Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Fight club movie was sooooo much better than the book. The author will be the first to tell you that.

Does Shawshank redemption count? Movie comes from a hundred page novella.

JP

Jaws book was big trash.

That’s all I can think of off top that I’ve read
Wow I remember each multi-page discussion we had about each of those movies and the books not being better. Specifically Fight Club and Shawshank.

Shawshank is a whole lot different from my recollection.

We're all more than familiar with the notion that book is better than the movie/show. That's just how it is when the visuals are left up to your imagination and how detailed a book can get with descriptions and storytelling. Especially since movies and TV do a lot more showing than telling.

Last edited:
I love it when someone says Michael Crichton’s work is “trash.” It usually conforms my gut feeling that I’m dealing with an individual who is not to be trusted.

Speaking of books, people always talk about how much better the books are than their movie counterpart. Forest Gump and The Godfather are two exceptions to that rule. I read both about maybe 6 years ago and they are trash IMO 🤣🤷🏾‍♂️.

Any other movies better than the books that inspired them that you all can think of?

The Social Network is the first title that comes to mind.

I am tempted to say Catch Me If You Can, but the book and film are good companions to one another. The book is not necessarily better, but it has a different tone and elaborates on things that wouldn't fit in the movie.

Speaking of books, people always talk about how much better the books are than their movie counterpart. Forest Gump and The Godfather are two exceptions to that rule. I read both about maybe 6 years ago and they are trash IMO 🤣🤷🏾‍♂️.

Any other movies better than the books that inspired them that you all can think of?

Stand by Me

Drew Barrymore’s cameo in Wayne’s World 2 - :nthat:

She was definitely in her prime there.

lawdog1 lawdog1 I sincerely have no recollection of her in that movie. Seen it 5-10 times too :lol:

For the life of me I can only remember The Graduate ending and “if you build it, they will come…”

Never seen WW. I always though it had the most 80’s sounding title/vibe while in fact being a 90’s movie. :wow::lol:

7AF0530F-F907-401F-A881-B8305138E551.jpeg

Man. You really gotta make this movie a priority. It’s a certified CLASSIC.

We need a ‘Over the top’ sequel. Where the guy who lost at the end has been training his son his whole life for him to face hawk or his lame son :lol:

Introduce some cool foreign arm wrestlers. To get to the top. :pimp:

The new Top gun: Maverick

We need a ‘Over the top’ sequel. Where the guy who lost at the end has been training his son his whole life for him to face hawk or his lame son :lol:

Introduce some cool foreign arm wrestlers. To get to the top. :pimp:

The new Top gun: Maverick
sounds like Apollo 2.

7AF0530F-F907-401F-A881-B8305138E551.jpeg

Man. You really gotta make this movie a priority. It’s a certified CLASSIC.
You and I should make a deal. I’ll watch Wayne’s World and you watch something you haven’t seen in return!

How about Fast Times at Ridgemont High? IRRC, you have yet to see that, yes?

If you don’t want to watch Fast Times, we can work something else out for you. Thanks.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts Cali

You and I should make a deal. I’ll watch Wayne’s World and you watch something you haven’t seen in return!

If you don’t want to watch Fast Times, we can work something else out for you. Thanks.

you haven't watched WW 1? and WW 2?

Attachments

• deadpool-gasp.gif
    deadpool-gasp.gif
    2.5 MB · Views: 339

GREAT IDEA!!! And you got yourself a god damn deal! Fast times it is!
B5A9AFDF-FD44-4C8E-81E2-53ADCFD97B32.gif

if Fast Times defined your childhood/teenager memories, one of the films that drew my interest due to my brother was....

Attachments

• MV5BNGZlZGYzMGEtYzdjOS00ZjljLWI5NDAtNmMxODYyOWM2MjdmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg
    MV5BNGZlZGYzMGEtYzdjOS00ZjljLWI5NDAtNmMxODYyOWM2MjdmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg
    395.7 KB · Views: 98
Still remember when I saw Wayne’s World in the theater. Went with a couple of buddies. Got to the joke when Wayne’s Chinese take out order was “cream of sum yung gai”. Nobody reacted and then a couple of beats passed, I got the joke and said “eww” pretty loud, whole theater then laughed. Good times.

:nthat:

What are some examples of a sequel/prequl/spin off/reboot that you think should count as a completely original idea?

-foe
Thor: Ragnarok is a completely different vibe than the first 2. Fast Five literally reinvigorated the F&F franchise and is nothing like the first 4. Not to mention classics that we speak about all the time in T2 & Aliens. I think you can take an existing franchise/character/idea and make something original with it. That is a significant portion of the comic book industry. I think people should stop acting as if brand new ideas are the only good ideas

Thor: Ragnarok is a completely different vibe than the first 2. Fast Five literally reinvigorated the F&F franchise and is nothing like the first 4. Not to mention classics that we speak about all the time in T2 & Aliens. I think you can take an existing franchise/character/idea and make something original with it. That is a significant portion of the comic book industry. I think people should stop acting as if brand new ideas are the only good ideas
'Is a different vibe' is completely different than 'is a completely new concept', though. What you just said is exactly the point of the graphic.

-foe

My dissectible word choices aside, I just can’t rock with how black and white that concept is and I think it discredits a lot of great movies.

Back
Top Bottom