Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Darkest Hour 7/8

Gary Oldman is unrecognizable as Churchill. As time goes on I think they even made him a bit fatter and older. 20 min in to it and you just know this is gonna be greatness as an acring performance.

I've been hesitant cuz I've just haven't been in the mood for a wartime flick but this story really drew me in since its way more about Churchill's struggle to lead his country to survival and victory.

Oldman is a sure thing for best actor. Don't think this prisoner of the moment feeling either. DDL was great but not like this. Timothée and Daniel were good but no comparison. Denzel was great and is a threat but his movie was nowhere near as good.

I, Tonya 6.7/8

This was fun, entertaining, mad funny, and heartfelt.

Some of the cgi or sfx to do the skating maneuvers were too obvious.

I am shocked though. The rumor I always assumed was true was that Tonya broke Nancy's knee. Come tonfind out she didn't do it and had nothing to do with it.

This Shawn guy :rofl: :rofl: Son is mind numbingly dumb delusional and it is so funny.

Story went from underdog to scumbag status.

The writing and directing was on point. Tonya had a ****ed up life even if some of this was exaggerated.

Margot was great. Like she can act, digging her wheelhouse. Don't look a damn thing like Tonya even when they tried to ugly her up.

Sebastian Stan should've got a supporting actor nom. He was really good in this. Played a real good dumb scumbag.

Alison Janney was dynamite with her scenes. Hilarious and such a terrible person/mother.

I'm beginning to notice a lot of similar themes with a good amount of these movies.
ALL FACTS

Den of Thieves 6.2/8

Pretty good. I was mad unsure about this especially after looking at the RT score.

Its written so its bit of cat and mouse, bit of a battle of wits between the cops and the bank robbers/criminals. I didn't thindkd they could sell it since its between Butler and Schriber. Now Schrieber is low key grrat but Butler fell off to me.

The plot is good and if you come in with regular predictions as the story goes on you'll be wrong.

Directing was good. Managed some real good tense scenes during the heist.

The climax with wild with the shootout and where it takes place. Great twist/reveal with O'Shea in the end.

This is definitely no Triple 9.

Show times aint matching for me and Shape of Water and Hostiles are on a different level so after Maze Runner (only thing left at this time) I'm calling it a night. 4 movies aint bad.

Den of Thieves 6.2/8

Pretty good. I was mad unsure about this especially after looking at the RT score.

Its written so its bit of cat and mouse, bit of a battle of wits between the cops and the bank robbers/criminals. I didn't thindkd they could sell it since its between Butler and Schriber. Now Schrieber is low key grrat but Butler fell off to me.

The plot is good and if you come in with regular predictions as the story goes on you'll be wrong.

Directing was good. Managed some real good tense scenes during the heist.

The climax with wild with the shootout and where it takes place. Great twist/reveal with O'Shea in the end.

This is definitely no Triple 9.

Show times aint matching for me and Shape of Water and Hostiles are on a different level so after Maze Runner (only thing left at this time) I'm calling it a night. 4 movies aint bad.

I've been meaning to watch Triple 9 as it's on Amazon Prime and has mixed reviews. Worth it?

I've been meaning to watch Triple 9 as it's on Amazon Prime and has mixed reviews. Worth it?
I mean if you don't have to pay for it and you have the time it's an okay 2 hrs. Not terrible by any means but could've been better.

I think its also available on Showtime on demand.

Found my post about it in here

Triple 9 wasn't as bad as said. 5.7/8. Cool little flick. Maybe could've ended better. All that betrayal in the end.

Teresa Palmer's *** and Kate Winslet with that Russian accent can all get ******.

Woody :smokin

Last edited:
Man, tell me why Maze Runner gave me a better Littlefinger death than Game of Thrones :lol: :smh:

Maze Runner 5.6/8

It was okay. My fault barely remembering the details of the past movies I watched on tv.

The main story is ****** up but I like that the issues were even tackled. A zombie virus spreads across the world. Last of humanity is trying to find a cure and they stumble across extracting a serum from blood of teenagers whonare immune to the virus when they experience high levels of fear and stress that fights off the virus. All that sciencey stuff, some chemical is released in your bloodstream when you experience fear.

Anyway, they use virtual worlds to torture these kids just so they can save humanity. That's a real conundrum.

Come to find out the main character got that magic blood to destroy the virus but in the end all of the ppl cast out of the safe zone just destroy the city. Somehow they got weaponry to take down skyscrapers and **** :lol: Basically any scientist that could use his blood to make the cure is killed (mostly off screen).

Some other cast outs had a plan to basically leave whatever part of the world the teens were being hunted to find a safe haven. Tell me why even after knowing they can make a cure and save all of humanity they still leave to like Hawaii and leave everybody else to die :lol:

Such a strange and poor message.

Last edited:
.....and of course I end up staying to read Zik.

So, you're telling me that Tonya had nothing to do with hobbling Nancy? Like for serious?
I don't believe it, you typed that wrong?

I'll be considerate and put this in spoilers

Okay so, Tonya weeks (or a month or so earlier) got a death threat before a competition. Said if Harding goes on the ice she'll get a bullet in her back. The cop that warned her about the threat also said cuz the venue is so big there's no way they can protect you. It freaked Tonya out and she sat out a couple of competitions. It didn't kill her chances but slowed down her comeback.

This is when she's competing to get on the Olympic team.

Before I go any further I don't know if this movie is based on a book by an author, a book by Tonya, or just Tonya's account or like an actual investigated and researched asked everyone involved, got the FBI transcripts and reports fact based story.

The way the movie is narrated and portrayed though is as if this is what really happened. They sort of do this extended The Office documentary interview/narration for Tonya, Jeff, and Tonya's mom. Then smaller parts for Tonya's skating coach, and a reporter that covered everything (

Okay so anyway, Tonya's ex-husband, Jeff, comes up with the idea to send a death threat to Nancy Kieregan to even the odds since they were working under the assumption that this is just an escalation in the mind games fellow skating athletes do to each other. Jeff wants to mail the threats in letters. To do it right and not get caught he goes to his hilariously delusional friend Shawn, who is also Tonya's "body guard", who also thinks he's some sort of master espionage, conspiracy expert, man of the world.

Shawn gets two guys to mail the letter and tells Jeff they'll need 1k to do it. Tonya is aware of all of this. The plan is to mail a fake death threat. This is far from assault. Also while Tonya knew of this she didn't really care. She was way more focused on her comeback. She was only actively involved when Jeff wanted to find the old gym/skating rink Nancy would practice at to mail the letters from there.

Shawn goes back to Jeff and says his guys need more money to do this if not they don't do it. That's absurd cuz all they have to do is mail letters. Jeff says no and that he wants his money back. Shawn says it won't happen trying to convince Jeff to pay more. Tonya couldn't care less. She's really not involved at this point.

Shawn convinces the 2 guys to do it anyway. Unbeknownst to Jeff, Shawn actually hired these guys to assault Nancy. One guy will do it, the other is the get away driver. These guys are idiots btw.

Jeff narrates that everyone has different recollections of how this went down, many saying that Tony attacked Nancy herself. This was the rumor I believed just off of how infamous it is and how many jokes about it. However, both Tonya and Jeff were miles away and asleep when the attack went down. Neither have a clue.

So the guy stumbles into the place breaks Nancy's knee with a retractable baton, idiotically flees but are still stuck in Detroit.

News breaks, FBI investigates, Shawn reveals that it was him that sent the first death threat to Tonya that started all of this in the first place (this guy's reasoning is ridiculously insane :lol: ), Tonya then is told Nancy's assault was shawn's doing, eventually Shawn cracks and wears a wire, Tonya and Jeff are questioned, Jeff is mad paranoid.

Through a sequence of events Tonya begins to believe Jeff knew all along and goes to the the FBI and tells them what she knows (about the plan for the letters and Shawn got some guys to do it), Jeff and Shawn both plead guilty. Jeff pleads guilty to knowing who committed the assault after the fact because after he didn't go to the police he technically became an accomplice. He dqidn't plead guilty to planning an assault.

Tonya is forced to apologize just in order to get on the Olympic team. Then after the Olympics, she is also found guilty for knowing about a crime and not reporting it.

From this movie, what I got from it was Tonya had nothing to do with Nancy's assault at all. Just didn't tell who actually did do it when she found out. The only thing she's guilty of is marrying a scumbag dunbass and that her husband was friends with an even dumber dumbass scumbag who she let be her bodyguard.

This Shawn guy is really up there with the Pain & Gain guys when it comes to extraordinary stupidity that just escalates.

Last edited:
So did anyone else see Brawl in Cell Block 99? Very Tarantino-esque. Interested to hear peoples' thoughts.

loved this

was a little long and predictable but it was dope to see vaughn in a non comedy role banging out

reminded of those hard R rated action flicks from the late 70s/early 80s.

if u havent seen the director’s last movie bone tomahawk check it out

its like a combo of the searchers esque classic western and horror w/ kurt russell richard jenkins and some other great ppl

loved this

was a little long and predictable but it was dope to see vaughn in a non comedy role banging out

reminded of those hard R rated action flicks from the late 70s/early 80s.

if u havent seen the director’s last movie bone tomahawk check it out

its like a combo of the searchers esque classic western and horror w/ kurt russell richard jenkins and some other great ppl

I remember trying to watch bone tomahawk a while back and not knowing it was horror. Like 10 minutes in there is a pretty grisly death and I'm just like
giphy.gif

Zik,

Can you help me get into movies.

I usually only watch Black Films and stuff of the BladeRunner model. (Non space based SciFi.) (Love Black Mirror)

I would rather watch documentaries.

Messrd with 80s/90s martial arts films, favorite genre easily but that is dead now.

I'll be considerate and put this in spoilers

Okay so, Tonya weeks (or a month or so earlier) got a death threat before a competition. Said if Harding goes on the ice she'll get a bullet in her back. The cop that warned her about the threat also said cuz the venue is so big there's no way they can protect you. It freaked Tonya out and she sat out a couple of competitions. It didn't kill her chances but slowed down her comeback.

This is when she's competing to get on the Olympic team.

Before I go any further I don't know if this movie is based on a book by an author, a book by Tonya, or just Tonya's account or like an actual investigated and researched asked everyone involved, got the FBI transcripts and reports fact based story.

The way the movie is narrated and portrayed though is as if this is what really happened. They sort of do this extended The Office documentary interview/narration for Tonya, Jeff, and Tonya's mom. Then smaller parts for Tonya's skating coach, and a reporter that covered everything (

Okay so anyway, Tonya's ex-husband, Jeff, comes up with the idea to send a death threat to Nancy Kieregan to even the odds since they were working under the assumption that this is just an escalation in the mind games fellow skating athletes do to each other. Jeff wants to mail the threats in letters. To do it right and not get caught he goes to his hilariously delusional friend Shawn, who is also Tonya's "body guard", who also thinks he's some sort of master espionage, conspiracy expert, man of the world.

Shawn gets two guys to mail the letter and tells Jeff they'll need 1k to do it. Tonya is aware of all of this. The plan is to mail a fake death threat. This is far from assault. Also while Tonya knew of this she didn't really care. She was way more focused on her comeback. She was only actively involved when Jeff wanted to find the old gym/skating rink Nancy would practice at to mail the letters from there.

Shawn goes back to Jeff and says his guys need more money to do this if not they don't do it. That's absurd cuz all they have to do is mail letters. Jeff says no and that he wants his money back. Shawn says it won't happen trying to convince Jeff to pay more. Tonya couldn't care less. She's really not involved at this point.

Shawn convinces the 2 guys to do it anyway. Unbeknownst to Jeff, Shawn actually hired these guys to assault Nancy. One guy will do it, the other is the get away driver. These guys are idiots btw.

Jeff narrates that everyone has different recollections of how this went down, many saying that Tony attacked Nancy herself. This was the rumor I believed just off of how infamous it is and how many jokes about it. However, both Tonya and Jeff were miles away and asleep when the attack went down. Neither have a clue.

So the guy stumbles into the place breaks Nancy's knee with a retractable baton, idiotically flees but are still stuck in Detroit.

News breaks, FBI investigates, Shawn reveals that it was him that sent the first death threat to Tonya that started all of this in the first place (this guy's reasoning is ridiculously insane :lol: ), Tonya then is told Nancy's assault was shawn's doing, eventually Shawn cracks and wears a wire, Tonya and Jeff are questioned, Jeff is mad paranoid.

Through a sequence of events Tonya begins to believe Jeff knew all along and goes to the the FBI and tells them what she knows (about the plan for the letters and Shawn got some guys to do it), Jeff and Shawn both plead guilty. Jeff pleads guilty to knowing who committed the assault after the fact because after he didn't go to the police he technically became an accomplice. He dqidn't plead guilty to planning an assault.

Tonya is forced to apologize just in order to get on the Olympic team. Then after the Olympics, she is also found guilty for knowing about a crime and not reporting it.

From this movie, what I got from it was Tonya had nothing to do with Nancy's assault at all. Just didn't tell who actually did do it when she found out. The only thing she's guilty of is marrying a scumbag dunbass and that her husband was friends with an even dumber dumbass scumbag who she let be her bodyguard.

This Shawn guy is really up there with the Pain & Gain guys when it comes to extraordinary stupidity that just escalates.

I wouldn’t take the movie at face value man :lol:. Not sure how legit that death threat storyline was. Going off articles it seemed like taking out Nancy’s knee was the motive from the jump.

Watched Zookeepers Wife last night.

Meh. 3 or 4/8. Didn't think it was anything special. Pretty abrupt last 20-minutes too.

Man, tell me why Maze Runner gave me a better Littlefinger death than Game of Thrones :lol: :smh:

Maze Runner 5.6/8

It was okay. My fault barely remembering the details of the past movies I watched on tv.

The main story is ****ed up but I like that the issues were even tackled. A zombie virus spreads across the world. Last of humanity is trying to find a cure and they stumble across extracting a serum from blood of teenagers whonare immune to the virus when they experience high levels of fear and stress that fights off the virus. All that sciencey stuff, some chemical is released in your bloodstream when you experience fear.

Anyway, they use virtual worlds to torture these kids just so they can save humanity. That's a real conundrum.

Come to find out the main character got that magic blood to destroy the virus but in the end all of the ppl cast out of the safe zone just destroy the city. Somehow they got weaponry to take down skyscrapers and **** :lol: Basically any scientist that could use his blood to make the cure is killed (mostly off screen).

Some other cast outs had a plan to basically leave whatever part of the world the teens were being hunted to find a safe haven. Tell me why even after knowing they can make a cure and save all of humanity they still leave to like Hawaii and leave everybody else to die :lol:

Such a strange and poor message.
SPOILERS BRUH!

I wouldn’t take the movie at face value man :lol:. Not sure how legit that death threat storyline was. Going off articles it seemed like taking out Nancy’s knee was the motive from the jump.
There's definitely one take where you can look at this as some sort of satire comedy. Like they're trying to subvert what really happened with a bogus story.

But I dunno, the reaction to the movie, the fact Tonya is showing up on red carpet's like this movie is her life's story I think its suppose to be the real deal.

Cuz if not, you'd then have to call in to question all of the domestic abuse she suffered and I don't think they'd play that off as a part of the comedy.

I think of it similar to Wolf of Wall St. I don't think despite it being a comedy that the majority of it was exaggerated. I think thats what actually happened with Jordan as wild as it was.

Zik,

Can you help me get into movies.

I usually only watch Black Films and stuff of the BladeRunner model. (Non space based SciFi.) (Love Black Mirror)
I love sci-fi. Watch most and give it a chance even when most say it isn't good. Love Black Mirror and I mainly got in to the genre due to the Twilight Zone. A tv show but they have some classic eps and some he long ones that are close to movies. I'd also suggest watching The Outer Limits and Alfred Hitchcock Presents.

I tend to approach movies with the story first and then the acting. So if the story is great I'll watch it and great acting performances are just plain enjoyable cuz the actors are just so believable and become so immersed in the character and story that it really drives the movie. You'll find yourself just anticipating what the character will do next and not wanting to stop watching. Due to that I was able to expand my tastes to other genres. Although I don't enjoy a whole lot of romantic comedy. I wasn't always in to a lot of the supernatural ****, especially didn't care for vampires and werewolves but it really comes down to what great writers, directors, and actors can do with the material.

I've watched a ton of tv and movies and after after while you gain a better understanding of the format and appreciation for this form of storytelling.

So its led me to enjoy western, the very old black and white movies (30s to 50s)

I'll just suggest some non space sci-fi flicks that I liked:

Morgan
Mayhem
The Belko Experiment
Colossal
Sleight
It Comes At Night
Blade of the Immortal (also an action samurai type flick)
Gattaca
Enemy
Lobster
Flatliners
Inception
The Circle
The Prestige
Arrival
Ex Machina
Her
The Man From Earth
Donnie Darko
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Unbreakable
In Time
V for Vendetta
Looper
Source Code
Oblivion
Edge of Tomorrow
Snowpiercer
Lucy
Infinity Chamber
Zombieland
Adjustment Bureau
Demolition Man
Minority Report
Children of Men
Invasion of the Bodysnatchers
Face/Off
KPax
League of Extraordinary Gentleman
Limitless
Total Recall
Battle Royale
Jumper
Contact
The Island
Project Almanac
Next
The Time Machine
The Stepford Wives
Push
The Signal
Powder
Pheomenon
The Final Cut

I'd also say if you have any favorite actors, just try watching any movie they're in. Its also another way to expand your taste in movies
I would rather watch documentaries.

Messrd with 80s/90s martial arts films, favorite genre easily but that is dead now.
Yeah, its a shame martial arts has died out but if you don't mind subtitles I'd say get in to all of the Asian movies; Korea, China, Japan, etc. Easy to start off with all of Jackie Chan's and Jet Li's movies (if you haven't seen them all).

You have to watch The Raid and The Raid 2. Best martial arts movie of this century so far.

The Ip Man movies, Ruroni Kenshin, Ong Bak, John Wick, Headshot, Kungfu Yoga, The Foreigner

Starting Jan. 28th and all of Feb. on the HD network (check if you have it) they're having the And the Oscar Goes to event where every night @ 8pm they'll be airing Oscar winning movies. Then on Feb. 24th and the rest of the weekend they'll have a marathon of Oscar winning movies:

SPOILERS BRUH!
I honestly aint know how many ppl were/are in to those movies :lol:

Last edited:
But I dunno, the reaction to the movie, the fact Tonya is showing up on red carpet's like this movie is her life's story I think its suppose to be the real deal.

Yeah, but you could say she's only showing up because she was one of the consultants on this movie, which shows events from her POV and it portrays her in a pretty sympathetic light too.

I peeped the 30 for 30: The Price of Gold after seeing this movie and it’s a pretty interesting watch. A lot of the scenes from I, Tonya were lifted straight off the stories in the documentary.

One of the things that didn’t line up though was that Tonya flat out denies that note with Nancy’s training facility and schedule was her handwriting whole the movie shows her writing it :emoji_eyes:

I’m gonna try to see 50 movies this year. I’m gonna try to watc 4-5 movies a month. I’ve seen 4 so far this month.

Thanks for that list. I have hardly watched any of those.

I like Liam Neesom. I loved the movie, The Grey.

But people say all of his movies are the same thing.

Up to a point.

I love Liam too. When he was young up to being 50 his movies were all varied. He did a wide range of movies especially given he wasn't always the leading man.

The Grey is real good and isn't an example of a movie he did that was very similar to others.

Oncee he got older though, he pioneered or reinvigorated what I like to call the old man action movie. Old dudes basically kicking *** on the level of Arnold, Bruce and Sly when they were in their primes in the 80s and 90s. Its half cashing in with these movies but he's found a good deal of blockbuster success with it.

Started with Taken which turned in to a trilogy. Then Walk Among the Tombstones, The Commuter, Non-Stop, The A-Team, etc.

He still does other good more artistic movies like Silence, Operation Chromite, Mark Felt, Unknown, Third Person, etc.

Plus he'll show up in comedic movies even now and then.

When its a good actor best not listen to casuals on their opinions cuz they tend to be more of the trend or group think and the criticism lacks any depth.
Yeah, but you could say she's only showing up because she was one of the consultants on this movie, which shows events from her POV and it portrays her in a pretty sympathetic light too.

I peeped the 30 for 30: The Price of Gold after seeing this movie and it’s a pretty interesting watch. A lot of the scenes from I, Tonya were lifted straight off the stories in the documentary.

One of the things that didn’t line up though was that Tonya flat out denies that note with Nancy’s training facility and schedule was her handwriting whole the movie shows her writing it :emoji_eyes:
I have to check that 30 for 30.

And yeah she is blatantly the one that writes practice times and name of the location but in that scene its framed that Jeff made a bet with her about the name ofnthe place when she was proving him wrong. Not she was specifically getting the info to know where to mail the letters.

Its made to look like Jeff set that up.

Plus later on, in the movie Jeff is like he was just mad Tonya went to the FBI and he was so mad he just said she knew everything and he goes on to say he didn't put any thought in to that be was ruining her career.

Back
Top Bottom