:::[Official]World Cup South Africa 2010 Thread:::

Originally Posted by newmoanyuh

"any contact, Ronaldo is going down....any contact...even a puff of wind"
roll.gif

laugh.gif
I was cracking up, announcers telling it like it is.

man that strike by ronaldo is the first half that went off the bar was sick. hate his diving and diva-ness...but damn

drogba going in was nuts...they smelled blood in the water, had to take a shot i guess

I'd like to see North Korea just upset and shock the world but I don't want to see North Korea win.

I heard North Korea's gameplan for the entire tournament is to play ULTRA defense and play for a draw  every game
laugh.gif

I bet their formation is gonna be 6-3-1
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by PlatinumFunk

i want to see ivory coast make the quarterfinals... or even the semis. they look pretty good.
Gonna be really tough for Portugal or Ivory Coast to make it past the Round of 16. If they finish behind Brazil in the group, they'll most likely have to play Spain in the second round. If they want to avoid Spain, they'll likely need to beat Brazil in the group. Nothing either team did today suggested that they could beat Spain or Brazil.

I'm torn because as evil as Kim Jong Il is, the North Koreans are still my brothers
frown.gif
Too many families separated by the DMZ.

Originally Posted by JD214

Damn I thought this would be an easy game for Portugal. Why the crowd going crazy for this dude?

Probably one of the stupider comments in this thread so far.  Especially coming from someone who acted like they know alot about soccer when talking about the Mexican national team.  And D. Drogba is one of the best players in the world dude, up there with Messi.
Portugal didn't look that great at all, they barely had control of the ball the whole game.  Ivory Coast looked good but just lacked a few finishing touches to put it in goal.  Drogba let that ball get away from him a bit, if not that surely would have been a goal.

Bad game for Portugal, hope they do better. As for Ronaldo, he is not the only one who flops. It is an ugly part of the game, but the person(s) to blame is the ref's when someone flops and gets the call.

Some of you guys act like Ronaldo is the only one who acts like he got shoot when he flops, SMFH at some of your comments. Haters gonna hate.

Today's performance from Portugal was actually pretty much as expected given what they've become. They focus on defense, and try to take advantage of Ronaldo's individual brilliance on offense. It's a formula that hasn't worked too well in recent years, and today was another example of their inability to separate themselves from other decent teams.

As for the Ivorians, today's game must be a great result for them given Drogba's injury. Now they must focus on keeping the Brazil game close, and then piling up on North Korea. The fact that they're more offensively minded that the Portuguese will work in their favor, since second place in this group will most likely come down to goal differential. But the problem is that Portugal is much better equipped to push back Brazil's offense and limit the number of goals they concede to Brazil, if any. Sven, on the other hand, will be in a difficult position against Brazil: should he make his team do what it doesn't do well and focus on defense, or should he try to attack and risk opening up his team for the counter-attacks that Brazil will be waiting to launch? Seems like a pick your poison scenario. Portugal might have the edge, overall.

Just spent a whole hour defending Cristiano Ronaldo with a group of friends who make ridiculous statements driven by hate for the player. He's still my favorite player in the world regardless of the diving or whining for calls. Yes he's a bit extreme when comparing to others, but all football players dive/attempt to draw fouls one time or another. Ronaldo is still the best free kick taker in the world and slightly behind if not even with Lionel Messi at this point. Settle this debate for me, better dribbler: Ronaldo or Messi?

Couple thoughts from the game:
Kalou needs to step it up IMO naturally expect more on the biggest international stage.

As one of the best finishers in the world you have to assume Drogba would have finished stronger without the arm injury looming in the back of his mind.

Kolo Toure had a solid game anchoring the Ivory Coast defense.

I'm calling Brazil 2-0 despite North Korea's clear decision to turtle whole game. Fully expect two of the three (Fabiano, Robinho, Alves) to score today.

Originally Posted by ChampCruThik

Settle this debate for me, better dribbler: Ronaldo or Messi?
Not really a debate at this point: it's Messi.

Ronaldo may have a claim to being better with long range shots and free-kicks, but Messi's dribbling is unmatched. There's no fanciness to it, he's just able to run faster with the ball than anyone else, while somehow keeping the ball glued to his feet. Ronaldo might bust out some nice moves, like the one he pulled out to create the shot that hit the post today, but his dribbling isn't nearly the weapon that Messi's is.

anyone feel like theres something actually wrong with the ball?
it seems to me that the reason for these low scoring games are that these players aren't accustomed to playing with eachother yet in the flow of their offense so it's a heavily defensive style of play...and also, i've never seen so many free kicks sail high. I've yet to see shots on target or even close to on target including ronaldo and messi...teams are floating balls in their hoping for header goals or a funny bounce hence the lack of highlight reel goals were used to seeing...
embarassed.gif

replace that ball...
mad.gif

North Korea's formation...

koreaform.jpg

I think it'll be a hard fought match by the North Koreans but Brazil should win comfortably 3-0.

The Ivorians looked very organized and disciplined today under Sven. In my 5 years of watching them I've never seen them defend so well as a team. Usually they'll have 7 guys forward and leave their defence exposed. If this match was played in 2006 then Portugal would've scored 2-3 goals on the Ivory Coast. As Persiafly said, they need to keep the score close against Brazil and then try and destroy North Korea. My biggest fear (as an Ivory Coast fan) is that Brazil go into their final match with 6 pts, Portugal with 4 pts and both teams playing for a draw rendering CIV's match against North Korea meaningless. I really hope that Brazil go for the kill against Portugal.

I dont think it's a given that Portugal or CIV will beat what will be a very defensive North Korean team. Portugal have illustrated their inability to score goals for several years now and the Ivorian attack will not be very strong as long as Drogba is still dealing with his broken arm. I also dont think it's a given that Brazil will beat what will surely be a defensive and counter-attacking Ivorian team on Sunday. I think the only guarantee in this group is that Brazil beat North Korea and that Brazil will advance.

Originally Posted by Derek916

I'd like to see North Korea just upset and shock the world but I don't want to see North Korea win.

I heard North Korea's gameplan for the entire tournament is to play ULTRA defense and play for a draw  every game
laugh.gif

I bet their formation is gonna be 6-3-1
laugh.gif
Make it an 8-1-1, hopefully they can hold it to a draw although I highly doubt it.

Everybody is saying just see how many points they can get on NK...
If they win....
eek.gif

It'd definitely would liven up everything since this cup has been pretty boring so far.

Pele...
pimp.gif

Rambo de Leon is out of the World Cup for Honduras after an injury late in practice a day ago. Jerry Palacios has been called up to take his play.

That is now 2 big players out for Honduras (Other being Carlos Costly) and David Suazo, while not out of the WC, is expected to miss the debut.

Back
Top Bottom