that they are ever going to compete on D

Personally I think defense starts with a team mindset. Once Nellie leaves, I pray that the next coach (most likely Keith Smart) would stress team defense. We have somewhat players that can be good on defense, but it starts with the whole mindset first.

(I forgot Al Jefferson as well, but still I think Lopez will be better).
I've got the notion that Minnesota's going to get Al Jefferson to play the 4 from what I've heard on TV.

1st bolded comment: I agree. I think the Warriors can play defense if it was preached, say if Avery was the coach. Even last year with the Suns when Shaqwas traded, the Suns started to play a bit of defense. As a comparison, use the Mavericks, they weren't the BEST defensive team, but this team hasn'tchanged much over the past few years, we still have chuckers, we still have Dirk, we have the same type of PG, and our defense has really jumped up in the pastfew years.

2nd bolded comment: Okay good, makes me look better.
laugh.gif

As for Brook, you say I'm reaching with top 3 but you say he can be Duncan-lite?
wink.gif
laugh.gif

As for Felton, I think he's a decent PG, he's not your ideal choice for a starting PG, but I look at it as if hey, get some good players around meand I'll do a lot better. Good PG's are defined by just as good big men. All the good PG's in this L have good big men.

Lastly, as for the run-and-gun style, I don't think it will ever be perfected as well as the Kings and Suns did it (Suns when they had Q-Rich and JJ).The Kings were so good because virtually all of their starting 5 could pass the ball.

Don wanted to give a few looks, but Chris has got to understand that he can Run and Gun but he needs a new coach. Personally with Wright, Davis, Ellis and few more skilled athletes trying to play games first to 130 wouldnt be bad.

Nellie's in his last year. He's not going to coach the Warriors next season. Everything I've read, everything that has been said about the Warriors has been that Nellie's in his last year and the passing of the torch will be from Nellie to Keith Smart.

Personally I think defense starts with a team mindset. Once Nellie leaves, I pray that the next coach (most likely Keith Smart) would stress team defense. We have somewhat players that can be good on defense, but it starts with the whole mindset first.

I've got the notion that Minnesota's going to get Al Jefferson to play the 4 from what I've heard on TV.
I think that although there will be an attitude change. PAT O'bryant, Wright are imo damaged and Pat wont get the time of day. ( second contract)Japan Air you done lost your mind with this Lopez love aint no way in hell a team gives him the touches. imo he wont be even decent til his 3rd year and Bronwill be there then.

1st bolded comment: I agree. I think the Warriors can play defense if it was preached, say if Avery was the coach. Even last year with the Suns when Shaq was traded, the Suns started to play a bit of defense. As a comparison, use the Mavericks, they weren't the BEST defensive team, but this team hasn't changed much over the past few years, we still have chuckers, we still have Dirk, we have the same type of PG, and our defense has really jumped up in the past few years.

2nd bolded comment: Okay good, makes me look better.
laugh.gif

As for Brook, you say I'm reaching with top 3 but you say he can be Duncan-lite?
wink.gif
laugh.gif

As for Felton, I think he's a decent PG, he's not your ideal choice for a starting PG, but I look at it as if hey, get some good players around me and I'll do a lot better. Good PG's are defined by just as good big men. All the good PG's in this L have good big men.

Lastly, as for the run-and-gun style, I don't think it will ever be perfected as well as the Kings and Suns did it (Suns when they had Q-Rich and JJ). The Kings were so good because virtually all of their starting 5 could pass the ball.
That Mavs attitude changed when Nash left and the Mavs decided to draft a combo guard. But you dont have the athletes to play great D. You can get guyswith those skills but Gm's dont want to.

Why not? There's not huge volume scorers on the Nets right now. VC is the only one. Harris CAN put up 20-25 on a given night, but not every night. Krstic,Yi, and Simmons haven't scored that much in their careers (Yi never really had the opportunity). I can't see CDR getting more looks than Lopez. Theyneed their points from somewhere.

laugh.gif
i said "best possible scenario"
laugh.gif
you said he would be a top 3 center
tongue.gif

Okay now that i'm thinking about it a little bit more, not Duncan-lite. But either way he's a beast inside and in college it was like, if he had theball within 3-4 feet of the hoop it was an automatic 2 points. i know, it seems like u could say that for a lot of low-post players.. that's what it waslike when stanford played their "A" game.

Regarding POB, I really hope he gets an opportunity elsewhere. He DID show flashes that he could play, but he was never given the chance. There was a Clippergame in november where he really made a big difference.

And about our D, Baron, Jackson, Andris are all solid on defense...but Baron just doesn't D up sometimes out of laziness. Monta...
laugh.gif

I definitely believe under a different philosophy defense would be played more. Our philosophy is all based on gambling and looking for opportunities to runinstead of solid defense and really stopping teams. Well, in other words, our defense doesn't win championships
frown.gif
...or Nellie doesn't win championships.

I feel the same about POB, he's published as a bum, but Nellie never gave him a fair chance. He's an unorthodox big-man reserve now a days, teams lovethe Millsaps/Maxiell, not the taller/slender backups.

POB will bring back the "sky hook"
pimp.gif
. Dude can't be labeled a "bum" yet because he has yet been given minutes to prove if he canball or not.

And about our D, Baron, Jackson, Andris are all solid on defense...but Baron just doesn't D up sometimes out of laziness. Monta...
laugh.gif

I definitely believe under a different philosophy defense would be played more. Our philosophy is all based on gambling and looking for opportunities to run instead of solid defense and really stopping teams.
Agree.

Why not? There's not huge volume scorers on the Nets right now. VC is the only one. Harris CAN put up 20-25 on a given night, but not every night. Krstic, Yi, and Simmons haven't scored that much in their careers (Yi never really had the opportunity). I can't see CDR getting more looks than Lopez. They need their points from somewhere.
You just made me understand how dumb the nets draft actually was............ Harris is an athlete and he needs to run to be great, he was good with BoRyan when he ran or played off the ball. Then you draft Lopez a guy who isnt gone run at all a team full of athletes sans Marcus Williams and you draft a stiff(imo) on POB can you admit that his mind is damaged from not playing?

He was labeled as a bum yesterday in the draft,
laugh.gif

That Mavs attitude changed when Nash left and the Mavs decided to draft a combo guard. But you dont have the athletes to play great D. You can get guys with those skills but Gm's dont want to.

No, it didn't. It changed when Nellie left, and let Avery take over, and not until the second year he was a coach. JET was the PG before Devin Harris was,and JET is NOT a good defender.

You just made me understand how dumb the nets draft actually was............ Harris is an athlete and he needs to run to be great, he was good with Bo Ryan when he ran or played off the ball. Then you draft Lopez a guy who isnt gone run at all a team full of athletes sans Marcus Williams and you draft a stiff (imo) on POB can you admit that his mind is damaged from not playing?

I'm quite confused. Do you think Lopez won't be good? Or just don't think he can run? Just because a guy has to go down in the paint doesn'tmean that he can't run. I think he has that mean-streak that a lot of players lack, and the mental toughness (say what you will about him crying, itwasn't like Morrison being a cry baby). Harris doesn't need to run. He can run, but he doesn't need to. The Mavericks didn't run last year, andhis half-year with us was probably his best. The Nets did good with what they had. You don't pass on Brook Lopez when you have the 10th pick, he wasthought to go as early as 3, and was almost certainly going to go top 5. CDR @ 10th in the second-round isn't bad either. What was so bad about theirdraft?

on POB can you admit that his mind is damaged from not playing?

I wouldn't necessarily say that... a change of either coach or scenery would fix that...

laugh.gif
i heard that....I don't remember who but it was something like "you never know who you'll get....you may get a stud like _____ or you couldget a bust like Patrick O'Bryant"
smh.gif
I was like "wth are you talking about". generally the warriors get no love from the national mediathough. they were talking about us having free agents to sign and they didn't even mention Andris was a free agent, but brought up Pietrus/Barnes, etc. Itshows they're just looking at our roster and they obviously don't follow our team.

He was labeled as a bum yesterday in the draft,
laugh.gif

That Mavs attitude changed when Nash left and the Mavs decided to draft a combo guard. But you dont have the athletes to play great D. You can get guys with those skills but Gm's dont want to.

No, it didn't. It changed when Nellie left, and let Avery take over, and not until the second year he was a coach. JET was the PG before Devin Harris was, and JET is NOT a good defender.

You just made me understand how dumb the nets draft actually was............ Harris is an athlete and he needs to run to be great, he was good with Bo Ryan when he ran or played off the ball. Then you draft Lopez a guy who isnt gone run at all a team full of athletes sans Marcus Williams and you draft a stiff (imo) on POB can you admit that his mind is damaged from not playing?

I'm quite confused. Do you think Lopez won't be good? Or just don't think he can run? Just because a guy has to go down in the paint doesn't mean that he can't run. I think he has that mean-streak that a lot of players lack, and the mental toughness (say what you will about him crying, it wasn't like Morrison being a cry baby). Harris doesn't need to run. He can run, but he doesn't need to. The Mavericks didn't run last year, and his half-year with us was probably his best. The Nets did good with what they had. You don't pass on Brook Lopez when you have the 10th pick, he was thought to go as early as 3, and was almost certainly going to go top 5. CDR @ 10th in the second-round isn't bad either. What was so bad about their draft?

I dont like him, he wasnt a top 10 pick imo end of the lotto-20 type guy who's best will be a guy who can get a double double. CDR at 20 aint a badpick much less 40, but too often a team will bring in a retread instead of losing 5 more games and growing 3 times more. I dont think they will use him muchlike when they drafted Antoine Wright and didnt use him. Harris will be more like the prototype pg in Jersey imo. The Mavs run a ton of Iso's for Howardand Dirk and that makes assist numbers lower.

Harris isn't a prototypical PG, I'll tell you that right now. He's a score-first PG. He's a good score-first PG. He's not the kinda PGyou'll see getting 10 a night. At most, I see him getting around 20-6 or 7 a night in his prime, but his value goes beyond stats. Howard settled for a lotmore jumpshots after Harris left, for whatever reason. After Kidd got there, Josh ran a hell of a lot more ISO's than when Harris was there, or at leastthat's what it seemed like. Howard and Kidd did not mesh well at all, at least thus far, but I'm not going to turn this into a Mavs Offseason threadanymore.
laugh.gif

Are you sure you're not confusing Brook with Robin? You're the first person I've seen who doesn't think Brook Lopez will be good.

i think a lot of people don't like the Lopez twins. many people think both brook and robin will be busts..if u look at that "Who's going to be abust" thread here I noticed many people mentioned them.

Personally I think it's cuz people are kinda thinking of the Collins twins. and the fact they seem like "stiffs". but who cares, they'rewrong.
glasses.gif

What kind of coach do you guys think that Keith Smart will be? Will he keep the Nellie style offense? Will he be the complete opposite of Nellie (like howAvery and Popovich turned out to be)? Somewhere in between? We all know that Nellie ball hasn't won yet and may never will... I'm just curious to seewhat others think.

Personally, I think Smart will still keep the Nellie style of offense. I am hoping though on defense, he'll concentrate more on defense. I know that wewon't run if we don't take gambles so ehh... I hope he finds a way somehow to incorporate maybe a little of both
embarassed.gif

By the way, is this even a legit question? I know it's late night right now as I'm typing this and maybe my brain isn't working at it's best
laugh.gif
. Is there a way we can even come up with a real answer or just taking guesses because Nellie is at the controls and Smart hasn't done anything yet
laugh.gif
?

*edit*
Yeah as you can tell, I'm already anticipating for life after Nellie...

[table][tr][td]Golden State Warriors Grade: A[/td] [/tr][/table]
Round 1: Anthony Randolph (14)

Round 2: Richard Hendrix (49)

Analysis: Randolph has as much upside as anyone in the draft not named Beasley or Rose. But as with the huge upside guy they took last year, Brandan Wright, it might take Randolph a while to realize it.
I'm assuming down the road they'll play Wright at the 4 and hope Randolph develops into a 3. Along with Monta Ellis and Andris Biedrins, Wright and Randolph could form a nice young core for the time when Baron Davis, Al Harrington and Stephen Jackson move on.
As for Hendrix, he can be a solid role player -- a good get at No. 49.
according to chad ford, we got an A!
pimp.gif

Chad Ford's Analysis: Hendrix really slipped for a guy who was so productive in the SEC. He's got huge hands, an NBA body and somerebounding skills. He's a bit undersized, but he has enough talent to make the league. At this point, another solid pick.

Draft Projection: Late first to early second

Positives:[table][tr][td][/td] [td]
nba_g_hendrix_200.jpg
[/td] [/tr][tr][td][size=-2]Hendrix hopes his success can translate to the NBA.
(Photo by Mitchell Layton/Getty Images)

[/size]
[/td] [/tr][/table]A man child. NBA body and huge catcher's mitts for hands. Physical
player who works hard on the boards. Long arms allow him to play taller than he is. Good athlete. Developing a nice midrange game.

Negatives: Lacks great foot speed. Undersized for his college position for center.

Summary: Hendrix had an excellent junior season at Alabama, but NBA scouts have been skeptical in the past. They think Hendrix succeedsbecause of his strength. Once he gets to the NBA, he'll look much more average. Still, given the numbers he's put up at Alabama, you have to give him alook.

Nah Japan air I just dont think he will get the touches ever. Plus he has a stars mentality the Nets had to get a guy with his scoring ability but if he isntscoring he will become disintrested and wont do anything. Robin has most of the same skills with more comittment to D.

if we had a better owner, even like larry ellison or somethin, we would have bought some draft picks. we could have bought darrell arthur
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Andrew630

what if mark cuban owned our team :drools

hahah as much as i dislike him, he wants his team to win. something that mr IRS callback lacks.

if we had a better owner, even like larry ellison or somethin, we would have bought some draft picks. we could have bought darrell arthur
frown.gif
or at least CDR

Nah Japan air I just dont think he will get the touches ever. Plus he has a stars mentality the Nets had to get a guy with his scoring ability but if he isnt scoring he will become disintrested and wont do anything. Robin has most of the same skills with more comittment to D.
i seriously considered brook a top5 pick. did you ever even watch cardinal basketball? 'cause Robin has very very few and limited offensiveskills, in my honest opinion.

[h1]Team-by-team draft grades[/h1]
By DraftExpress.com 9 hours, 11 minutes ago

GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS

Picks: Anthony Randolph (No. 14); Richard Hendrix (No. 49).

Grade: C-

Anthony Randolph definitely had the potential to warrant being picked at this spot, but the jury is out on whether it makes any kind of sense to take him considering the style of offense Golden State likes to employ. Randolph's inability to make shots from the perimeter, along with his often-selfish play and lackadaisical attitude on defense and the boards, is exactly the opposite of what Golden State needs, which makes it difficult to imagine him being overly successful early on under coach Don Nelson. Considering Randolph's overall profile, that could spell trouble down the road for him. In fact, we said many of the same things about Brandan Wright (a player Randolph somewhat resembles) exactly a year ago, but were a bit higher on his ability to score inside. We will see what direction Golden State heads over the next few years and whether they'll find a coach that can make use of the players their GM is drafting. Right now, the two definitely don't seem to be on the same page.

At 49, the Warriors did extremely well for themselves, drafting one of the players we pegged as one of the steals of this draft: Richard Hendrix. Hendrix fell quite a bit on draft night because of a knee problem that was discovered during the Orlando pre-draft camp. Thus, the parallels with Carlos Boozer continue, as he not only put up very similar numbers in college, but also was red-flagged for the exact same reason (according to one NBA team we talked to, at least). We see Hendrix as more of a Paul Millsap type in the NBA, and this is exactly what Golden State needs considering the type of players they currently have on their roster.

Back
Top Bottom