Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

I'm going to try to start carving out time to see the top movies before the Oscars this year, I haven't really seen any of them yet.

I have to check that 30 for 30.

And yeah she is blatantly the one that writes practice times and name of the location but in that scene its framed that Jeff made a bet with her about the name ofnthe place when she was proving him wrong. Not she was specifically getting the info to know where to mail the letters.

Its made to look like Jeff set that up.

Plus later on, in the movie Jeff is like he was just mad Tonya went to the FBI and he was so mad he just said she knew everything and he goes on to say he didn't put any thought in to that be was ruining her career.

My bad I totally botched my post writing on my phone. What I meant was that in the 30 for 30 doc, she denies writing that note comepletely and says that it isn’t her handwriting. While in the movie she is shown clearly writing it.

'Tales From the Hood 2' Files Paperwork to Film in New Orleans

An image from the 1995 horror anthology "Tales From the Hood." (Screengrab)

http://www.nola.com/movies/index.ssf/2018/01/tales_from_the_hood_2_files_pa.html

Get ready for more "Tales From the Hood." A sequel to the 1995 urban-set horror anthology has filed paperwork to shoot in Louisiana, with pre-production apparently already underway in New Orleans.

Original "Tales" director Rusty Cundieff confirmed the shoot earlier this month when, as Bloody Disgusting reported, he shared a photo via Twitter with the message: "In New Orleans location scouting for Tales From The Hood 2. This is part of Anne Rice's old Home and where she held her LeStat parties."

That message was removed shortly thereafter and replaced with a much more vague message accompanied by an image of a killer doll from the original movie, suggesting Cundieff might not have had authorization to announce the film. But according to a recent filing with the state, the production is gearing up to shoot on an estimated budget of $3.2 million, with $3 million of that being spent in-state, including $2.2 million of that earmarked for Louisiana payroll.

No cast or release date has been revealed, although -- given the recent success of director Jordan Peele's race-centered thriller "Get Out" -- the timing could be just right for a new "Tales From the Hood" and its blend of comedy, horror and social commentary.

The original "Tales From the Hood," which was executive-produced by Spike Lee, focused on three drug dealers who visit a funeral home to buy a batch of drugs that the funeral director said he found in an alley. As they walk through the home, the funeral director shares four macabre stories of recent clients.

It was a modest box-office success at best, although over the years it has developed something of a cult following.

the-last-dragon-sho-nuff.png

Started Crashing lastnight, finally.

:rofl: :rofl:

This guys man :rofl:
Glad I have 12epsidoes to see.
Episode 1ends and what do you know, Judd Apatow.
Basically, if Apatow isn't involved in your Comedy/Drama show, it sucks?
Does this guys have a failed project, God damn man

Ayo, so I kinda just gave up and am watching Shape of Water at home (screener season ftw).

Is this joint rated R? Tell me why one of the first things I see is shorty naked and a scene of her masturbating?

Last edited:
Suburbicon is a White-Privilege Indictment Wrapped in a Crime Comedy
George Clooney has something to say, but even a Coen brothers script can’t give him the nuance he needs.

aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4udm94LWNkbi5jb20vdGh1bWJvci9IWS0xQjdLX3Bwd1B5aWZqcjVRTGx1ZjJtOEU9LzB4MDozOTc2eDIyMzcvMTIwMHg4MDAvZmlsdGVyczpmb2NhbCgyNjMyeDYzOjMyNjh4Njk5KS9jZG4udm94LWNkbi5jb20vdXBsb2Fkcy9jaG9ydXNfaW1hZ2UvaW1hZ2UvNTY2MDc1MDUvc3VidXJiaWNvbl8wMi4wLmpwZw==.jpg

http://www.cetusnews.com/life/Subur...ent-wrapped-in-a-crime-comedy.HJg-zE775-.html

As a director, George Clooney has a track record of making films that are exceptionally crafted, even if they haven’t all ended up being great at the end of the day. Movies like Good Night, and Good Luck and The Ides of March demonstrate his impressive skills as a storyteller, while other efforts like Leatherheads and The Monuments Men have fumbled their attempts at comedy and action. But his latest film, Suburbicon, seems as close as you can get to a sure-fire cinematic success: a script that originated with Joel and Ethan Coen, a cast that includes Matt Damon, Julianne Moore, and Oscar Isaac, and a darkly comedic tone that seems right in line with Clooney’s own sensibilities.

But Clooney is someone that has never minced words about his political views, and he uses Suburbicon as a chance to step into the larger discussion about racism, and to chip away at the stubborn romanticization of 1950s America. Set in a suburb named Suburbicon, the film is at first glance about idyllic people living idyllic lives. But those perfectly manicured lawns and cheery neighborhood greetings are ultimately just a cover for the deceptions and evils hiding within.

Suburbicon is at its best when it locks into a familiar groove and delivers on one of its many Coen-esque movie moments. The original script was written by the Coen brothers back in the 1980s, and that DNA shines through with every tongue-in-cheek set-up and comedic misdirect. But it’s a scattered film, making too many vital points at once. By neglecting to bring them together into one single story, Clooney undercuts them all.

What’s the genre?

It’s a comedic crime thriller — though one that briefly masquerades as a drama just to get the ball rolling. Those familiar with the Coen brothers’ 1996 classic Fargo will find it immediately recognizable; it’s just set in 1950s suburbia.

What’s it about?

Moronic criminals committing moronic crimes. It starts with Matt Damon’s Gardner Lodge, a father in a 1950s-catalog community called Suburbicon. It’s a seemingly American utopia, full of identical homes, broad laws, and smiling families. But one night, two men break into Gardner’s home and tie up his son Nicky (Noah Jupe), his wife (Julianne Moore), and his wife’s identical twin sister Margaret (also Julianne Moore). Gardner’s wife is killed during the break-in, and in the aftermath, he tries to put his life back together with Margaret’s help. But Nicky suspects something odd is going on, and soon enough the police get involved and a suburban conspiracy begins to slowly unravel.

What’s it really about?

Surburbicon is most literally about how the fabled ‘50s heyday of white America — the same one a certain political campaign thought would help make America great again — is an abject lie, a veneer that hid depravity, cruelty, and corruption. That’s not a particularly new idea, but Clooney also focuses heavily on race relations as a core part of that lie. Suburbicon is a proud all-white community, and when a black family moves into the neighborhood, the residents take immediate action. They sign petitions trying to drive the Meyers family out, they charge Mrs. Meyers ridiculous mark-ups at the grocery store, and they show up nightly outside the family’s home to chant and jeer them into submission. It’s a horrible display, and there’s isn’t much subtlety in Clooney’s point: this is a pointed parallel, aiming at modern-day America, and he’s not interested in hiding it.

Is it good?

Clooney does a wonderful job in simply adopting the tone and style of the Coens’ filmography. At times, his film comes off like a cover song — it has all the hallmarks of a familiar, beloved hit, even if it’s not the same. The individual moments often work, largely because of the cast Clooney’s assembled. Damon is clearly having a lot of fun subverting his Ordinary American Guy persona, and Julianne Moore is impeccable as always. But it is Oscar Isaac who is the most memorable, turning a couple of scenes as a shady insurance investigator into two of the most delightful (and gory) sequences in the film.

But Suburbicon fails to hold together, in large part because it never treats the Meyers family as actual characters. Clooney uses them as an springboard for moments of bigotry and horror, even though they never impact the tongue-in-cheek core story of Gardner and his family. The closest Suburbicon gets is a passing friendship between Nicky and the Meyers’ son, Andy. Andy explains that his father told him the best way to face down virulent racial hatred is to never show any weakness, but that’s really the only insight Clooney offers into what the Meyers are experiencing, and how they feel about it. As a result, what should be a vital subplot comes across as an afterthought, at best. At worst, it plays like Suburbicon is using the Meyers family as props, failing to to give them the same kind of depth or screen time that it gives its two-bit thugs, or Nicky’s wacky uncle.

That isn’t a condemnation of Suburbicon’s intentions. Mainstream art-forms have a unique opportunity to contribute to the public discourse around social issues, and Clooney doesn’t hesitate to share his point of view on racism, hypocrisy, or self-serving justifications for both. But the film should also strive to go beyond mere tokenism. Earlier this year, Get Outdemonstrated just how effective storytelling can be in conveying different points of views and perspectives. In the wake of that movie’s success, it’s hard to not see Suburbicon’s scattered execution as a tremendous missed opportunity.

What should it be rated?

Fireplace-poker violence? Check. Poisonings? Check. Racial epithets? Check. General bad-people-doing-bad-things stuff? Check. Comedic tendencies or not, this one deserves an R.

The Shape of Water 5/8

Man, I did not like this movie. Best compliments I can come up with is the score was good and so was the cinematography. And of course my boy Michael Shannon was good.

Other than that I did not dig this story at all. I don't get why it got an Oscar nomination other than what ppl like to say about the academy that they like crap like this.

Mute woman who is socially secluded (mostly due to being mute) has a pretty quick imo attraction and fast bond to Abe Sapien's brother who is held captured by the government.

**** just bored me. The setting, the time frame, the story, the characters. Michael Shannon was pretty good as the villain but he couldn't save this in the least.

Guillermo has been hit or miss for a long time now. Son is leaning towards overrated for me.
Shape of Water > Lady Bird
Madness.
Gonna try and watch either Lady Bird or Shape of Water tonight.
Watch Ladybird.

It at least has some very humorous moments.

Wait until Shape of Water comes on cable late this year/early next year.

Saw The Shape of Water again tonight. Missed SO MUCH the first time around, it's insane. Didn't really realize how impressive the sets were until I read up about them a little bit.

http://ew.com/movies/2017/12/04/shape-of-water-great-wave/amp/

Had never heard of dry-for-wet filming technique before reading up on in. Directors are god damn sleight of hand MAGICIANS man :lol:

One other thing that I didn't pay attention to the first go round was the very deliberate Wes Anderson style color palette. Like when he takes an object and focuses on it, then every scene the rest of the film is based on that color combo. Love that ****. It's the scene where dude is sitting at the bus stop with the balloons and cake. Blue/green/teal/yellow balloons. Every scene is framed with that palette from that point on, ala
screen-shot-2017-09-14-at-9-49-54-am1.png

The cars, the uniforms, the science facility, and so on and so forth. It just looks cool. Can't wait to peep on 4K ultra blu-ray

Yeah the sets and costume design, all of the visuals were really good.

I noticed the color palette thing with the teel car.

Back
Top Bottom