Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

- person: *watches Code Red*
- person: *watches Courage Under Fire*
- person: These movies give the impression that there's a lot of lying and covering up going on in the armed forces.

- me:

I listened to a podcast on Pat Tilman a while back. The people that run this world are truly sick and twisted.

Currently, first time

IMG_0028.jpeg

I finished my Sopranos rewatch tonight.. It might have been only the second full time. I've watched the series all the way through I didn't watch it live. I watched the whole series a few years after it ended. I definitely enjoyed it on the second time around more made it a little easier to follow with all the names and characters. Some of the deeper thematic and metaphorical stuff was more entertaining. Having recently rewatch breaking bad for maybe the third time in total I have a hard time picking one or the other to be honest. Same goes for the wire. I don't think I could possibly rank them in order, but rather put them on a tiered list.

James Gandolfini is just powerhouse throughout the entire series. He deserved all of the praise he got for what he did with his character Edie Falco and Michael imperioli were also great, but the show is Gandolfini. All of the sporting characters are great, though I think when looking at some of the best shows throughout TV history, what gives the wire such an advantage is it's themes and subjects seem far more important and they probably are. While shows like the sopranos breaking bad mad Men deal with things that we can all relate to as people the overarching societal themes and issues in the wire kind of put it on a separate level.

As a fan of mobster movies, the show does such a great job of giving us so much of the story and characters that we love, but twisting it in a way that you don't expect showing you the other side of the life and examines our fascination with it in a very interesting way. It's also a examination of a sociopath and how he infects and impacts everyone around him. I think it's also what makes the wire a little different. Is these other top tier shows? Really focus on one character's journey? Sure you have supporting characters and develop and grow but it's about Walter White. Don draper and Tony Soprano where is the wire? Isn't just about McNulty or stringer or Marlo so it provides a really different experience. Not to mention, just completely switching up. Focuses each season while keeping some recurring characters and storylines is really really unique

The funny part is watching the show. You kind of start to like all these guys even though they're all terrible people and I think that's really fascinating because this isn't a sitcom where you want to socialize with all these funny guys. But she wrote a like these murderers and criminals and mobsters. When thinking about the show in comparison to other great ones, I feel like the first half of season 6 was kind of meandering partially on purpose based on the subject and storylines, but I think it ebbed and flowed a little more throughout its seasons. Then say breaking bad which starts off very slow and then is sprinting towards the finish line. It provides a very different experience when watching. I actually started a mad Men rewatch about a year ago but fell off not for any reason. I'm very high in that show but I recognize some of it's weaker points or just the fact that there are other great shows as well.

For me the top tier of TV is breaking bad. The Sopranos and the wire in no particular order right this second. But yeah... My rambling speak to text thoughts on the sopranos

Indy 5 was ok, but it really staggered me how close we are to losing some real icons "soon" in our lifetimes. :frown:

Harrison, Jack, Denzel, Cruise, Keanu, Gene, Hanks, Sam, Morgan, ......I can't fathom the world with them all completely.......not them anymore. :smh:
But we aren't far off from that reality.

Even seeing the younger Indy kinda made me think about it, especially compared to him bein damn near 75 now???? And here I am salivating at the Mission Impossible preview and it's not lost on me....pretty soon...... :frown:

The next 10ish years we could lose some true Goliath's of cinema. Gene and Jack are basically done working already, Eastwood also. **** I just realized I didn't even list De Niro, Pesci, Pacino......

F*** man. :frown:

calibeebee calibeebee This was my "review" on Indy. Moreso focused on seeing Harrison at this age and when that day really does come....

Also, I completely forgot, Flash also one of my highlights this year as well.

I probably enjoyed Indiana Jones: Dial of Destiny much more than those that don’t know that the antikythera is real, and most of everything they said about it is factual aside from obviously the time travel thing.

But it really was found on a shipwreck and dates back to 100 BC, when its equal as an invention wasn’t actually first documented until the 14th century. The antikythera then was about 1,500 years ahead of the “invention” of the thing that matched its function.

The antikythera was discovered from the shipwreck in 1901.

Who has copped tickets to Oppenheimer this weekend?

About to get them for myself and two of my friends, Saturday afternoon and we are stuck to the last few chairs in the good aisles. All the night shows Friday and Saturday are sold out.
Currently, third movie of the day 🍿

IMG_3768.jpeg

Mid way through the year and Spiderverse and JW4 the only S-Tier movies I’ve seen so far. GOTG3 and MI7 were close :nerd:

oppenheimer imax showings all sold out this weekend
even barbie tix selling fast
big numbers for these two movies :emoji_eyes:

was looking at my watch list this year
top movies were
spiderverse
mi
jw4
past lives
gotg
cocaine bear

Back