Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

What are some good mainstream horror movies from 2000-2015 I should see?

2016 but The Wailing is an all timer
As Above So Below
I partial to the first 3 Paranormal Activity movies, but they're pretty polarizing. I forgot what year Marked Ones came out but I enjoyed that one too
Sinister
Green Room
The Invitation (2015)
The Babadook
Not sure if it counts as mainstream but Grave Encounters
2017 but It Comes at Night
Under the Skin
The Void
Train to Busan
I rewatched the first 2 Conjurings recently but they didn't hit as hard as they did on first watch for me
Funny Games American remake

I didn't really get into horror until the 2010s though there are a decent amount of older horror I like, but not a lot from the 2000's

MajinZuub MajinZuub I'll look into all of those, only have heard of about half. Horror is a great genre because it's the first foray into filmmaking for a lot of young filmmakers that end up being a big deal, and sometimes they get actors on the way up or down.

Separately, I watched Pulse (2006, American version) last night and the RT score was absolute **** but I enjoyed it with the exception of the end. But that's where I can't trust RT.

darthska darthska I've marathon'd every Saw film in the fall of 2021. Spiral was terrible. I actually liked through 4-5, in terms of the tie-ins and the protege/mentor stuff. Not knowing Jeff was related to to the surgeon until the end of III, etc.

B Bronson Seen The Strangers, loved it.

I live in a college town, like I'm sure a lot of you do. SIU (Southern Illinois University) is the college in this town. Like all college towns, they really make a huge deal whenever someone blows up after attending their college.

Bob Odenkirk is one of the more talked about SIU alum, and I guess he was on Fallon last night and showed his old ID card. Everyone has been talking about it all day today. 😂🔥

Screenshot_20230314_191031.jpg

I live in a college town, like I'm sure a lot of you do. SIU (Southern Illinois University) is the college in this town. Like all college towns, they really make a huge deal whenever someone blows up after attending their college.

Bob Odenkirk is one of the more talked about SIU alum, and I guess he was on Fallon last night and showed his old ID card. Everyone has been talking about it all day today. 😂🔥

Screenshot_20230314_191031.jpg
People are definitely aging slower than they used to. That does not look like an “undergraduate” :lol:

What are some good mainstream horror movies from 2000-2015 I should see?
Exorcism of Emily Rose
The Shrine
30 Days of Night
Train to Busan

these are my favorites. there are a few more that you can find but those 4, I highly recommend.

What lies Beneath (2000)
The Cell (2000)
Hannibal (2001)
The Ring
Red Dragon
Cabin Fever :lol:
Identity
Dawn of the Dead (2004)
The Village
Constantine
Brothers Grimm (Guilty pleasure film)

That gets you through 05’. Part 2 will be later
IDENTITY is amazing. good thing you put that in since I somehow forgot that it came out in 2003.
I love Constantine but I don't really categorize it under horror, personally speaking.

2016 but The Wailing is an all timer
As Above So Below
I partial to the first 3 Paranormal Activity movies, but they're pretty polarizing. I forgot what year Marked Ones came out but I enjoyed that one too
Sinister
Green Room
The Invitation (2015)
The Babadook
Not sure if it counts as mainstream but Grave Encounters
2017 but It Comes at Night
Under the Skin
The Void
Train to Busan
I rewatched the first 2 Conjurings recently but they didn't hit as hard as they did on first watch for me
Funny Games American remake

I didn't really get into horror until the 2010s though there are a decent amount of older horror I like, but not a lot from the 2000's
I find THE WAILING good as well. was about to include it when I put Train to Busan although I like the latter more than THE WAILING.

IDENTITY is amazing. good thing you put that in since I somehow forgot that it came out in 2003.
I love Constantine but I don't really categorize it under horror, personally speaking.

I was thinking the exact same thing but 05’ might be the worst year for horror films in history :lol

why do you hate horror?
From my recollection, he formed that opinion not from watching a ton of horror cinema but from seeing a good deal of trash horror movies with terrible stories with the same lame goal (trying to get jump scares) so he wrote the genre off. And that only changed when he saw a few actually good horror movies. Might've said more but I forget.

It's basically the same reason horror is my least favorite movie genre.
Yep.
The Mist
I remember wanting to watch it when it first came out but it was one of those things you just never got around to, you know? Saw that it's on HBO and just knocked it out right now.
Typical horror, except no cheesy lines or jump scares, so that was good.
Super predictable, very little character development, buuuut horror flicks aren't exactly known for building a good story... and this one doesn't.
But the end sealed the deal for me. Screw this movie. Hate it. That ending can go to h-e-double hockey sticks.
3/8

Sweatergawd I'm so mad at that final scene.
2/8 actually

Uuuuuggghhhhh...

-foe
Buuuuut I forget this angle:
You know, I didn't realize there were so many different genres of horrors. But you mentioning Scream as a slasher, and buddy last night describing 'a good mystery movie surrounded by tension and instances of horror' has made me realize I hate slashers, but I can settle in for 'a good mystery movie surrounded by tension and instances of horror', which is how I would describe Get Out, Us, and A Quiet Place.

Yikes, man. Just saw Jeremy Piven in a Hair Club for Men commercial. Seemed like he was reading his lines off a prompter and was sad while doing it. :frown:

Dude was on top of the world at one point. Crazy how much work he didn't get after Entourage, I just remember The Goods.

Dude was on top of the world at one point. Crazy how much work he didn't get after Entourage, I just remember The Goods.
Yeah, relatedly, I was thinking recently about how starring in a big hir HBO show is not a springboard into long-term stardom.

To illustrate, none of the main people from Entourage went on to do big things after. Kumail is the only guy from Silicon Valley who’s career went to a different level. Even the GOT stars haven’t done as much as I expected when the show was at its hottest.

damn that's sad about Piven. i remember him for his role as Cliff Elvis Wolcott in Black Hawk Down

Back
Top Bottom