Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Finessing again

Assassination Nation
White Boy Rick
The Predator
Simple Favor

Light work.

If I'm in the mood maybe I'll peep Lizzie and 11/9 too.

I can only find one theater showing the Sister Brothers and its suppose to be a nation wide release today :smh:

Edit

Why is white boy censored on this site? :lol:

His scores (like his NIN albums) have been soooo good. I lost some of my hearing in my left ear bcs of NIN. :lol::stoneface: Yeeeears ago I saw them at the famed 9:30 Club in DC not long after Pretty Hate Machine had dropped. They played sooooo loud I couldn't hear from my left ear for 2-3 weeks. When it returned I noticed I lost a bit of hearing. I've since seen him a couple of time over the years & in other projects like a band called PIGface. What a talented musician. I had 2 old Jordan shoe boxes of concert ticket stubs I wish I had, but my moms threw it out when I moved out years ago... :frown::smh: Had tickets from Bad Brains, Black Flag, Run DMC when the Beasties opened for them, skate punk band The Faction with with Skate god Steve Caballero, Fugazi, lots of early rap shows ranging from Gang Starr to Lords of the Underground, Black Moon...
i saw the beastie boys when they opened for run dmc here. got kicked out for throwing skate stickers into the crowd. someone said i hit them in the eye :smh: saw bad brains here about 5 years ago. they’re still so good. sadly i never got to see NIN in concert but my hearing is still kinda bad on the treble/high end. one of my favorite bands of all time for sure.

i saw the beastie boys when they opened for run dmc here. got kicked out for throwing skate stickers into the crowd. someone said i hit them in the eye :smh: saw bad brains here about 5 years ago. they’re still so good. sadly i never got to see NIN in concert but my hearing is still kinda bad on the treble/high end. one of my favorite bands of all time for sure.
If you ever find yourself in Bmore, message me so we can grab drinks & grub. :nthat:

HR lived in Baltimore as of 2012 or so. Used to see him around town a lot but haven’t in a while. I know he had a lot of money problems & health issues both physically & mentally. I think he’s schizophrenic . I contributed to a Go Fund Me campaign for him where he needed some sort of experimental brain surgery.

Dave Grohl had a great feature on Bad Brains on that Sonic Highways series. It’s sad. I don’t think HR, Dr. Know & the guys get the credit they should. They’re pioneers. I still jam to them all the time. Soul Craft is one of my go to songs I listen to on my ride home from work on Fridays as a celebratory eff yeah it’s the weekend tunes. Just gettin’ the agro aggression out to that tune is awesome.

There a couple of really good docs on them on YT if you search the group name. One simply titled Bad Brains. There is also a really good one called Finding Joseph about the life & times of HR I highly recommend. You should be able to find it on “the internets” for free.

One of the many times I saw the Beasties was at a small venue here in Bmore called Micheals 8th Ave where they usually have amateur fights & banquets. It was a bill with them headling with Cypress Hill, The Rollins Band, & House of Pain. HoP had been kicked off the tour by the time they came around bcs danny boy & whitey ford kept beefin’ with everyone on the tour.

After the show we ended up running into DJ Hurricane at a 7-11 & smoked some with him outside grubbing on our hot dogs, pizza, & slurpies. He & his crew were really cool. We all bought a crap load of candy to & ended up trading around everything we had including Hurricane. He ended up signing the hat my little brother bought at the show, & the tee’s we bought. He also signed the toe box of my Jordan raptors I had on at the time.

Last edited:
The first movie marathon outing I can say that overall was unsatisfying :smh:

The Predator 4/8

This..... was a movie.

What's the worst Terminator movie? Cuz similar there's gonna need to be a reboot after this or pretend it never happened.

Don't know what the **** Shane Black was going for at all. A lot of times the movie is a parody of itself and not even funny.

My thing is I'm watching the movie jist never comes together. Not once. The genius kid nonsense, these reject misfit soldiers, Sterling Brown miscast (should've been the lead. Not that he can't play a hood villain), Munn's random role where she's part scientist and part daughter of Jackie Chan and Lara Drift, padt of the plot where there's a good predator that came to give humanity a gift? The ****?

The first two Predators were mad 90s and it worked. This was trying to be something it shouldn't and ended up no better than any of the Expendables.

Worst of all was the lead. This no name corny sniper. Crazy how Thomas Jane is right there, he wouldve been a better lead or like I said Sterling K. Brown. I dont get why you even settle on this guy. Was Charlie Hunham not available?

Assassination Nation 5.7/8

This was an above average movie with a story that had something to say. I just wasnt feeling it as much. Story follows these group of girls in HS growing up and dealing with sex and contemplating their future, teenage crisis, etc. Its very clear this movie has a message to about a slot of controversies and issues of today. The beginning of the movie tells you that in the story as a disclaimer; attempted rape, murder, racism, homophobia, etc.

People in town start getting hacked and exposed. Leads to deaths and loss of jobs. The principal exposure was pure bull ****. Seemed like anything to take a black man down with the way ppl overreacted. Adults in this were frustrating.

I just wasnt feeling it overall. Also the main story has the town trying to kill these girls and just the escalation of that wss ridiculous. Movie was much more serious so I couldn't ignore it unless it leaned more on comedy.

White Boy Rick 5.8/8

I've been spoiled by other drug dealing rags to riches movies. This is based on real **** so I cant be mad iitnot being as exciting or entertaining.

Kid playing Rick Jr. was good and MM was really good. Bruce Dern was also good. Good to see Paper Boi in this as a cop.

I will criticize the actual Rick for never ballin for real. He takes over the market and is still living in his dad's house in cold *** Detroit.

The 3rd act is where it really didnt come through. Like the movie all of a sudden became about the unjust drug laws during the war on drugs and how a non-violent offender is doing more time than murderers (something repeated several times throughtout the film). It was just plain depressing.

Every other movie based on actual events usually ends with the main guy getting out after w/e amount of years or at least dying and their legacy lives on.

A Simple Favor 5.7/8

This was a good story, nice mystery, okay twists. For me the 3rd act is where **** got too crazy.

First brother****er is gaslit in to thinking the husband is in on it, then a unknown twin is involved, brother****er is suddenly smart to figure out things to set up just in case aand has a backup plan already implemented). All that for a semi-related happy ending.

Had to watch Speed to cleanse my pallet.

Last edited:
Kimchi Papi Kimchi Papi we def have a lot in common musically. i saw dr. know open up for batallion of saints way back in the day in san diego. fascinating that dude was from the old tv show courtship of eddies father.

yeah man i love bad brains. i had two of their shirts when they collabed with supreme. had the cassette of the first hr solo album. tomorrow morning i’ll check out the vids you posted.

Cheers stuntman mike stuntman mike !

Man, Cary Fukunaga‘s Maniac is crazy weird & even a bit obtuse but very well done. I think had another director done this, it would’ve been crap.

I really don’t like jonah hill but conversely, Emma Stone is a talented actress. I love how This show & Netflix’s Mute (with Alexander Skarsgaurd) use a kind of a lo-fi sci-fi. jonah is the white Luther Vandross with the back & forth of being skinny & fat.:lol:

Will try & finish the series...

Saw this trailer in front of something on HBO I was watching starring Peter Dinklage as Herve Villechaize.

Herve was the actor that played Tattoo on Fantasy Island & in he Bond flick The Man With The Golden Gun. He led a crazy life that sadly ended in suicide with a gunshot to his head. Looks like it should be good.

The New York Film Festival is under way this Friday. I was able to get tickets to:

The Favourite
If Beale Street Could Talk (My most anticipated film of the festival)
High Life
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

I'll post quick reviews of each after viewing

Started watching Chappaquiddick the other day. Fell asleep 45 mins into it. Way too slow even for a political "thriller."

One political movie I’ve always enjoyed was The Contender...Great cast too especially with everyone’s favorite mijo, Sam Elliott...

Started watching Chappaquiddick the other day. Fell asleep 45 mins into it. Way too slow even for a political "thriller."
I found it hard to call it that :lol:

It came off more like a biopic of an event in that man's life.

Nothing compelling about it really. It's a drama that's pretty sad. The girl dying, attempted cover up, Kennedy's relationship with his father, failed aspiration and tossed ambition.

Pretty grim from what I remember.

Halle Berry & Lena Waithe Add Serious EP Spin To BET’s ‘Boomerang’ Reboot
halle-berry-lena-waithe-20.jpg

https://deadline.com/2018/09/halle-...ers-bet-ben-cory-jones-dime-davis-1202469809/

Over 26 years after she had her breakthrough big screen appearance in Boomerang, Halle Berry is now going to put some serious spin on BET’s small screen sequel of sorts, and Lena Waithe is joining her.

The Oscar winner and the Emmy winner will be executive producers on the 10-episode half-hour BET Networks and Paramount Television produced series, which is set to drop next year.

“I’m thrilled to team up with Lena on this project as she is without a doubt a leading voice of her generation and a trail blazer in her own right,” soon-to-be Bruised director Berry said in a statement Monday. “I’m truly excited to be a part of bringing this iconic and beloved film to the small screen.”

“This is less of a reboot and more of a continuation of the original story,” added Waithe. “There’s no point in trying to remake a classic,” she noted of the Reginald Hudlin directed film based on a story of commitment phobia by star Eddie Murphy. “It can’t be done. So we want to create something fresh that speaks to a new generation. We hope people will come to the show with an open mind and ready to embrace the new world we’ve created!”

Focusing on the modern-day offspring of Berry and Murphy’s characters and that of the role now Riverdalerecurrer Robin Givens played in the 1992 flick, the opener for Boomerang 2.0 will be co-written by The Chicreator Waithe and Ben Cory Jones. Having produced the Netflix pic Step Sisters with Waithe, UndergroundandInsecure scribe Jones will be the showrunner and an EP on the new Boomerang, which was first announced earlier this year.

Chi vet Dime Davis is set to direct the pilot for BET’s Boomerang, with Rishi Rajani of Waithe’s Hillman Grad Productions also on board as an EP.

“Partnering an icon such as Halle with a disruptor like Lena is a perfect blend for the creation of a project that tells a classic tale in a relevant voice,” BET Networks president Scott Mills declared on this latest scripted endeavor by the Viacom owned outlet. “This partnership demonstrates BET’s commitment to the continued elevation of the brand, collective creativity and authentic storytelling.”

Berry is repped by WME and Management 360, Waithe, who inked a first look deal with Showtime in July, is represented by the uberagency too as well as The Mission Entertainment.

1) Never watched those shows... this continues to example 2 below
2) Most of those shows were on when I was kid...I was busy watching other things...
3) Boomerang is a classic to me... ( the comedians in that film....hell, the cast in general >>>)

Carry on.

does them doing a reboot somehow add running time to the movie you say is classic to you?

im just wondering why you asked why, like as if it to say they shouldnt reboot it?

first episode of maniac. what did i just watch?

no idea but i’m starting on episode two.
I’m 6 eps in & migjt just stop. I understand what’s happening but the story is too convoluted when it doesn’t have to be. The writer is using some of the concepts in Inception for the story line in here & doesn’t do a good job of doing it. This didn’t even need to be a 10 part series. It would’ve been better served as a movie or perhaps 3-4 eps at the most. I think it’s the same writer as HBO’s the leftovers which I didn’t like at all...

Back
Top Bottom