Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Just copped True Grit for $13 and change at Best Buy... Awesome.
pimp.gif

Speaking of TG....I turned it off last night 30 minutes in.  Does it get any better?  It kinda drags....

But....how?
ohwell.gif
I mean, it's not No Country...nothing is, but you at least needed to wait until someone joins up with them. It gets better...and funnier, trust.

It does kind of take a bit to get moving, it definitely gets better... one of my favorite movies last year.

It does kind of take a bit to get moving, it definitely gets better... one of my favorite movies last year.

I have read two reviews about Super 8. Both insist that it is basically a melting pot of similar Spielberg films past.

One said it was done well, the other, not so much.

Either way, that pretty much ruins it for me. I was hoping for something raw, real, and new, but it seems like it will be watered down and predictable, like most of his work. I guess I should have known, since it is rated PG-13. I just expect a certain kind of film anytime there are governmental conspiracies, cover ups, etc. involved, and I bet this is not it.

I have read two reviews about Super 8. Both insist that it is basically a melting pot of similar Spielberg films past.

One said it was done well, the other, not so much.

Either way, that pretty much ruins it for me. I was hoping for something raw, real, and new, but it seems like it will be watered down and predictable, like most of his work. I guess I should have known, since it is rated PG-13. I just expect a certain kind of film anytime there are governmental conspiracies, cover ups, etc. involved, and I bet this is not it.

The McEnroe/Borg HBO doc. premiers Saturday. 
pimp.gif

Big J and anyone else that was digging into Fassbender, I noticed that Eden Lake (the horror/suspense I mentioned a few days ago) is on TMC that night, too. It is nothing groundbreaking, but a perfect watch if you are in the mood for the genre, I think.

The McEnroe/Borg HBO doc. premiers Saturday. 
pimp.gif

Big J and anyone else that was digging into Fassbender, I noticed that Eden Lake (the horror/suspense I mentioned a few days ago) is on TMC that night, too. It is nothing groundbreaking, but a perfect watch if you are in the mood for the genre, I think.

I tried to post last night, but yeah, good luck with that.  Yuku took it and tossed it whatever I said. 
laugh.gif

I was wondering why no real mention of Super 8 in here.  It's sort of like we all knew it would be another one of "those" like Cloverfield, or even Skyline to a lesser extent.  I HOPE that it's good, but I expect it to disapoint me greatly.  Propbably hold my attention for 45 minutes or so, then I'll find out it's a 75 foot dog or something, and that will be that for me. 
laugh.gif

Anyone who sees it this weekend, just tell me what the damn thing is. 

Eden Lake?  I'll try to get it on DVR at least and give it a watch from there. 

I tried to post last night, but yeah, good luck with that.  Yuku took it and tossed it whatever I said. 
laugh.gif

I was wondering why no real mention of Super 8 in here.  It's sort of like we all knew it would be another one of "those" like Cloverfield, or even Skyline to a lesser extent.  I HOPE that it's good, but I expect it to disapoint me greatly.  Propbably hold my attention for 45 minutes or so, then I'll find out it's a 75 foot dog or something, and that will be that for me. 
laugh.gif

Eden Lake?  I'll try to get it on DVR at least and give it a watch from there. 

Super 8's getting good reviews, though.

I'm kind of excited to see 'The Company Men'.

Super 8's getting good reviews, though.

I'm kind of excited to see 'The Company Men'.

^
I saw The Company Men a few months back, it was really good.  I loved all the characters, and the levels of actors within it.  Tommy Lee, Ben, Coach, everyone.  Nothing great, but solid.  7.5/10. 

^
I saw The Company Men a few months back, it was really good.  I loved all the characters, and the levels of actors within it.  Tommy Lee, Ben, Coach, everyone.  Nothing great, but solid.  7.5/10. 

Just came back from seeing Super 8

If you can separate yourself from the fact that it's basically a tribute film to Spielberg, then it's a really great summer blockbuster... and even if you can't, it's still a solid imitation.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I didn't go into it desperate to know what "it" was... unlike in Cloverfield where I simply wanted to know more about the monster and I didn't care as much about the characters. In this one the kids really are the focus and Abrams does a very good job at that. The main stars, Joel Courtney as Joe and Elle Fanning as Alice were outstanding. Considering their ages I was really impressed at their performance.

The retro vibe did feel forced a bit, although one of the characters saying "mint" all the time was hilariously awesome. But after 15 minutes or so I stopped noticing/analyzing that as much and the action and story takes hold and did a great job of keeping your attention the whole time.

I'll post spoilers (hidden of course) later if/when more people see it, but if you're in the mood to see a throwback summer flick in the mold of Spielberg then this is the movie.

Just came back from seeing Super 8

If you can separate yourself from the fact that it's basically a tribute film to Spielberg, then it's a really great summer blockbuster... and even if you can't, it's still a solid imitation.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I didn't go into it desperate to know what "it" was... unlike in Cloverfield where I simply wanted to know more about the monster and I didn't care as much about the characters. In this one the kids really are the focus and Abrams does a very good job at that. The main stars, Joel Courtney as Joe and Elle Fanning as Alice were outstanding. Considering their ages I was really impressed at their performance.

The retro vibe did feel forced a bit, although one of the characters saying "mint" all the time was hilariously awesome. But after 15 minutes or so I stopped noticing/analyzing that as much and the action and story takes hold and did a great job of keeping your attention the whole time.

I'll post spoilers (hidden of course) later if/when more people see it, but if you're in the mood to see a throwback summer flick in the mold of Spielberg then this is the movie.

may check out Super 8 tonight although I'm not really as crazy excited as alot of other people are.

I don't know but the movie hasn't really caught my attention....

may check out Super 8 tonight although I'm not really as crazy excited as alot of other people are.

I don't know but the movie hasn't really caught my attention....

Since I just watched in on cable, I gotta shout out one of my favorite 80s comedies -- Back to School. Maybe Rodney Dangerfield's best performance ever (followed closely by Caddyshack). Love that movie.

Since I just watched in on cable, I gotta shout out one of my favorite 80s comedies -- Back to School. Maybe Rodney Dangerfield's best performance ever (followed closely by Caddyshack). Love that movie.

Originally Posted by CP1708

No. Go see the movie. You DO see the monster, and see it clearly. At first I thought it was gonna be something like Cloverfield, or even be the monster from that movie, but it's not. The story focuses on the kids and the relationships between them and their parents more than anything, but there's enough action and suspense to keep the pace moving well. The comedy was great; the kids bickering was funny and one kid in particular was hilarious (the fireworks kid).

So, see the movie. Trust me, you'll like it as long as you dont go in for the monster, expecting some Godzilla or Cloverfield $@!+-it-all-up stuff.

Originally Posted by CP1708

No. Go see the movie. You DO see the monster, and see it clearly. At first I thought it was gonna be something like Cloverfield, or even be the monster from that movie, but it's not. The story focuses on the kids and the relationships between them and their parents more than anything, but there's enough action and suspense to keep the pace moving well. The comedy was great; the kids bickering was funny and one kid in particular was hilarious (the fireworks kid).

So, see the movie. Trust me, you'll like it as long as you dont go in for the monster, expecting some Godzilla or Cloverfield $@!+-it-all-up stuff.

Back
Top Bottom