Official Warriors Off Season Thread

Originally Posted by Paul Is On Tilt

I hope Mullin knows what he's doing
ohwell.gif

i'm hoping it's a Baron for Brand S+T....or maybe we have a deal for him in place....if we do i hope we didn't break the bank. i'd love tokeep him, but not at an absurd amount...
Baron hasn't even said a word....I don't know where him being unhappy comes from..he seems like he wants todo well for this franchise..but you never know.

Originally Posted by acidicality

ohwell.gif

i'm hoping it's a Baron for Brand S+T....or maybe we have a deal for him in place....if we do i hope we didn't break the bank. i'd love to keep him, but not at an absurd amount...
Baron hasn't even said a word....I don't know where him being unhappy comes from..he seems like he wants to do well for this franchise..but you never know.

Baron's not unhappy with the bay... he's unhappy with Warriors management for not giving him that longterm deal. I doubt that we can get a S&Tfor Brand because Brand is expected to take a paycut. That would give the Clips more money to sign potential free agents (i.e. Baron
frown.gif
embarassed.gif
). Plus Baron'sfrom LA. It's too good to be true
smh.gif

This day will go down in Warriors' history. TE
smh.gif
. Baron
smh.gif

Anybody think Baron will actually negotiate a deal to stay here, or is this his "@#*! you" to the Warriors?

Originally Posted by acidicality

ohwell.gif

i'm hoping it's a Baron for Brand S+T....or maybe we have a deal for him in place....if we do i hope we didn't break the bank. i'd love to keep him, but not at an absurd amount...
Baron hasn't even said a word....I don't know where him being unhappy comes from..he seems like he wants to do well for this franchise..but you never know.

Baron's not unhappy with the bay... he's unhappy with Warriors management for not giving him that longterm deal. I doubt that we can get a S&T for Brand because Brand is expected to take a paycut. That would give the Clips more money to sign potential free agents (i.e. Baron
frown.gif
embarassed.gif
).

true...i'm still hoping that's his agent doing all the talking...and not really from him.

realistically, if he's looking for gilbert money i say we should just move on without him...maybe Mullin has a real bad deal on the table.
frown.gif
(and of course, bad meaning expensive)

If I'm Baron i'd be very MAD at the Warriors front office.

For all he's done the past 2years he gets no assurance from the F/O that he's part of their plans or future. What more can he do and what reason doeshe have for sticking around? He's taken the Warriors to the playoffs and played a full season. There's no guarantee that the Warriors are going to wina championship anytime soon and I know Paul Pierce winning a 'chip has Baron envious. I wouldn't be surprised if he signed for less for a shot at aring.

If Baron really was unhappy here then *+@* him and let him walk. This dude can't play for any other coach than Nellie. Not many coaches will let him throwup some of the shots he throws up here. I just have a felling that once he gets paid, he will go back to his old-self and be "injured" a lot. If hetakes less money to sign with the Lakers, I may have to burn my Baron jersey.
smh.gif

[h2]Baron Davis opts-out: A shocker and a humongous risk, unless he has an under-the-table deal[/h2]
Posted by Tim Kawakami on June 30th, 2008 at 7:33 pm | Categorized as NBA, Warriors

You don't shock most NBA types easily. Seen it all. Figure the biggest players are the ones most capable of the biggest surprises.

But I just did a quick survey of a few people around the league and they are stunned, just stunned, that Baron Davis chose to reverse course and opt-out of the last year and $17.8-million contract.

It was done quietly, too, which surprises me almost as much. I never imagined Davis would opt-out (I am on LOUD RECORD on that one, so Baron can laugh at me forever-unless he screwed this up royally, we'll see), but I also figured that if he did, he'd do it with horns blaring.

Nope. The paperwork apparently got over to the Warriors without fanfare today after 4 p.m. Nobody there expected it or had any pre-warning, especially since Baron's agent said last week that he almost certainly wouldn't be opting out.

Then the news broke when the NBA released a list of free agents, with Baron's name on it. Ding-ding-ding!

Here's what I know after a couple quick conversations:

* The Warriors are NOT immediately under the cap because of this. They're still on the books for Baron's salary-cap hold which is 200% 150% of last season's salary. That'd be about $24.7 million.

In order to be released from Baron's cap hold they'd either have to renounce his rights (doubtful) or re-sign him at some lower rate (possible, I guess) for a long-term deal.

* There is only one team that has enough cap room right now to sign Baron to any kind of significant free agent deal-Memphis. And the Grizzlies just drafted O.J. Mayo and drafted Mike Conley last year and have several other good point guards already on the roster.

The Clippers can get way under, but only if they renounce Elton Brand (who also surprisingly opted out) and Corey Maggette (possible) or if both sign with other teams.

I doubt the Clippers would renounce Brand-since they can sign-and-trade him for something good.

Philadelphia can get under, but only if it renounces or loses restricted free agent Andre Igoudala.

Atlanta can get under, but only if it renounces or loses RFAs Josh Smith and/or Josh Childress.

* I think Baron's agent, Todd Ramasar, believes he can get a sign-and-trade deal that nets Baron better long-term money or believes he can get the Warriors to give Baron a long-term deal outright that they would not give him before he was an unrestricted free agent.

I don't know about that from the Warriors' point of view. But again, you never know.

* The Warriors don't have a point guard under contract. This is going to be chaos for a few weeks here.

I don't think Baron minds that. Does he have an under-the-table deal already negotiated? You'd think he'd have to have some idea that the money is out there, but it's hard to see where it'd come from, if the Warriors don't want to play ball in a sign-and-trade.

It's a huge risk. I give Baron credit for taking it. He's been unhappy with the Warriors for a while now… he's letting his value do the talking… Let's see what he finds out.

Well, let's see what Baron can get out there if he wants to put us in this situation.
smh.gif

Originally Posted by bbllplaya23

If Baron really was unhappy here then *+@* him and let him walk. This dude can't play for any other coach than Nellie. Not many coaches will let him throw up some of the shots he throws up here. I just have a felling that once he gets paid, he will go back to his old-self and be "injured" a lot. If he takes less money to sign with the Lakers, I may have to burn my Baron jersey.
smh.gif

That's what I think so too. He'll go back to being injured and with his shot selection, it'll drive his future coach crazy.

iunno about bringing in brand. as much as i love his game and presence on court-- we already have a flux at the 4 position. perhaps randolph + baron + al in ablockbuster sign and trade?

i haven't been this upset since i heard Gilbert left for the cash. It stinks that Baron told everyone he wasn't going to opt out and then pulls a fastone. I don't think it would be smart to give him more than 4 years 44 mil. If he leaves I will be very disappointed but hopefully Mullin can make a move tobring brand or J. Smith in.

Originally Posted by offbad

iunno about bringing in brand. as much as i love his game and presence on court-- we already have a flux at the 4 position. perhaps randolph + baron + al in a blockbuster sign and trade?

Hell nah, we can get better talent for that.

there has to be something in place for baron to opt out...teams like Miami, Detroit might not be out of the picture...

Originally Posted by offbad

iunno about bringing in brand. as much as i love his game and presence on court-- we already have a flux at the 4 position. perhaps randolph + baron + al in a blockbuster sign and trade?

Hell nah, we can get better talent for that.

you're right. what was i thinking.. al for brand + 3 unbricked 1st rounders

He's probably has a deal under way... What if the Lakers give him a one year deal worth 7-10 mill...I say lakers because I feel like he may go to a LAteam. =( This really sucks right now....Baron opts out...and it's 9 PM!!! No news on the trade exception!!!!!! Come back Baron. Please? Or...Come backGilbert.

Back
Top Bottom