Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

after some more time to think it over im knocking sicario down to a 4.5/8

didnt feel like it was a story worth telling

would have been more interesting if centred around del toro's character

blunt did a great job with what she had but the only likable quality of her character was that it was played by emily blunt. 

what makes movies enjoyable are the emotional highs and lows, this movie just continues to hit you with low after low. by the end of the movie I couldn't care less about what happened to emily blunt who is supposed to be the one character we root for

Just got done with True Story (2015) starring James Franco and Jonah Hill...

That's cool as long as you're aware that's a totally subjective view about what makes movies good.

Movies don't need a character to root for to be good or emotional highs and lows.

They just need to entertain and/or connect with enough ppl on any level, emotional or otherwise.

I just got done watching Top of the Lake a few days ago and it's basically a SVU detective trying to find out who impregnated a 12 yr old go, that then leads to a missing person's case when the girl runs away. A few reveals, some beatings, a death, disturbing back story, and a mystery being solved and at the end it's pretty much low after low after low with a very unclear ending.

I felt the series was very well done. 6.3/8

Just started The Honorable Woman

Last edited:
That's cool as long as you're aware that's a totally subjective view about what makes movies good.

Movies don't need a character to root for to be good or emotional highs and lows.

They just need to entertain and/or connect with enough ppl on any level, emotional or otherwise.
of course, I hope that people like the movie way more than I did

I cant think of many if any movies that are good where I didnt have a character that I rooted for, the thing about this movie was there was no character that I hated either. 

read over all his other work (all with decent reviews) and it seems to be the same hopelessly dreadful stuff. I personally dont understand why people would watch this stuff about how ****** humanity can be but to each his own.

weird thing about RT scores

they counted a C+ review (LA times) as rotten

but a 7/10 (forbes) is fresh 

Was watching The Warriors earlier & even tho he was only in the movie for a short amount of time, Cleon seemed like the realest in the Warriors. Also that lightskin boul with the afro & spray can seemed kinda sus to me lol. He was TOO soft lol

of course, I hope that people like the movie way more than I did

I cant think of many if any movies that are good where I didnt have a character that I rooted for, the thing about this movie was there was no character that I hated either. 

read over all his other work (all with decent reviews) and it seems to be the same hopelessly dreadful stuff. I personally dont understand why people would watch this stuff about how ****** humanity can be but to each his own.
Eh, sometimes filmmakers don't make movies to make you feel good or hopeful or excited.

Sometimes whether based on something real or just fiction it's about making you think and reflect. You might not like anybody in it or identify with somebody but it's about what the story says to you.

I find this director to have a pretty strong resume of the films I've seen made by him.

And just on another note, I just happen to be a fan of the unhappy ending. I've long grown tired of ppl saying fiction should solely be made for escapism and shouldn't be about or reference real world problems.

just watched the babadook...my lady thought it was scary.

i thought it was trash

blunt did a great job with what she had but the only likable quality of her character was that it was played by emily blunt. 

what makes movies enjoyable are the emotional highs and lows, this movie just continues to hit you with low after low. by the end of the movie I couldn't care less about what happened to emily blunt who is supposed to be the one character we root for
I felt the opposite of Blunt's character. I liked her, and yes they could have done more to develop, but in what felt like a short 2 hours with a lot going on, the movie did alright with a minimal background story. I felt like there was enough insight into her character to root for her.

And I loved that there wasn't a clear right vs wrong parable that we always get; the hopelessness is an unfortunate byproduct of this storytelling, but one that resonates with how the world actually seems to work. All you hear about from Mexico today is how anyone standing up to the cartels is dead. There's just no end to the lows in the war on drugs. As Brolin's character explained, they only hope to contain the problems. 2 sides in a war with no end.

Last edited:
Got stuck watching Project Greenlight.

**** is dope. That Effe chick is that typical, nevermind, I hate that batch though.

I felt the opposite of Blunt's character. I liked her, and yes they could have done more to develop, but in what felt like a short 2 hours with a lot going on, the movie did alright with a minimal background story. I felt like there was enough insight into her character to root for her.

And I loved that there wasn't a clear right vs wrong parable that we always get; the hopelessness is an unfortunate byproduct of this storytelling, but one that resonates with how the world actually seems to work. All you hear about from Mexico today is how anyone standing up to the cartels is dead. There's just no end to the lows in the war on drugs. As Brolin's character explained, they only hope to contain the problems. 2 sides in a war with no end.
*spoilers*

IMO it would have been better for blunts character to be all in at the beginning then slowly realise that what they are doing is morally wrong (in her eyes). Instead she spends the entire movie as the third wheel, on the outside looking in. She did absolutely nothing to advance the plot other than almost letting dude smash, I'm not sure what she expected from the drug war but I wasn't at all surprised at what del toro and brolin were up to so I felt like she was over reacting when threatening to snitch. There's not much character development, she's the same straight edge by the rules character that she was at the begining of the movie except her spirit is broken. I would not have felt any different if she would have killed herself at the end of the movie. She gets pushed around and pressured into things for the entire movie (especially the end), just an overall weak character. At no point in the movie did I feel like she actually liked her job, and the movie hardly showed us any of her character when doing things not related to the job. 

The issue with not being clear who's in the right and who's in the wrong is that this ambiguity is driven by the (in my opinion) pointless blunt character. A movie centred around brolin and del toro and all the shady, terrible things they do would be way more interesting and it gives the audience that anti hero internal conflict of "these guys are cool but damn they do some dark, evil stuff". Instead we have blunts character who's only purpose is to be an observer like us, voicing her opinion over how this stuff is not right. 

the buildup of suspense before and after the actual violence was masterfully done, I just felt like that was all the movie had to offer.

lawdog1 lawdog1

Last edited:
Who is the one with her on the subway? It's in NY so i'm surprised there aren't any guys in the back jerking themselves to those 2 fine women. My hot Asian friend said there was a few times where she's seen guys on the train doing it while staring at her.

Last edited:
Exceptional batch of pics today champcruthik champcruthik - I think my favorite is the one where she's got classes on. Showing her nerdy side; so cute.
@psk2310 was kind of enough to share this with me. Thought you and others might enjoy.

Who is the one with her on the subway? It's in NY so i'm surprised there aren't any guys in the back jerking themselves to those 2 fine women. My hot Asian friend said there was a few times where she's seen guys on the train doing it while staring at her.
Couldn't find the name of girl on the right. Didn't see a tag on FB or Instagram. Em Rata captioned something to the effect of, "N Train back from Marc Jacobs."

Em Rata's Instagram post for reference:

Unfortunately you and I both know that's fairly common practice in NYC. Bunch of NTers riding the subway WIO.

I'm classy when I fap on the train. Only make eye contact when it's about to be done.

Anyway, the sense8 thread is pretty dead so i'll post in here. Some of the storylines and stuff are cheesey but overall I really enjoyed the show. I like when they all started to get to know each other and would tag in when someone needed help. My bae, Riley has had it tough. Show is way better and more fun than that reboot lf heroes.

Haven't heard of this film until like a hour ago but I'm in after this clip

Same director as 50/50, a film a really enjoyed, and I'm a sucker for a Christmas comedy

It suffers from the basic problem most showtime shows do.. It runs a bit too long and they get repetitive.

The first few seasons are awesome and it always has its moments. But the series isn't as great as it could be. Still Entertaining

laugh.gif
 at all 3 of us with the same basic analysis.. starts off good, ends up being bad 

Back
Top Bottom