Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

In terms of "films-to-watch," just got the rip for Super 8 so hopefully I can watch it tonite. Also have Hanna on tap.
I'm still trudging through the infamous "midpoint-to-third act break" of my screenplay so I need to catch up on that as well. I'm about to just leave the next 30 pages blank and just start the third act. 
laugh.gif

In terms of "films-to-watch," just got the rip for Super 8 so hopefully I can watch it tonite. Also have Hanna on tap.
I'm still trudging through the infamous "midpoint-to-third act break" of my screenplay so I need to catch up on that as well. I'm about to just leave the next 30 pages blank and just start the third act. 
laugh.gif

Jeter 3K doc was outstanding. Loved the look in Tampa when you're on the DL getting treatment and what you go thru and all that. The end was great with all the vids of guys giving him props. Good stuff.

Jeter 3K doc was outstanding. Loved the look in Tampa when you're on the DL getting treatment and what you go thru and all that. The end was great with all the vids of guys giving him props. Good stuff.

The setup/first act, midpoint and ending are always the easiest elements. They're basically the first things you come up with when you develop your stories (in addition to scenes you want, which you'll ultimately parse out anyways).  It's how you get there that's the problem.
A screenplay is basically like holding three poles ten feet apart and throwing a large sheet over it. In-between the poles, you'll have large droops. Trying to create anchors to keep an audience engaged is the challenging part.

After all the reading I've done and research on other screenplays (Niccol, Haggis, Tarentino, Khouri, Towne, et al), I've discovered that if you can construct a good 30 pages after the midpoint of your story, you're gold. I guess Blake Snyder was right after all.

The setup/first act, midpoint and ending are always the easiest elements. They're basically the first things you come up with when you develop your stories (in addition to scenes you want, which you'll ultimately parse out anyways).  It's how you get there that's the problem.
A screenplay is basically like holding three poles ten feet apart and throwing a large sheet over it. In-between the poles, you'll have large droops. Trying to create anchors to keep an audience engaged is the challenging part.

After all the reading I've done and research on other screenplays (Niccol, Haggis, Tarentino, Khouri, Towne, et al), I've discovered that if you can construct a good 30 pages after the midpoint of your story, you're gold. I guess Blake Snyder was right after all.

I take it you've read Save the Cat? I finished reading it awhile back, pretty helpful to understand the importance of proper structure, common problems you can run into, etc.

I'm traveling/busy this month but I'm starting my screenplay end of August, hoping to have it fully planned out and structured before then, though.

I take it you've read Save the Cat? I finished reading it awhile back, pretty helpful to understand the importance of proper structure, common problems you can run into, etc.

I'm traveling/busy this month but I'm starting my screenplay end of August, hoping to have it fully planned out and structured before then, though.

IMO, the top three books I would suggest to any aspiring screenwriter is:
1. Screenplay by Field

2. Save the Cat by Snyder

3. Story by McKee

First two books will get your feet wet and really let you know what you're getting yourself into. If you're still interested, make sure to read (the most important book IMO), Story by Robert McKee. He gives great insight on pacing and how to build from beats, to scenes, to sequences, then to acts. Christopher's Vogler's Writer's Journey is also a great read, and it's amazing how the paradigms mentioned in the book relate to any film, whether it's a drama, action, fantasy, etc...

To actually start putting ideas on paper and formatting, The Screenwriter's Bible by Trottier is canon.

IMO, A Screenwriter's Workbook by Field is not essential. Save the Cat Goes to The Movies is a solid book that breaks down the BS2 and provides excellent examples, but more of a support piece. I started Viki King's How to Write a Movie in 21 Days, and so far, there's some helpful material in that as well. Field's Four Screenplays is another nice suggestion, but only because I love the section on how James Cameron developed the Terminator series. As much as I disliked Avatar, I gained a lot of respect for Cameron after I found out how he started as a filmmaker.

BTW, I suggest reading screenplays. Lots of them. But try to avoid shooting scripts.

IMO, the top three books I would suggest to any aspiring screenwriter is:
1. Screenplay by Field

2. Save the Cat by Snyder

3. Story by McKee

First two books will get your feet wet and really let you know what you're getting yourself into. If you're still interested, make sure to read (the most important book IMO), Story by Robert McKee. He gives great insight on pacing and how to build from beats, to scenes, to sequences, then to acts. Christopher's Vogler's Writer's Journey is also a great read, and it's amazing how the paradigms mentioned in the book relate to any film, whether it's a drama, action, fantasy, etc...

To actually start putting ideas on paper and formatting, The Screenwriter's Bible by Trottier is canon.

IMO, A Screenwriter's Workbook by Field is not essential. Save the Cat Goes to The Movies is a solid book that breaks down the BS2 and provides excellent examples, but more of a support piece. I started Viki King's How to Write a Movie in 21 Days, and so far, there's some helpful material in that as well. Field's Four Screenplays is another nice suggestion, but only because I love the section on how James Cameron developed the Terminator series. As much as I disliked Avatar, I gained a lot of respect for Cameron after I found out how he started as a filmmaker.

BTW, I suggest reading screenplays. Lots of them. But try to avoid shooting scripts.

Good insight, I planned on checking out Screenplay and Story soon... and I've been reading screenplays pretty often, definitely helps the process.

Good insight, I planned on checking out Screenplay and Story soon... and I've been reading screenplays pretty often, definitely helps the process.

I haven't even thought about any other kind of writing since I started writing for the Indians site, but a familiar idea hit me yesterday that I like a lot.

Never read any screenplays or books about them. I just kind of come up with my own sort of outline and tell myself that one day I'll sit down and actually start putting it together. I have four premises that I like a lot, and about 20 that don't feel good enough.

I haven't even thought about any other kind of writing since I started writing for the Indians site, but a familiar idea hit me yesterday that I like a lot.

Never read any screenplays or books about them. I just kind of come up with my own sort of outline and tell myself that one day I'll sit down and actually start putting it together. I have four premises that I like a lot, and about 20 that don't feel good enough.

Ill, I'm sending you my outline when I finish it. We need to put a story together here on NT. Collaborate a script or something.
laugh.gif

Ill, I'm sending you my outline when I finish it. We need to put a story together here on NT. Collaborate a script or something.
laugh.gif

Rise of the Apes was awesome.....Now I gotta watch the original...I've never seen it
laugh.gif

Rise of the Apes was awesome.....Now I gotta watch the original...I've never seen it
laugh.gif

CP send me a copy as well. Giving notes is one of the things I do best.
And Noskey, I'm always down. Shoot me any ideas you get and we'll get something poppin.

CP send me a copy as well. Giving notes is one of the things I do best.
And Noskey, I'm always down. Shoot me any ideas you get and we'll get something poppin.

Back
Top Bottom