Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Speaking of firefly, fox really killed any momentum the show might of had by showing the episodes out of order.

“More than 70 earths spinnin’ about the galaxy, and the meek inherited not a one”.

Speaking of firefly, fox really killed any momentum the show might of had by showing the episodes out of order.

“More than 70 earths spinnin’ about the galaxy, and the meek inherited not a one”.
I remember watching the "first" they aired and hated it. Felt off. :smh: Fox TV has to be one of the worst run channels in years.

I remember watching the "first" they aired and hated it. Felt off. :smh: Fox TV has to be one of the worst run channels in years.
I guess they felt the intended pilot was too slow which doesn’t make a whole lot of sense, expositions are to be expected when you’re being introduced to whole new world.

I guess they felt the intended pilot was too slow which doesn’t make a whole lot of sense, expositions are to be expected when you’re being introduced to whole new world.
exactly. You watch the first episode and its great. Doesn't it end with Mal throwing ol boy into a turbine? Nah that's episode 2 but still :rofl:

Recently watched:
City of Gold (2015), it's a documentary about Jonathon Gold, who recently passed. Any fan of food or the man should check it out. Not usually a fan of documentaries but this one was exceptional.

Thieves Like Us (1974), meh. I'm trying to check out more of Robert Altman's filmography but nothing has lived up to 3 Women (1977) yet.

Come Inside My Mind (just came out so I don't think I need to put the year :lol:) , another real well put together documentary. Robin Williams was always someone I went through a period of checking out his films and I almost always enjoyed them.

Show is Brilliant.
Cast is 8/8

Can't recall a better job offhand, so I started searching, an hour in and Succession is reigning Champ
Pure Greatness on levels.

Found out he was good friends with John Doe & Exene Cervenka of LA punk band X so we ended up talking alot about various bands from X, to the Germs, Velvet Underground, The Stooges. Really cool guy.
that’s crazy. los angeles is still one of my most favorite albums. had no idea kevin costner hung out with them. never thought anyone on NT listened to them.

Watched Blockers last night, second time I've seen it. As funny as the first viewing.

MI was :pimp:
41B2DEEB-4209-41AA-92A0-7B5CDDA0AD92.png

that’s crazy. los angeles is still one of my most favorite albums. had no idea kevin costner hung out with them. never thought anyone on NT listened to them.
You an old head like me? Blake was very close to Doe & Cervenka but not sure Costner was. He was friendly with a lot of the LA punk bands at the time. Love those old LA bands...I saw them in the early 90s but they weren’t the same band then. They turned into a more roots rock type of band. They did some covers from Richard Thompson, Husker Du, & Bob Mould...

:pimp:
IMDB is wilding with this
7.1/10

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7660850/
Nicholas Britell, dude did the Theme for Moonlight too.

Show is Brilliant.
Cast is 8/8

Can't recall a better job offhand, so I started searching, an hour in and Succession is reigning Champ
Pure Greatness on levels.

Agreed on Succession's brilliance & its perfect cast. Binged watched the show a couple weeks and instantly became hooked.

Easily my favorite show at the moment. Brian Cox as Logan Roy deserves some sort of trophy come award season.

Steal from Larry Clark much? Couldn't even come up with a good title... Homey just mashed up Kids & Dogtown & applied the tracks Clark didn't use for Kids... What an unoriginal lil thief...

He should do a late 90s, then an early 00s, then a mid00s, then move onto years like 99, 00, 01... He'd have sequels upon sequels...

Last edited:
Box-Office Upset: How 'Equalizer 2' Outgunned 'Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again'
equalizer_2_and_mamma_mia_here_we_go_again-_split-h_2018.jpg

An ethnically diverse audience fueled Denzel Washington's action pic to victory over the star-studded musical sequel.

Heading into the July 20-22 weekend, Hollywood tracking services suggested that Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again would open at least $5 million to $10 million ahead of fellow sequel The Equalizer 2.

But as it turned out the star power of Denzel Washington proved more potent than the combined star power of Mamma Mia's cast, which includes none other than Cher, one of the world's most recognized celebrities. In a rare box-office upset, Sony's Equalizer 2 opened to an estimated $35.8 million, compared with $34.4 million for Universal's Mamma Mia sequel. (Final grosses will be released midday Monday.)

So what happened? A large part of Equalizer 2's victory is due to the fact that the R-rated action pic appealed to an ethnically diverse audience populated by older males.

According to Sony, Caucasians made up 38 percent of ticket buyers for Equalizer 2, followed by African Americans (31 percent), Hispanics (22 percent) and Asians/other (9 percent). The share of black ticket buyers is particularly noteworthy; many times, African Americans make up no more than 15 percent of the audience, if that much, for a Hollywood event film.

More and more, Hollywood has come under attack for a lack of diversity both in front of and behind the camera. Box-office blockbusters, including this year's Black Panther or last year's Get Out, prove what can happen when a diverse audience turns out.

"I think we’ve seen the power of the African-American audience in the past year or so in particular," Sony domestic distribution president Adrian Smith said. He added that the pairing of director Antoine Fuqua and Washington was also a powerful draw, noting that Equalizer 2 is playing to all audiences.

Paul Dergarabedian of comScore added that the films "benefited from Denzel Washington's undeniable star power and, combined with one of his signature characters, action fans who loved the first film showed up in bigger-than-expected numbers."

In the Equalizer films, Washington plays a retired government operative, Robert McCall, who is called back into duty. Audiences awarded the sequel an A CinemaScore, compared with an A- for the first film, which debuted to $34.1 million domestically in September 2014 on its way to earning $192.3 million globally.

Equalizer 2 is the first sequel of Washington's career. Males made up nearly 60 percent of the audience, with 80 percent of ticket buyers over the age of 25, according to comScore.

Conversely, Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again played to a predominately female audience (83 percent). That film likewise played older, with 64 percent of ticket buyers over the age of 25. In terms of ethnicity, Caucasians made up 68 percent of the audience, followed by Hispanics (16 percent), Asians (8 percent), African Americans (4 percent) and other (4 percent).

Cher was no doubt a big curiosity factory, who, along with Lily James, are among the newcomers to the Mamma Mia! brand. Returning stars included Amanda Seyfried, Meryl Streep Julie Walters, Christine Baranski, Dominic Cooper, Colin Firth, Pierce Brosnan and Stellan Skarsgard.

While Mamma Mia 2 may not have won the weekend crown in North America, it opened in line with expectations and is expected to be profitable for Universal. The film received an A- CinemaScore, compared with an A for the original, which debuted to $27.7 million in summer 2008 on its way to grossing $609.8 million globally, not adjusted for inflation.

"It was truly a classic counterprogrammed weekend, with both Equalizer 2 and Mamma Mia 2 successfully finding their audiences," says Dergarabedian.

The true test for both films will be whether they can match the lifetime runs of their predecessors in a crowded late-summer frame, which includes next weekend's new entry, Mission: Impossible — Fallout.

upload_2018-7-24_11-32-56.png

You an old head like me? Blake was very close to Doe & Cervenka but not sure Costner was. He was friendly with a lot of the LA punk bands at the time. Love those old LA bands...I saw them in the early 90s but they weren’t the same band then. They turned into a more roots rock type of band. They did some covers from Richard Thompson, Husker Du, & Bob Mould...
yeah man! i live in hawaii but i used to listen to lots of punk. only show i ever saw on the mainland was battalion of saints and dr know and that was pretty crazy cause the shows in hawaii were much, much smaller. maybe i'll watch decline of western civilization sometime this week for a shot of nostalgia.

Ant-Man & the Wasp 6/8 - Really enjoyed how they were able to keep the storyline going with these characters. Paul Rudd and Michael Pena are hilarious again. A few bumps with the Quantum Realm stuff but I liked this sequel more than a lot of the other Marvel movies. I think the Rotten score is a little high, I don't see how people thought it was "better" than Infinity War but go check it out.

Back
Top Bottom