OG Sneakerheads vs Noobs

Why would you spend the same, if not more for used shoes that are over 12 years old that have been on multiple people's feet when you can use that money on brand new pairs...
Cause for a true collector or aficionado year does matter ....

If they make the same exact model vehicle - baseball card - gun - etc  as a vintage one - true collectors will want the original or closes to, not the brand new one ...

Another shoe thread...

At the end of the day, it's sneakers we're talking about...items we put on our feet to walk through dirt and step on pee in public bathrooms.

There's no need to label yourself an "OG sneakerhead" as there is no incentive to being one. A "noob" can watch documentaries like Just For Kicks, read books like Driven from Within, and watch basketball reruns on NBA TV and have just as much, if not more knowledge on the sneaker culture and players like Jordan than the "OG head."
Nowadays, if the shoe coming out is nice, then buy them, regardless if the colorway is original or not. If the shoe is ugly, then move on to the next one instead of bashing people who actually like them.
I probably know more about the game of basketball and kicks than many of these self-proclaimed OG heads who have "been in the game since 1985," but I'm not gonna go around gloating that and wearing any of these "I'm a sneakerhead" shirts.

Regarding Nike and Jordan Brand quality. I think it's actually exaggerated quite a bit. Sure there's a diminish in quality and craftsmanship on the shoes pre-2005 and post it, but it's not enough to discourage me from buying them. I've had many shoes from the '90s and early '00s but sold them due to their age and Nike/JB retroing them. I'd rather have a fresh new pair that's not gonna crumble on me within ten wears. I'd rather have the icy clear soles compared to nasty yellowed soles. It's funny when young people try to stunt in original pairs that are all cracked up or the soles are all yellow and nasty bashing others for wearing recent GR releases. Why would you spend the same, if not more for used shoes that are over 12 years old that have been on multiple people's feet when you can use that money on brand new pairs...

Yeah..you're right about them being just shoes but to others it may have a bit more sentimental value. I COLLECT cars(and money..lol) and no one can measure my love for a hobby or reduce it with their indifference to some of the things i feel are important about MY hobby. Remember this is NIKETALK. I dont consider myself OG anything but there is plenty incentive to having the knowledge to help others. I was in the RSVP line at NTDC and a younger kid..like 9 was in line with his grandma. He was more pleasant that 80 percent of the dudes i run into regularly..ending up helping him get what he needed.... i agree on the quality thing 2..its a little ocd

Last edited:
@Keko Jones... I understand in a collector's viewpoint to keep on display forever, but I'm saying to wear. If you are the original owner of the shoe, then that's fine. If you're not, why buy and wear used shoes that have been on many different people's feet when you can have fresh new pairs

Last edited:
Another shoe thread...

At the end of the day, it's sneakers we're talking about...items we put on our feet to walk through dirt and step on pee in public bathrooms.

There's no need to label yourself an "OG sneakerhead" as there is no incentive to being one. A "noob" can watch documentaries like Just For Kicks, read books like Driven from Within, and watch basketball reruns on NBA TV and have just as much, if not more knowledge on the sneaker culture and players like Jordan than the "OG head."
Nowadays, if the shoe coming out is nice, then buy them, regardless if the colorway is original or not. If the shoe is ugly, then move on to the next one instead of bashing people who actually like them.
I probably know more about the game of basketball and kicks than many of these self-proclaimed OG heads who have "been in the game since 1985," but I'm not gonna go around gloating that and wearing any of these "I'm a sneakerhead" shirts.

Regarding Nike and Jordan Brand quality. I think it's actually exaggerated quite a bit. Sure there's a diminish in quality and craftsmanship on the shoes pre-2005 and post it, but it's not enough to discourage me from buying them. I've had many shoes from the '90s and early '00s but sold them due to their age and Nike/JB retroing them. I'd rather have a fresh new pair that's not gonna crumble on me within ten wears. I'd rather have the icy clear soles compared to nasty yellowed soles. It's funny when young people try to stunt in original pairs that are all cracked up or the soles are all yellow and nasty bashing others for wearing recent GR releases. Why would you spend the same, if not more for used shoes that are over 12 years old that have been on multiple people's feet when you can use that money on brand new pairs...

...So, you really think the recent XIs deserve to bear their names? ...You think having an icy sole is worth a botched shape, horrible plastic materials, etc.

That's your decision to make. But, understand that there's going to be a vocal (now) minority who disagree.

Nike could not have gotten away with releasing these versions of the Retros 15 years ago - because the only people who cared to even buy them were discerning aficionados who held the brand and shoes to the same high standard they created for themselves the first time around.

If you hear a terrible song with a catchy melody once, you'll say, "this sucks." But, if you are subjected to it over and over, you'll eventually starting humming it and finding yourself kind of liking it. It's a coping mechanism.

Through savvy marketing, Nike has been able to expand the pool of customers to a much less discerning crowd.

If it gets to the point that I can't wear my OGs or retros that pass muster, then I'll just wear something else before I succumb and just take an inferior product.

I have hundreds of Dunks and AF1s, not to mention plenty of 1985 AJ1s - those joints are indestructible. I already have more shoes than I'll ever wear. So, no need to accept anything less. If all 95/96 and 2001 XIs just disappeared off the face of the earth, I'd just cease wearing XIs. It's not that serious.

...So, you really think the recent XIs deserve to bear their names? ...You think having an icy sole is worth a botched shape, horrible plastic materials, etc.

That's your decision to make. But, understand that there's going to be a vocal (now) minority who disagree.

Nike could not have gotten away with releasing these versions of the Retros 15 years ago - because the only people who cared to even buy them were discerning aficionados who held the brand and shoes to the same high standard they created for themselves the first time around.

If you hear a terrible song with a catchy melody once, you'll say, "this sucks." But, if you are subjected to it over and over, you'll eventually starting humming it and finding yourself kind of liking it. It's a coping mechanism.

Through savvy marketing, Nike has been able to expand the pool of customers to a much less discerning crowd.

If it gets to the point that I can't wear my OGs or retros that pass muster, then I'll just wear something else before I succumb and just take an inferior product.

I have hundreds of Dunks and AF1s, not to mention plenty of 1985 AJ1s - those joints are indestructible. I already have more shoes than I'll ever wear. So, no need to accept anything less. If all 95/96 and 2001 XIs just disappeared off the face of the earth, I'd just cease wearing XIs. It's not that serious.
Bruh - you don't know what you are talking about  ..

SMH!

and we have a winner

/thread.

@BIP Roberts...Sometimes people have to adapt to the times. Leather is not gonna be buttery, patent leather cut is not gonna be precise, craftmanship/quality is not as good, but hey, you gotta take what is given to you. I'm not willing to spend twice maybe three times more to a third party for the aforementioned details. I've purchased the past five Christmas Jordan 11 retros because I feel they look nice enough for me to spend the retail price on them despite the lack of the exact look and detail from the original pair. In the end, we're all different and have differing opinions. Some may care more about the changes and despise what Jordan Brand has done/become due to nostalgia purposes. Others may find the details to be minute.

@BIP Roberts...Sometimes people have to adapt to the times. Leather is not gonna be buttery, patent leather cut is not gonna be precise, craftmanship/quality is not as good, but hey, you gotta take what is given to you. I'm not willing to spend twice maybe three times more to a third party for the aforementioned details. I've purchased the past five Christmas Jordan 11 retros because I feel they look nice enough for me to spend the retail price on them despite the lack of the exact look and detail from the original pair. In the end, we're all different and have differing opinions. Some may care more about the changes and despise what Jordan Brand has done/become due to nostalgia purposes. Others may find the details to be minute.
I believe that's his point exactly .... if you are giving crap every year and every year you buy it, why change? if the crap overtime becomes smellier but people don't mind, why change? 

Problem is that they don't make nearly enough sneaker for everyone so the ones they do make are going to sell because of your same attitude ...

Last edited:
Wish I could find the video but this thread remind me of when zayax and his homies were trying to expose people at house of hoops to see who's knowledgable about shoes :smh:

_'s can't even buy J's nowadays without lining up to have the CHANCE to spend your $ to buy the shoes :lol:

*Jerry Seinfeld .gif* IM GOOD

I am Def not about that twitter/raffle/bot life. It's been a good run though...

Man I know more than Bip... Patent leather is patent leather. The XI's deserve all the right to bear the name, the icy soles are so clean! I love the condition they come in now.

A noob to me is someone who wants a shoe but doesn't even appreciate the story and the history behind it.

I don't mind them either way. It seems that the new kids get on the old heads nerves because they're taking their spot in line, but to me that just proves they're getting them for the wrong reason. I'll buy some Powder X's because that color is a classic to me, and don't care if tons of teenagers are going after them. I don't like shoes because I want to impress that demographic, I buy them because I love them.

There's no reason older sneakerheads should try and tell kids these days they don't have the right to buy sneakers because they didn't see Mike fly in them.

Too many people that are older sneakerheads DO try to establish themselves at elitist and that's a cool title and all, but if everyone just helped share knowledge and speak truth it would be a better community overall. I've been around for a long time and developed my knowledge from people before me, so I gladly do the same to anyone willing to learn and appreciates the advice.

If you're just buying to fit in and want to match your SnapBack and don't care what we have to say, then deuces---I don't care about you.

It's always about quality over quantity for me. That goes for the people and the shoes.
Man buy the damn shoes you like and wear it. Nothing to talk about. Thats how yall feel about OG fast food heads vs noobs who think Taco bell is the stuff when OG Fast food heads BEEN on their mexican food steez?

Deserve bro? Its a damn piece of plastic and synthethic material. The heck you talking bout bruh. Its sneakers. They look cool, they fit well enough to wear..... spent dat money.... bought it..... wear that bit..... and thats the be all of it bruh.

Yall be trying to make these shoes mythical. That bit is a damn sneaker. They just look cool. Purpose is to wear them...... fella wear the shoe. Why do all this extra analyzing as if wht you saying even makes sense or matters(you voice ain't being heard cause you ain't cause enough noise boi).

ITs a shoe. Chill the fudge pack out bruh. Buy what you like and move the fudge pack on. Thats it.

Last edited:

Deserve bro? Its a damn piece of plastic and synthethic material. The heck you talking bout bruh. Its sneakers. They look cool, they fit well enough to wear..... spent dat money.... bought it..... wear that bit..... and thats the be all of it bruh.

Yall be trying to make these shoes mythical. That bit is a damn sneaker. They just look cool. Purpose is to wear them...... fella wear the shoe. Why do all this extra analyzing as if wht you saying even makes sense or matters(you voice ain't being heard cause you ain't cause enough noise boi).

ITs a shoe. Chill the fudge pack out bruh. Buy what you like and move the fudge pack on. Thats it.
you sound very ignorant .....

in addition, to some are shoes to others are a hobby to others is serious business.

you have that with a lot of things people can collect/purchases .... people buy rare cars for a reason, people purchases limited things for a reason, people collect guns for a reason, people collect bags for a reason, people collect bugs for a reason .... a lot of these things can be stupid to some but serious stuff to others .....

you trying to downplay the meaning of something to seems like you the only rational and logical person is pretty damn pathetic .... just saying!

you sound very ignorant .....

in addition, to some are shoes to others are a hobby to others is serious business.

you have that with a lot of things people can collect/purchases .... people buy rare cars for a reason, people purchases limited things for a reason, people collect guns for a reason, people collect bags for a reason, people collect bugs for a reason .... a lot of these things can be stupid to some but serious stuff to others .....

you trying to downplay the meaning of something to seems like you the only rational and logical person is pretty damn pathetic .... just saying!
And I'm flat out telling you that you are ignorant. I love the look and feel of certain shoes. However, I have little to no time to be worrying about about titles on sneakers or OG or noobs. Its useless. I just want the shoes. Hypebeast and all these other useless names takes away from the whole purpose of it all which is to buy and wear the damn shoes. Too many times people get distracted. Its a shoe. The hell do I care about what some "OG" says. Bruh, I want the shoe and thats what matters. The hell a OG gonna tell me to change my mind? I buy when I can afford it and like the shoe. Don't care about whats hyped or not. IF you like it, can afford it, buy it man. Nothing to huff and puff about.

And I'm flat out telling you that you are ignorant. I love the look and feel of certain shoes. However, I have little to no time to be worrying about about titles on sneakers or OG or noobs. Its useless. I just want the shoes. Hypebeast and all these other useless names takes away from the whole purpose of it all which is to buy and wear the damn shoes. Too many times people get distracted. Its a shoe. The hell do I care about what some "OG" says. Bruh, I want the shoe and thats what matters. The hell a OG gonna tell me to change my mind? I buy when I can afford it and like the shoe. Don't care about whats hyped or not. IF you like it, can afford it, buy it man. Nothing to huff and puff about.
LoL ...

ignorant fits you better ....

you are singing a different tune now from your previous post ....

SMH.

Keep it moving bruh, I don't have time to argue with know it all! 

Back
Top Bottom