Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

“This is Jurassic Park animal control. It looks like one of the Hadrosaurs has bumped your boat off course. You are entering the raptor containment area. Please, stay seated. We’ll grab your boat at the receiving dock ahead. Do not get out of the boat!”

“Paging animal control to CP25. There’s a tour boat off course in the raptor containment area. We’ve got to get those people out of there! Do you copy CP25? Grab the boat before they get too far! Come back CP25!”
1661314801883.jpeg

Last edited:
“This is Jurassic Park animal control. It looks like one of the Hadrosaurs has bumped your boat off course. You are entering the raptor containment area. Please, stay seated. We’ll grab your boat at the receiving dock ahead. Do not get out of the boat!”

“Paging animal control to CP25. There’s a tour boat off course in the raptor containment area. We’ve got to get those people out of there! Do you copy CP25? Grab the boat before they get too far! Come back CP25!”
1661314801883.jpeg
Was at Universal Studios Orlando few weeks back and ride remains unchanged since it's debut in the 90s. Still lots of fun though .

Just finished Top Gun Maverick. Movie was meh to me. Jennifer Connelly really played the same role as she did in Blood Diamond for a check

Every original script had it's inspiration, in some cases it's an established IP. ie I think Creed was pretty good take from Rocky, just from an idea Ryan Coogler and his dad had watching Rocky together.

I don’t see that data as critical. They didn’t put a value judgment on it. And their definition of “original” is very technical and specific and also transparent.

Not original doesn’t have to mean bad/inferior. But it’s clear over the last 20 years Hollywood has geared movie production heavily to already existing characters, franchises and brands.

Every original script had it's inspiration, in some cases it's an established IP. ie I think Creed was pretty good take from Rocky, just from an idea Ryan Coogler and his dad had watching Rocky together.
I'm very familiar with the idea "There is nothing new under the sun." 'Inspired by' is completely different than 'derived from', though.

-foe

I wonder if that tweet takes novels into account...

No exaggeration, since I've begun my deep dive into older (than me) films, more often than not the 70s/80s ones are adapted from books

Speaking of books, people always talk about how much better the books are than their movie counterpart. Forest Gump and The Godfather are two exceptions to that rule. I read both about maybe 6 years ago and they are trash IMO 🤣🤷🏾‍♂️.

Any other movies better than the books that inspired them that you all can think of?

What are some examples of a sequel/prequl/spin off/reboot that you think should count as a completely original idea?

-foe
Die Hard to Die Hard with a Vengeance.

A literal original sequel given the script was for an entirely different movie initially.

Shares the best of both worlds of being original and being connected to the first movie.

Hans motivations could've been changed for why he picked John but in adapting for that franchise made him out to be a Gruber brother also wanting some revenge.

Also Beverly Hills Cop. Each movie could've been the first one. All you have to do for 2 and 3 is slightly change why Foley is going to Cali.

Probably more not coming to mind.

With that said there aren't a ton of original sequels/prequels. Spin offs are a whole different matter though.

Like somebody just posted (I think in here) about the Ferris Bueller's Day Off spinoff that's about the two valets taking that car for a joy ride. The only thing the two movies will have in common are that car from a premise standpoint. Of course I wouldn't be surprised if writers hammed it up and had a bunch of connections to FBDO that is really unnecessary.

Last edited:
C CP1708 The Queen’s a bein’ grossly nice, meesa tinks.
1661386312288.jpeg

OG Empire Strikes Back, George Lucas F***s with that film endlessly despite millions of people begging him not to.

Jar Jar Binks, not erased from a single scene in 3 prequels despite millions of people begging him to do so.

Speaking of books, people always talk about how much better the books are than their movie counterpart. Forest Gump and The Godfather are two exceptions to that rule. I read both about maybe 6 years ago and they are trash IMO 🤣🤷🏾‍♂️.

Any other movies better than the books that inspired them that you all can think of?

Fight club movie was sooooo much better than the book. The author will be the first to tell you that.

Does Shawshank redemption count? Movie comes from a hundred page novella.

JP

Jaws book was big trash.

That’s all I can think of off top that I’ve read

OG Empire Strikes Back, George Lucas F***s with that film endlessly despite millions of people begging him not to.

Jar Jar Binks, not erased from a single scene in 3 prequels despite millions of people begging him to do so.
Empire Strikes Back 🔥

Back
Top Bottom