Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Money talks in the end. Not artistic direction. And then when we look 50 years down the line the best doesn’t always equal the best. And they’re is levels to that.

Anthropoid 6.5/8

Now this was a WWII Nazi assassination movie. These Czechs don't play.

For me this was a good watch after recently seeing Operation Finale. Had a little bit of romance but this takeover/occupation of Czechoslovakia made everything tense.

The assassination attempt was insane. I cant believe dude tried that with that gun and then a damn bomb didn't work.

The best part was that 3rd act. Totally captured that feeling of the end closing in on you. The action was crazy with the grenades and automatics. They held on to the very end.

Pitch Perfect 3 2.9/8

So bad. So trash.

Like why even make this? Did it make a lot of money? Like if no one has a good idea writing wise just wait and get it right.

Just the whole 1st act fell flat. Main plot boring.

The feeling they had about being losers with uninteresting day to day lives and this singing group (why repeat this from the last movie?) being the only thing they have is how I felt about the movie.

Man even the songs werent that on point.

Last edited:
Master Zik Master Zik

I will check out Anthropoid today.

Anything you have on WW2, let me know.
I’d recommend A Thin Red Line if you can get through a Terrence Malick film.

His stuff tends to meander a lot but his cinematography is always stellar. This is one of his better films with a pretty good cast.

I’d also recommend The Bridge Over The River Kwai.

Edit - I was looking at my movies & also saw these gems if you hadn’t seen these; Atonement, Stalingrad, & Son Of Saul.

If you like anime, The Wind Rises is really good also. It’s the animated biopic of Jiro Hirokoshi. He was the engineer who was responsible for many of Japan’s war machines like the infamous Zero fighter planes.

If you can get through old flicks, I really like The Guns of Navarone for entertainment value & the cast was so cool.

Also really liked Hell In The Pacific with Lee Marvin & Toshirō Milfune (from a crap ton of Kurosawa films). It’s about 2 soldiers stranded on an island and neither knows if the war is still on.

An 80s sci-if flick called Enemy Mine with Lou Gossett Jr. & Dennis Quad was loosely based on it. Zemeckis’ Castaway borrowed elements from this movie to.

Last edited:
I just walked out of my first movie. I went to see black klansman at this small theater and it was full. So dude was like, “ ayyyyy bro, stick around for this other movie Mindy. It’s got Nic Cage in it and it was super lit. You’ll be cheering the whole time!”

Easily the worst movie I’ve ever seen at a theater in my life. Weird garbage *** movie. Kinda reminded me of Troll 2 but you couldn’t even laugh at how awful it was. Cage had maybe 4 lines of dialogue while I was there. Threw in the towel half way into it and on my way out the dude apologized and offered me my money back. I was too hurt :lol:

giphy.gif

I’d recommend A Thin Red Line if you can get through a Terrence Malick film.

His stuff tends to meander a lot but his cinematography is always stellar. This is one of his better films with a pretty good cast.
I actually found A Thin Red Line to be great and really unlike his other films.

None of that masturbatory metaphysical waxing poetic. It stayed on a pretty sttaight line and you get that if you've seen other Malick films.

I tend to rank it as one of the best war films ever made.

Some other good suggestions there :pimp: i find it hard with recommmendations cuz i tend to addume if I saw it then most ppl especially in this thread saw it too :lol:

Anthropoid is new and went nder the radar since I don't recall any trailers or it even being in theaters. Guess I'll throw in Miracle at St. Anna Bend_The_Knee Bend_The_Knee

Nicolas Cage movies are always terrible.

Except for World Trade Center.
Lies and madness

Lord of War
The Weather Man
Bangkok Dangerous
Next
Adaptation
Gone in 60 Seconds
The Rock
Con Air
Face/Off
Joe
The Frozen Ground
Mother****ing Matchstick Men

Now granted most of that is prime CageGOD he has plenty good to great movies overall.

Last edited:
:lol: @ the merits of nic cage... I do like Guarding Tess though. Valley Girl was a good 80s flick. I always found him a bit too much & gives one note performances.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:@ the merits of joss whedon. I peeped his history to make sure i didn’t forget anything but the only thing I rate is his cowriting of the first Toy Story & he gets too much credit for that. He actually didn’t do much but tighten it up at the pervert’s request.

Edit - To me, both are proof positive that being white in Hollywood with very little talent does not prevent you from being successful.

Last edited:
:lol: @ the merits of nic cage... I do like Guarding Tess though. Valley Girl was a good 80s flick. I always found him a bit too much & gives one note performances.
CageGOD is a great actor.

Smarten up.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:@ the merits of joss whedon. I peeped his history to make sure i didn’t forget anything but the only thing I rate is his cowriting of the first Toy Story & he gets too much credit for that. He actually didn’t do much but tighten it up at the pervert’s request
He's just a good writer that owns his successful projects.

Can't see how he's in any comparable lane to Bay or Snyder.

Edit - To me, both are proof positive that being white in Hollywood with very little talent does not prevent you from being successful.
Cage has very little talent? Madness.

Whedon? Meh, he made his bones on his writing and thats keeping him in the industry.

2 movies that also made a billion also helps.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom