Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Nolan Trilogy out of order like it's a Tarantino cut
He absolutely loved Batman Begins. So I can't wait for TDK, but now I have to watch it like you said. Have you done it before? What did you do? Or what would you suggest? 3, 1, 2? 2, 1, 3? 2, 3, 1? I think 3, 1, 2 would be going in order from worst to best, personally.

Currently

First

IMG_3566.jpeg

He absolutely loved Batman Begins. So I can't wait for TDK, but now I have to watch it like you said. Have you done it before? What did you do? Or what would you suggest? 3, 1, 2? 2, 1, 3? 2, 3, 1? I think 3, 1, 2 would be going in order from worst to best, personally.
I didnt do it intentionally at first :lol: but I have done it the reverse of your order best to least good. 2,1,3

I don’t think people have given this enough time to breath to know how kinda poorly written this was

the most obvious was making the choice between ilsa (who he had been in the last couple of movies with) and the new girl who literally left him to die in their last scene together

but I just assumed the AI would do more of f’n with them like with the bomb in the airport scene.. but it was seemingly helping Ethan at some points, allowing him at others and then trying to kill him at others

hell think of the tech controlled things we’ve seen in other movies that could have easily been done.. like redirecting traffic to Ethan or controlling various devices

the last MI I saw was Rogue Nation Ghost Protocol lol so I don't have any experience with Ilsa but I did enjoy her character. She was badass in her limited time. Atwell came off as too "normal" if that makes sense. At the end I was thinking a petty thief shouldn't be able to climb a falling train lol.

Now that you mention it, one of them actually dying is a swerve for me lol I assumed both would stay alive. The villain never wins...except in movies with two parts (ie. Thanos vs. Vision and half the universe).

Yeah I thought a lot of it was pretty convoluted but I guess that's why there's a sequel you now must watch to get resolution.

edit: and I'm still not sure where Kittridge stands in all of this, I figure he's directly representing the US govt and not like Denlinger trying to solo take over the world.

Last edited:

Go in order.

I remember the buildup/promo for TDK and seeing nothing about Ledger's Joker and hitting the midnight premier at the Metreon and just being like "Holy **** this is amazing"

I'm totally fine with "have to divorce your husband because he's hella immature." The thing I see in I totally different light now as an adult is the huge problem I have with "have to keep your husband away from his kids because he's hella immature." No tf you don't. 🤬

the last MI I saw was Rogue Nation Ghost Protocol lol so I don't have any experience with Ilsa but I did enjoy her character. She was badass in her limited time. Atwell came off as too "normal" if that makes sense. At the end I was thinking a petty thief shouldn't be able to climb a falling train lol.

Now that you mention it, one of them actually dying is a swerve for me lol I assumed both would stay alive. The villain never wins...except in movies with two parts (ie. Thanos vs. Vision and half the universe).

Yeah I thought a lot of it was pretty convoluted but I guess that's why there's a sequel you now must watch to get resolution.

edit: and I'm still not sure where Kittridge stands in all of this, I figure he's directly representing the US govt and not like Denlinger trying to solo take over the world.
My biggest problem is the Gabriel character on the whole given other threats we have seen them deal with

And it doesn’t bother me her dying.. but we got multiple movies of her putting in work and that’s the dude that takes her out

Needed to be a marlo situation for me to see to

I saw MI: Dead Reckoning Part 1 last night and had a good time. This was another servicable entry into the franchise, but not as great as it's most recent predecessors. The action in this one seemed toned down compared to the previous entries, but perhaps this was all done to establish the storyline and what is to come in part 2. Therefore, a lot more dialogue and exposition. And I didn't have a problem with that as I thought the plot was engaging enough.

It's either that or Cruise and the production team are starting to feel the fatigue in the fresh ideas department. There is a bit near the end of the movie involving a train sequence and right near the end the movie plays similar to a scene in the Lost World Jurassic Park. At that point it seemed the tone changed into an action adventure survivaI movie.

Plus I'm not sure how many more dangerous stunts he can do. He is already in his 60s! Plus I have to wonder if the COVID-19 pandemic forced the production crew to change some things given what was happening around the time of filming.

This storyline seemed like a a callback to the first movie, with the return of Kittridge. I also liked how they used that Dutch angle whenever he was on screen.
The first movie is incredibly different, by the way. Plays off more like a suspense thriller.

I thought Haley Atwell was fine, but I wonder why they went with this storyline. So she's a career thief and she's been hired by the enemy and they just invite her into the team? Just like that?

Looks like the franchise has interesting ways to get rid of their women and bring in fresh faces every so often. I really liked Ilsa and was upset with how that was handled. I even liked Paula Patton, Maggie Q, etc.
It would be really weird and forced if Grace becomes Hunt's new love interest at this point.

I kept expecting another Fallout, but that's not fair since that movie was a conclusion to a different storyline and hit a strong crescendo with how it was executed. This movie didn't top that and I'm not sure if DR2 can do so as well, but we'll have to wait and see.

If DR 2 is the last one of the series, I hope they close out with a BANG!

All in all, I would say this a fun watch and you should be able to enjoy it.

My ranking of the MI movies is as follows:

Fallout
Rogue Nation
Ghost Protocol
MI1
Dead Reckoning 1
MI2
MI3

And if I'm comparing it to this years action films, I would rank it between John Wick 4 and Fast X. I thought John Wick 4 had some superior action sequences. I haven't seen Extraction 2 year nor the first movie.

Saw M:I 7 again. That rome car chase is so damn good. The visual gag and set piece of Cruise being handcuffed to Atwell while driving was a genius dynamic.

9D5083D6-8D19-4413-97A4-81E2D0288B06.jpeg
It was really really done well. I appreciate it more on the rewatch, especially letting her drive and being terrible at it was such a great twist as well as putting them in a little/old car

Watched it again today.

Still incredible. :smokin

I said it in my first post and thought even more this time, so much Matrix vibe with this one. The 4D chess Ethan was playin vs the AI. Ilsa and Grace were the red and blue pills. :pimp:

He tells Grace to stay put and tells Ilsa to run as far as she can and tracks Grace because of the key. But the sentient misdirects him into Paris setting up.......The Choice. (Not piping her, resulting in HER making a choice......)

The entire movie revolves around "The Choice" they all made entering into IMF. Ethan's came because of Gabriel. "He literally made me what I am today".
Benji and Luther also mention the choices they made entering IMF.

They tell Grace now she has to make a choice. To do what's right because she feels responsible for Ilsa. They foreshadow her in the very beginning when Kitredge tells Ethan he's going to lose those that he's closest too. She's literally the photo in the background of that comment.

Every choice Ethan makes in the entire franchise is for the good of the planet, even tho he tries to keep everyone who helps him safe.

That tube Gabriel was in was him plugged into the sentient. To me, another kind of Matrix reference. The way they kept changing faces on the satellite tracking. (Kind of Agent(y))

Small detail I noticed first watch, confirmed here......White Widow......blue eyes.......but not when she was Grace. :nerd: :pimp: I loved that detail. It went along with my questioning of the 2nd mask being destroyed......no way Ethan could play that dude, he's over 6 feet tall. :lol: They were smart enough to ditch that idea knowing it would be too far fetched.

I wonder if we ever see Renner again, or for that matter Angela Bassett. Possible cameos in Part 2 along with Kitredge I'm hoping. (Especially Renner)

Back
Top Bottom