Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Cooley High’ Remake For MGM, DeVon Franklin, Common & Tony Krantz
http://deadline.com/2016/07/cooley-high-remake-mgm-devon-franklin-common-tony-krantz-1201788977/

cooley-high1.jpg

EXCLUSIVE: Cooley High has been set for a remake at MGM with DeVon Franklin,Common and Tony Krantz partnering on the seminal 1975 coming-of-age drama. Seth Rosenfeld will write the script. Set in 1960s Chicago and focused on a group of high school pals with big dreams of getting out of the South Side, Cooley High fell in with a series of terrific coming-of-age films that included American Graffiti, The Lords Of Flatbush and The Wanderers.

Beyond that, the original became influential in African-American storytelling, in that it told a complex depiction of life as a black American and didn’t fit the blaxploitation mold of the time. The Michael Schultz-directed film cost $750,000 to make and grossed more than $13 million. Lighthearted at times, Cooley High also addressed serious topics such as gang violence, masculinity, sexism and the value of education in the black community. That made it fertile ground for Franklin, the former Sony exec who has focused on films with uplifting content; Chicago native Common, who with John Legend shared the Oscar for Best Song for Selma‘s “Glory”; and Krantz, whose father Steve Krantz produced the original film. They felt it a timely project in light of the racial unrest that has followed several high-profile shootings throughout the country.

Franklin will produce through his Franklin Entertainment, Common under Freedom Road Productions and Krantz through Flame Ventures. Drew Comins will executive produce for Flame Ventures along with Derek Dudley for Freedom Road. Jonathan Glickman and Adam Rosenberg will oversee the project for MGM, which is coming off the success of Me Before You, which it produced. That pic, starring Emilia Clarke and Sam Claflin based on Jojo Moyes’ bestseller, has grossed $172.9M worldwide since Warner Bros released it last month.

Rosenfeld, whose credits include HBO’s How to Make It in America and King of the Jungle, is working on Baz Luhrmann’s Netflix series The Get Down. Franklin, Common, Krantz and Rosenfeld are all repped by CAA. Franklin is also repped by attorney John Meigs at Hansen Jacobsen.

:smh::smh::smh:

Gold starring Mathew Mcconehey 6/8

Great performance by him. Entertaining story. I didn't see what happened coming.

Burnt starring Bradley Cooper 6.5/8

Really dug this flick. It reminded me of Mission Impossible in a world of chefs. Outcast master chef dude assembles his crew of rag tag chef experts to get back at his rival etc. except there's way more cussing. And bomb *** cooking.

That spicy betrayal in Burnt :smh: :lol:

Ive had the Gold movie in my phone since last year. Shame on me for not watching it yet.

No comment on the Cooley High remake.

I didn't know Franco was in HBO's new show 'The Deuce'

Him and Maggie, this ought to be a good piece.
70's backdrops are always watchable to me.
Such an intriguing era.
Everything was fly.
Some of the best Music.
All the way in.

Nothing against the It remake at all, but I personally enjoyed the original It more than this new one. Don't get me wrong, the new Pennywise did a great job though!

Margarita Levieva is stunning.
I haven't seen her in anything since Spread w/ AshtonKutcher.
Seems like she was in one other movie but I can't place it without IMDB.(Sleeping with Other People w/Sudekis)
She's in The Deuce, the student that bangs her Prof.
Absolutely stunning though.
Maggie getting the boobs out first ep :pimp:

Why doesn't Hollywood remake films that were bad, but could've been better if a different crew had made it?
Well you want to throw that idea out there, go ahead and start it off with a list. :D

I know there are tons of movies out there but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Tickets for the 55th New York Film Festival went on sale yesterday and I was able to snag tickets to:

Mudbound
The Florida Project
The Square

Hoping to get tickets to LadyBird & Call Me By Your Name when additional screenings are announced.

Weekend Recap:
CHIPS 4/8 - I'm a big Michael Pena fan, but Dax was just too annoying the whole time.

Captain Underpants 5/8 - The kids loved it and the animation is cool. Kevin Harts voice threw me off though...

She's Out of my League
Always a good watch.

"Uh Kirk, Molly is in to you..."

The look on Kirk's face always gets me. :rofl:

Super Mario Brothers
Whoever owns that property if made in Hollywood would OD on cgi and 3D and make it way more campy/goofy or crass just for a payday.

Like that Pixel movie.

But again in concept and theory there's a great version of that movie with that material.

Super Mario Brothers
Damn you went straight in for the kill, unreal how bad that movie was and it didn't need to be, :smh:

Since it was mentioned in here I nominate Death Note.
ET
Highlander
Starship Troopers
Catwoman
Lawnmower Man
The Last Airbender
Swamp Thing
Dragonball
Transformers (entire series is trash)
Wild Wild West
Robocop
Mortal Kombat
Cyborg
Miami Vice (as bad as it is I bought it about a month ago on Blu Ray and enjoyed how bad it was)
Doom
Battleship
Double Dragon
Avatar (personally thought the movie was more special effects and less substance)
Deep Impact (they tried to make a splash like Armageddon but really just made a ripple)
Green Lantern
Max Payne
Cool World
Street Fighter

Weekend Recap:
CHIPS 4/8 - I'm a big Michael Pena fan, but Dax was just too annoying the whole time.

Captain Underpants 5/8 - The kids loved it and the animation is cool. Kevin Harts voice threw me off though...
Was that 4 for the scene with Kristen Bell giving the swimming lesson. I heard her talk about the scene on Seth Meyers and I was like DAMN I need to check the movie out just for that scene.

:rofl:

"Well Kirk the reason they're hanging back is they're trying to force the Power Play"

Dude really pulled a stunner with a love for Sports.
His family at the lunch table though.... grilling her about party planning. :rofl:

"So how much do you charge for a wedding, we're getting married soon"

"About 50 grand"

"F you!"

:rofl:

Krysten Ritter was looking like a snack in that Film

Was that 4 for the scene with Kristen Bell giving the swimming lesson. I heard her talk about the scene on Seth Meyers and I was like DAMN I need to check the movie out just for that scene.

Yes. Pena is also a sex addict in the movie... made me laugh a few times...

Back
Top Bottom