Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

The Green Knight.... woooo what a film. Flat out loved it. Adventure film done great. The atmosphere of the film was done to perfection. Dev was incredible as Gawain and carrying the burden of self-imposed expectations that even he doesnt believe he can achieve. The lingering shots in many scenes really helped amp the gravity of some situations and the surrealism helped make the film feel dream/nightmare like. Ending was fantastic.

7/8. Only drawbacks I can think of off bat, is that the film doesnt explain who his family is and why Gawain is so desperate to prove his honor and bravery. Kind of a big point to gloss over. Some scenes were too long and some could have been longer. The fox CGI could have been better too, but whatevs.

Noob question: who is Green Knight? I literally know nothing about this. I see from the trailer it's medieval drama. Is this from comics, though? Part of another story/universe?

-foe

Only drawbacks I can think of off bat, is that the film doesnt explain who his family is and why Gawain is so desperate to prove his honor and bravery. Kind of a big point to gloss over.
the opening scene with Arthur and Guinevere was enough for me. It establishes that Gawain is Arthurs nephew so he has a legacy to uphold. Gawain himself is in awe of the legends that sit at the roundtable and when Guinevere asks Gawain to tell them about himself, he has nothing to say... Gawain looks crushed and realizes he has been wasting his life this whole time.

Noob question: who is Green Knight? I literally know nothing about this. I see from the trailer it's medieval drama. Is this from comics, though? Part of another story/universe?

-foe
Ancient myth/tale of Sir Gawain of the Round Table. Tl;dr: King Arthur's nephew beheads the Green Knight on Christmas in a "game" and has a year to restore his honor before facing the Green Knight to receive a tit-for-tat blow from GK.

the opening scene with Arthur and Guinevere was enough for me. It establishes that Gawain is Arthurs nephew so he has a legacy to uphold. Gawain himself is in awe of the legends that sit at the roundtable and when Guinevere asks Gawain to tell them about himself, he has nothing to say... Gawain looks crushed and realizes he has been wasting his life this whole time.
But did they name Guinevere? Idk I might have missed it. I knew the story but I'm not sure my gf understood who or why everything was happening. In any case, Dev was amazing and carried the emotion of what you described to perfection. Also, credit to Lowery for his direction. So good.

But did they name Guinevere? Idk I might have missed it. I knew the story but I'm not sure my gf understood who or why everything was happening. In any case, Dev was amazing and carried the emotion of what you described to perfection. Also, credit to Lowery for his direction. So good.

🤔 i think they named Arthur, but not Guinevere? It definitely helped that we knew the story going in :lol:

The way the movie plays out and how it was marketed didn't scream KING ARTHUR. I think people can go in, watch the movie, and come out still not making that connection. Its definitely led to some of the divisive audience reaction so far because I think a lot are expecting some high fantasy dark souls action movie based off the trailer and get something else entirely.

Last edited:
🤔 i think they named Arthur, but not Guinevere? It definitely helped that we knew the story going in :lol:

The way the movie plays out and how it was marketed didn't scream KING ARTHUR. I think people can go in, watch the movie, and come out still not making that connection. Its definitely led to some of the divisive audience reaction so far because I think a lot are expecting some high fantasy dark souls action movie based off the trailer and get something else entirely.
Some of the trailers make it seem like there would be some sword fighting and big action. After this, I'd love to see what Lowery can do with bigger set pieces and some Dark Souls adventure type action. Slap Dev into the same exact situation and make him fight demons and skeletons for 2 hours and I'll stay glued to the seat :lol:

Screenshot_20210811-184250__01.jpg

nicolas-cage-the-rock.gif

Back
Top Bottom