OG Sneakerheads vs Noobs

OGs wear Jordans because Jordan made them popular
Noobs wear Jordans because Kanye "made them popular."

Last edited:
It's sad that there is a lot of nonsensical back and forth arguments in here about footwear that's made of rubber and leather. I hope we can get back on track and have civil discourse about something we all have in common.

P.S. I KNOW you are lurking this thread Nike 
mean.gif

Last edited:
what bothers me the most is its such a hassle to get shoes these days... the raffles, lines, hype, etc, its all just a pain. if there's younger dudes just getting into shoes & they genuinely like them & the history behind them, that's fine... i have no problem with that. but when im trying to get what i like & i have to go though the hassle of buying a pair because of resellers & some people who are buying them because its the in thing, that's where the problem is for me.

Nike is as hot as ever as far as sales are concerned because they can release anything with a limited stamp on it and it's a wrap. Instant sellout. So in turn the sheep who couldn't get the last "limited" release make it a point to get the next one, all the while the ones who got the previous are lurking for the next at the same time.

Just a damn pyramid scheme. :lol:

Last edited:
Nike is as hot as ever as far as sales are concerned because they can release anything with a limited stamp on it and it's a wrap. Instant sellout. So in turn the sheep who couldn't get the last "limited" release make it a point to get the next one, all the while the ones who got the previous are lurking for the next at the same time.

Just a damn pyramid scheme.
laugh.gif
Correct. 12/21 they drop the gamma 11, 12/26 CHRISTMAS SHOES(KD, KOBE, LEBRON), 12/28 Kobe prelude and Bred 1, monday Oregon Foams, tuesday, 3lab V, Lebron Mica, KD VI.

I mean its like being Wayne and dropping guest verses every week while you at your peak. No matter how good the song sounds, your wayne in peak popularity, Its gonna sell.

This is my type of thread. Im def. considered a OG sneakerhead... I've been into sneakers as an adult since like 99... Back when Niketalk was different and the same excuse the post count im just getting back on NT after a few years.. Everyone was a noob at one point, I know by me breaking necks i brought alot of people and knowledge into this culture and they were and are noobs. So that entire argument is void.. were talking about our younger siblings our kids, cousins, neighbors following into something we've influenced. 

As far as releases, bots, resellers, hypebeast, twitter links, raffles, etc... they make the culture. I know since back in 03-04 we had obstacles getting kicks..Fights breaking out, corrupt stores, CAMPING, i remeber DMP release in upstate Ny middle of the winter we outside the mall 10 degrees for the Gold box lol... Nike Sb jumped off, just different events that made it history.  met alot of resellers, collectors, old dudes, young cats, regular dudes like 95% of Nt. Alot of yall get hung on age about dudes over 30 waiting in a line, im 27 i haven't waited in a line in a few years for sneakers, but i do know if i want a greater chance at getting sneakers i might need to hop in a line.. much respect for those that still do whatever age.. Point is cop what can now a days,alot of options to get shoes now a days.. Retail gonna throw curveballs, human ingenuity will produce the next bot or method to get sneakers some will complain so will love but history continues to repeat and it wont change.

I remember when there was no RSVP

|I

I still don't know what raffles and RSVP's are like. I stopped buying those type of sneakers before that type of stuff was put in place. I do 80% of my shoe shopping online or I wait for things to go on sale in store. My taste changed a lot over the last 2.5 years. It's almost cliche at this point, but as I've gotten older I've adopted more of a menswear style than streetwear, so the basketball sneaker purchases have been replaced with runners and boots for the most part.

I'm 36 and I consider myself as an "old man" who likes sneakers as I've been acquiring Jordan's since 1988.

"Back in the day" Jordan's were made to hoop in, not walking around the mall with sole-protectors on...lol. We couldn't wait to lace up our new Jordan's for the next basketball game. If you wore the newest J's in your church league/middle school/high school basketball game, you were the man!! Everybody in the gym had their eyes on your kicks.

Nowadays you can barely walk around in a pair of J's let alone hoop in them.
People were also robbed, shot and killed back in the day as well. I think because you were considered to have money if you had Jordan's on your feet.

And for those of you who says "if you're an OG who doesn't have a connect then..." First, most of us old guys who had connects back then, the stores don't even exist anymore. How many 40 year olds do you know who works in a retail sneaker store??

I remember when Jordan's were sold in Kauffman's which is now Macy's. How many remember when Footlocker actually resembled a locker room/gym??

Also back then Jordan's only released a couple time a year, not every week like it is today. And there was no such thing as retros.

Fast forward to now, the sneaker culture has changed drastically for the worst IMO. The quality is terrible and the colors are even worse and prices are :smh: Now I don't have anything against the new generation. I have (2) 17 y.o. sons who's into sneakers, but i refuse to let them become apart of the new sneaker generation. Hell, I just recently figured out how to use Twitter to buy the shoes that I would consider buying..:rolleyes

Just let the kids be..they will grow out of it just like some of us old dudes did.

I only buy what I like and in OG colorways when it comes to JB/NIKE retros.

I'm 36 and I consider myself as an "old man" who likes sneakers as I've been acquiring Jordan's since 1988.

"Back in the day" Jordan's were made to hoop in, not walking around the mall with sole-protectors on...lol. We couldn't wait to lace up our new Jordan's for the next basketball game. If you wore the newest J's in your church league/middle school/high school basketball game, you were the man!! Everybody in the gym had their eyes on your kicks.

Nowadays you can barely walk around in a pair of J's let alone hoop in them.
People were also robbed, shot and killed back in the day as well. I think because you were considered to have money if you had Jordan's on your feet.

And for those of you who says "if you're an OG who doesn't have a connect then..." First, most of us old guys who had connects back then, the stores don't even exist anymore. How many 40 year olds do you know who works in a retail sneaker store??

I remember when Jordan's were sold in Kauffman's which is now Macy's. How many remember when Footlocker actually resembled a locker room/gym??

Also back then Jordan's only released a couple time a year, not every week like it is today. And there was no such thing as retros.

Fast forward to now, the sneaker culture has changed drastically for the worst IMO. The quality is terrible and the colors are even worse and prices are :smh: Now I don't have anything against the new generation. I have (2) 17 y.o. sons who's into sneakers, but i refuse to let them become apart of the new sneaker generation. Hell, I just recently figured out how to use Twitter to buy the shoes that I would consider buying..:rolleyes

Just let the kids be..they will grow out of it just like some of us old dudes did.

I only buy what I like and in OG colorways when it comes to JB/NIKE retros.

So much truth here, especially having a 'connect at a sneaker store'. "Urban malls' around me were closing left and right, and had no choice but to hop on the internet. I can't deal with the attitudes at these corny sneaker boutiques either. I'll let the kids do them, and wait til they move on to the next thing.

If u tried to get a connect before it was like
"Damn this dudes really into sneakers lol..ima look out for him "

Now its like

"Oh hes just tryin to come up"

:nthat:

Right there is the truth.... I'm only 25, and never saw MJ, CB34, ect in their prime, or even at all... But I completely understand why certain shoes held the test of time whether its design, player, colors, statement it made, and usually all of the above... And for the record, I wear the **** outta the few sneakers I'm able to drop money on, so i have nothing dan near 3 years old... But I am a damn sneakerhead and proud of it...

How did you not see MJ or Barkley play? I'm 26 and saw all those dudes play, penny, Ewing, Houston, miller. I used to watch Jordan battle it out with the jazz back in 97. I remember watching him play the flu game. That's when dudes really had heart.
Also, many dudes wanna sound like "OG" cuz they think that makes em sound cool or sorta an "elitist" Cuz calling kids hypebeast makes em feel in way "better"

:x I'm so sorry bruh.

I'm 25 and I've seen them play live. When MJ came to DC at the MCI center, my dad and uncle would take me and my cousin :pimp:

Nothing better than rooting for your home team AND MJ as a kid. It was a win/win situation.

Correct. 12/21 they drop the gamma 11, 12/26 CHRISTMAS SHOES(KD, KOBE, LEBRON), 12/28 Kobe prelude and Bred 1, monday Oregon Foams, tuesday, 3lab V, Lebron Mica, KD VI.

I mean its like being Wayne and dropping guest verses every week while you at your peak. No matter how good the song sounds, your wayne in peak popularity, Its gonna sell.
Why are you talking about Wayne ... this **** is more like No Limit Records back in the days .. they truly did have a CD dropping every week. **** is ridiculous!

Deserve bro? Its a damn piece of plastic and synthethic material. The heck you talking bout bruh. Its sneakers. They look cool, they fit well enough to wear..... spent dat money.... bought it..... wear that bit..... and thats the be all of it bruh.

Yall be trying to make these shoes mythical. That bit is a damn sneaker. They just look cool. Purpose is to wear them...... fella wear the shoe. Why do all this extra analyzing as if wht you saying even makes sense or matters(you voice ain't being heard cause you ain't cause enough noise boi).

ITs a shoe. Chill the fudge pack out bruh. Buy what you like and move the fudge pack on. Thats it.

You can talk that nonsense all you want, my sapling. But, none of that can take away the fact that I, and people like me, ran several laps around this whole track before you even knew it existed.

We wore all this stuff when it meant something to have it. You are derivative.

Like I said, I'm good. I don't have to worry about what pops nowadays.

I'm still spending money from '88, so to speak.

Back
Top Bottom