Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Watched Den Of Thieves last night, it was def a solid action movie with a plot twist at the end that I wish they would have expanded on a bit further. It definitely has elements of Heat but not like that's a bad thing. Pablo and Gerard were really good as the leads and O'Shea Jackson Jr played his part very well, 50's acting was so-so. I probably wouldn't have seen it in theaters if I didn't have moviepass but can say I wouldn't have been mad if I spent money on it.

As a big UFC fan Max Holloway's few scenes were pretty basic and Michael Bisping managed to outshine him for the minute he was in it lol.
How do you think it compares to some movies in the same genre ie Heat. I hate to say even Takers since it was a heist movie.

How do you think it compares to some movies in the same genre ie Heat. I hate to say even Takers since it was a heist movie.
It's leaps and bounds better than Takers which was mildly entertaining but a mess overall. I'd put it up there with movies like The Town and Inside Man but just below classics like Reservoir Dogs and Heat.

The Shape of Water was outstanding. Just left the theater. Loved the visuals, the subliminals, the symbolism. Very much reminded me of Delicatessen.

One thing that stood out was the theme of your voice being your power.

**Girl feels like she has no power, and one of the most powerful scenes in the film is when she makes her neighbor speak the words she's signing, giving her the power to do something, instead of being silent.

**The sign at her work "Loose lips sink ships" was pretty blatant.

**The part where they are showing black people being sprayed by fire hoses on tv (I don't know if it was a civil rights protest or a riot or what, I can't remember) but dude was like "turn that off, I don't wanna hear it or see it" goes with that theme of doing nothing, saying nothing.

** Physically not being able to speak underwater etc etc etc

** The main bad guy, who is basically a walking talking description of patriarchy, (In sociology, patriarchy is a social system in which males hold primary power and predominate in roles of political leadership, moral authority, social privilege and control of property. In the domain of the family, fathers or father-figures hold authority over women and children.) is defeated by having his throats slashed, literally losing his voice........and his power. He also get turned on by women who are silent :lol:

Anyways that's just ONE immediate lens I saw the movie through upon my first viewing. Gonna have to watch again and look for different themes. But the thing I liked most about the film was the directors ability to take this quote

"Unable to perceive the shape of You, I find You all around me. Your presence fills my eyes with Your love, It humbles my heart, For You are everywhere..."

and perfectly illustrate it on film. 7.3/8 for me broskis.

Last edited:
TV is different now. Vastly different in the laters 2000s compardd to the 90s.

I remember being super young not knowing anything about shows in syndication so for me I just thought these were new shows airing in the present just set in the past.

I knew I pretty much watched every so of Happy Days cuz of that.

The Shape of Water was outstanding. Just left the theater. Loved the visuals, the subliminals, the symbolism. Very much reminded me of Delicatessen.

**Girl feels like she has no power, and one of the most powerful scenes in the film is when she makes her neighbor speak the words she's signing, giving her the power to do something, instead of being silent.

**The part where they are showing black people being sprayed by fire hoses on tv (I don't know if it was a civil rights protest or a riot or what, I can't remember) but dude was like "turn that off, I don't wanna hear it or see it" goes with that theme of doing nothing, saying nothing.

** The main bad guy, who is basically a walking talking description of patriarchy, (In sociology, patriarchy is a social system in which males hold primary power and predominate in roles of political leadership, moral authority, social privilege and control of property. In the domain of the family, fathers or father-figures hold authority over women and children.) is defeated by having his throats slashed, literally losing his voice........and his power. He also get turned on by women who are silent :lol:

Anyways that's just ONE immediate lense I saw the movie through upon my first viewing. Gonna have to watch again and look for different themes. But the thing I liked most about the film was the directors ability to take this quote

"Unable to perceive the shape of You, I find You all around me. Your presence fills my eyes with Your love, It humbles my heart, For You are everywhere..."

That’s it, I need to stop BS’n & make time to go watch this flick.

ComplexLeftBurro-max-1mb.gif

Did anyone in here watch the premiere to Waco last night? Pretty good. Imma watch that Ruby Ridge doc on Netflix to get more backstory into that since it was just shown basically as a transition to the mainstory at Waco

Also does anyone in here watch Happy! Great but crazy & funny show lol

Anyways that's just ONE immediate lense I saw the movie through upon my first viewing. Gonna have to watch again and look for different themes. But the thing I liked most about the film was the directors ability to take this quote

Yep.
Guillermo won Sally Hawkins the Oscar simply because he was able to Direct her as if she was that quote. Her character was the embodiment of the end scene, quote. I don't know how he got those 5 characters to live the script out loud, but this film is going to win it's fair share of those 13nominations.

Even watching it, I too was humbled in heart.
There was this feeling of overwhelming happiness because I knew that something on the brink of sadness was going to lose out to decency. Amazing film and that's due to Guillermo. The man is an Alien.

Yep.
Guillermo won Sally Hawkins the Oscar simply because he was able to Direct her as if she was that quote. Her character was the embodiment of the end scene, quote. I don't know how he got those 5 characters to live the script out loud, but this film is going to win it's fair share of those 13nominations.

Even watching it, I too was humbled in heart.
There was this feeling of overwhelming happiness because I knew that something on the brink of sadness was going to lose out to decency. Amazing film and that's due to Guillermo. The man is an Alien.

1000% agree with all of this!

Did anyone in here watch the premiere to Waco last night? Pretty good. Imma watch that Ruby Ridge doc on Netflix to get more backstory into that since it was just shown basically as a transition to the mainstory at Waco

Also does anyone in here watch Happy! Great but crazy & funny show lol
Series like that I have to catch when it is done. I get to amped for the next episode, that is how I watched the OJ series. Personally thought it was amazing, I don't know if they were reaching or making OJ that clueless or if some of that was really his actions.

I watched Nick at Nite and so did my sister in law back in the 90's. Some funny shows back in the day, use to watch a lot of TV. Catch Quantum Leap in the afternoon.

I still watch Quantum Leap ...

One of my favorite shows growing up.

If Den of Thieves is anything lik The Town and Inside Man, im going to enjoy it.

Also, do any of you guys think now that Spike is Paramount are they bringing some heat originals?

I still watch Quantum Leap ...

One of my favorite shows growing up.

If Den of Thieves is anything lik The Town and Inside Man, im going to enjoy it.

Also, do any of you guys think now that Spike is Paramount are they bringing some heat originals?
Spike is Paramount, didn't know that. I saw the Waco commercial and I asked the wife what channel is Paramount. UPN20 is long gone.

Anyone watch Waco last night? I'm thinking of watching that documentary first to get the background.

damn yall aint familiar with the waco event ? didnt it happen in the 90’s? yall must be hella young lol

If someone was born in 1985 they were only like 7 or 8 when it happened. I was mad young. I remember grown ups talking about it but didn't really know about the ins and outs until I watched Oklahoma City and Ruby Ridge.

If someone was born in 1985 they were only like 7 or 8 when it happened. I was mad young. I remember grown ups talking about it but didn't really know about the ins and outs until I watched Oklahoma City and Ruby Ridge.
85'er checking in lol, I vaguely heard about it but didn't grasp the gravity of the event at the time.

Texas has a bunch of crazies like the branch davidians that have massive properties fenced off. When I used to visit a good friend in Austin in the mid 90s, we used to pass some massive land fenced off on the way to a BBQ place called the Salt Lick. The fence had to be like 10-12' high with heavy barbed wire on the top. As we were passing the property, I remember thinking how much dough they dropped for this fence...

Back
Top Bottom