Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Me and earl and the dying girl is a great movie based on cinematography alone. this hit me only 5 mins in

there is a shot in sicario of a man entering a cave where the dark blue opening creates a frame for the subject of the shot that is just genius

might be my favorite singular camera shot of the year

I throw on Me and Earl movie and sort of pay attention, just thinking its another high school hipster kid movie but seeing some shots I had to stop myself and actually pay attention. Do research and the director is mexican-american (1st hint) but more importantly he was a personal assistant to Scorsese, De Niro and second huge hint Inarritu (Birdman and The Revenant that's coming out with Leo later this year). Then it clicked to me
laugh.gif

The cinematographer is south korean but new to me so there's that

For some reason I never saw this, 13 Conversations About One Thing. Had it on in the background and then I heard Matthew McConaughey's and John Turturro's voices and then started paying attention.

^
Wow. What a coincidence. I was watching The End of The Affair on tv earlier and it listed 13 Conversations under similar movies. I never heard of that movie.

This may sound silly but can I watch season 2 of True Detectives before season 1?

Reason being is I've heard season 2 is so disappointing compared to season 1 so I want to watch my man Colin without bias
laugh.gif

So can I watch 2 then 1 or do they connect at all?
Yeah, they have nothing to do with each other whatsoever. 

Colin's performance was god-like in season 2 
pimp.gif

That & me hoping Rachel McAdams would bust it open one time for HBO was really the only reasons I watched the entire season. 

Started BB. 4 eps in.

The characterization is pretty solid. Already seeing Walt's transition.

Last edited:
Good, stick with it.. some complain it's not that  exciting when they first started it.

Saw The Martian  today. Lights dim, movie begins... The Martian comes up across the screen... then the emergency lights and alarm sounds. "whoooooooop, there's been an emergency in the building, please leave the theater". No word on what it was, but the fire department was coming and they told us hold on to your tickets and we'll let you in to another showing at a later day.

So I went to another theater and saw it there. Loved it. Great cast, action was there, the special effects were incredible, which isn't a surprise because despite the issues, Scott did a great job with Prometheous. The 3D was excellent for this movie.

I loved how they managed to balance the story between Watney, the Hermes and crew, and the people on the ground. You got plenty of time with each story and they didn't jump back and forth like some movies might have. The entire cast was excellent, everyone played their part well.. especially giving credit to Damon, Chastain, Bridges and Ejiofor. I kept waiting for Donald Glover to show up and was hoping he would be more involved, but he still did well.

Just an entertaining movie, top to bottom. Had a ton of laughs, emotional beats were earned and honest, exciting to watch with great special effects and cinematography, there were just very little things to complain about. I can easily see myself rewatching this movie all of the time. It definitely picked up my mood... which was appreciated because I had a panic attack in my car afterwards because my life sucks.

Definitely go see it, and the 3D was worth it.

I'm like you guys, i dont need the action when i sit down and take something serious. the intricacies of this show so far are excellent. the way each character is being built up, the flashbacks, it's not boring at all. just good, slow burning tv.

Started BB. 4 eps in.

Wait, what? Just now starting Breaking????????????

Holy **** are we going to enjoy you posting a lot of emotion pretty soon. :lol :hat
You know how I'm like 5-10 years behind conventional hype :lol The chick I'm talking to loved BB so she's got me watching it. Pretty dope so far. Bruh when Walt blows up Ken Wins' car :lol that transition.

me hoping Rachel McAdams would bust it open one time for HBO was really the only reasons I watched the entire season. 

Really don't see that coming from McAdams or at least any time soon. If she gets nekkid, it will be years down the line, after her career has stalled a bit, a la Meg Ryan getting nude in In the Cut when she was well into her 40s.

Last edited:
Saw The Martian  today. Lights dim, movie begins... The Martian comes up across the screen... then the emergency lights and alarm sounds. "whoooooooop, there's been an emergency in the building, please leave the theater". No word on what it was, but the fire department was coming and they told us hold on to your tickets and we'll let you in to another showing at a later day.

Just an entertaining movie, top to bottom. Had a ton of laughs, emotional beats were earned and honest, exciting to watch with great special effects and cinematography, there were just very little things to complain about. I can easily see myself rewatching this movie all of the time. It definitely picked up my mood... which was appreciated because I had a panic attack in my car afterwards because my life sucks.

Definitely go see it, and the 3D was worth it.
At first, I was like... what's this about emergency lights and alarm sounds, I didn't hear anything about that.
roll.gif

Solid review. Echoes what I've been hearing from friends. I'm probably going to catch it this weekend, probably not in 3D though, the neighborhood theater doesn't play that. 

As for how your life sucks...

tumblr_lj23v5yPfo1qa5504o1_500.png

Many of us thought the alarm was apart of the movie.. but the emergency lights going off was a little too elaborate to be a stunt (plus we would have heard about it ahead of time.. plus that's super risky considering the shooting tragedy that occurred a few years ago)

Started BB. 4 eps in.

In some regards, I wish I never watched BB. It set too high of a standard for which I expect from every TV show I watch now. I find myself comparing even garbage shows like walking dead and expecting them to be great, but in truth there will never be another BB. Show was that good, beginning to end.

Who here watched Everest? Decent movie, but I have no idea why Jake Gyllenhaal is even in this movie :lol

Started BB. 4 eps in.

Wait, what? Just now starting Breaking????????????

Holy **** are we going to enjoy you posting a lot of emotion pretty soon. :lol :hat
He don't be joking when he says he'll catch a movie we're all raving about in 2033 :lol

Can't wait til Frank gets to Crawlspace :smokin
me hoping Rachel McAdams would bust it open one time for HBO was really the only reasons I watched the entire season.

Really don't see that coming from McAdams or at least any time soon. If she gets nekkid, it will be years down the line, after her career has stalled a bit, a la Meg Ryan getting nude in In the Cut when she was well into her 40s.
It's too late for an actress like her.

Some talented ones are free with it and willing, others will refuse and rely on their talent. It'd probably take a director she dreamed to work with to get her to go fully nude in a movie (doubtful on tv).

I can see her showing tittays in her 50s though. Get on her Helen Mirren grind :hat
Many of us thought the alarm was apart of the movie.. but the emergency lights going off was a little too elaborate to be a stunt (plus we would have heard about it ahead of time.. plus that's super risky considering the shooting tragedy that occurred a few years ago)
It would've been hilarious if it was apart of the movie and Mat Damon showed up and directed everybody out the theater :lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom