Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Rise of the Planet of the Apes was awesome, one of my favorite movies this summer.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes was awesome, one of my favorite movies this summer.

just finished watching oldboy....

so yeah, as you guys said, the dubbing was laughable. but pretty interesting movie. final scene left me a little confused as his smile seems to turn to anger/hurt (i think?). maybe someone can clear that up. but from those last two seconds, i'd think he hasn't forgotten. would love to hear what others think. overall, 6.5 or 7 out of 10. i liked the idea of the movie, would love to see it with subtitles instead of the dubbing.

just finished watching oldboy....

so yeah, as you guys said, the dubbing was laughable. but pretty interesting movie. final scene left me a little confused as his smile seems to turn to anger/hurt (i think?). maybe someone can clear that up. but from those last two seconds, i'd think he hasn't forgotten. would love to hear what others think. overall, 6.5 or 7 out of 10. i liked the idea of the movie, would love to see it with subtitles instead of the dubbing.

Yeah I refuse to watch it dubbed over. Just from the first scene, I was able to see a lot of emotion in the dialogue was lost. I highly suggest you find a copy in Korean with subtitles and give it a rewatch.

Oh and my grade for Oldboy: 9/10

Pulp Fiction on AMC is terrible. They edited out the entire gimp character
30t6p3b.gif
And lots of shootings, which is weird considering they have a show featuring zombies getting their heads blows out.

Yeah I refuse to watch it dubbed over. Just from the first scene, I was able to see a lot of emotion in the dialogue was lost. I highly suggest you find a copy in Korean with subtitles and give it a rewatch.

Oh and my grade for Oldboy: 9/10

Pulp Fiction on AMC is terrible. They edited out the entire gimp character
30t6p3b.gif
And lots of shootings, which is weird considering they have a show featuring zombies getting their heads blows out.

So yeah......Oldboy will haunt me for a while.
laugh.gif
Review tomorrow, wanna try and forget as much as I can.
roll.gif

So yeah......Oldboy will haunt me for a while.
laugh.gif
Review tomorrow, wanna try and forget as much as I can.
roll.gif

No prob CP. BTW, the site I usually use to check for screenplays is SFY.ru.
Caught up on some 2011 movies this weekend...

I wasn't caught into the hype for Super 8 when it was first announced, and I'm not a fan of the sci-fi B-movie genre, so I think that's a big reason I enjoyed it. The tease with the alien was awful though because his appearance and the end was a letdown. Still, I'm a big Elle Fanning fan (loved her in Somewhere) and the "film" at the end of the credits was a treat in itself. 7.5/10.

Hanna seemed like Bourne Identity x Lola Rennt x La Femme Nikita. Based on that alone, I have to give it 8/10. The three main actors (Ronan/Blanchett/Bana) were excellent, and I loved the pacing of the film. I have some issues with the second act, but I still thought it was a somewhat fresh way to tell a story which isn't that original. The CB soundtrack combined with the action scenes were pure crack. Props to Joe Wright, who did a great job.

Hands down my favorite super hero film of 2011 (even though it was technically released in '10) and probably my second favorite movie of the year, behind Midnight in Paris, is Super. Parts of the film are somewhat grotesque, but it's probably the most accurate portrayal of how a man would function as a "super hero" in the real world and the probably psyche of the individual. One thing I loved about the film, once Rainn Wilson's arc started to dull (he did a phenomenal job, BTW), there's a huge lift given by introducing Ellen Page's character. Even though the ending was surprisingly upbeat for the film, I still felt that the entire 90+ minutes was superb. It's not going to be a film for everybody, and it's one of those "hate it" or "love it" movies, but I highly recommend giving it a shot.

I'm planning to see The Lincoln Lawyer, Hesher and Rise of the Planet of the Apes sometime this week.

No prob CP. BTW, the site I usually use to check for screenplays is SFY.ru.
Caught up on some 2011 movies this weekend...

I wasn't caught into the hype for Super 8 when it was first announced, and I'm not a fan of the sci-fi B-movie genre, so I think that's a big reason I enjoyed it. The tease with the alien was awful though because his appearance and the end was a letdown. Still, I'm a big Elle Fanning fan (loved her in Somewhere) and the "film" at the end of the credits was a treat in itself. 7.5/10.

Hanna seemed like Bourne Identity x Lola Rennt x La Femme Nikita. Based on that alone, I have to give it 8/10. The three main actors (Ronan/Blanchett/Bana) were excellent, and I loved the pacing of the film. I have some issues with the second act, but I still thought it was a somewhat fresh way to tell a story which isn't that original. The CB soundtrack combined with the action scenes were pure crack. Props to Joe Wright, who did a great job.

Hands down my favorite super hero film of 2011 (even though it was technically released in '10) and probably my second favorite movie of the year, behind Midnight in Paris, is Super. Parts of the film are somewhat grotesque, but it's probably the most accurate portrayal of how a man would function as a "super hero" in the real world and the probably psyche of the individual. One thing I loved about the film, once Rainn Wilson's arc started to dull (he did a phenomenal job, BTW), there's a huge lift given by introducing Ellen Page's character. Even though the ending was surprisingly upbeat for the film, I still felt that the entire 90+ minutes was superb. It's not going to be a film for everybody, and it's one of those "hate it" or "love it" movies, but I highly recommend giving it a shot.

I'm planning to see The Lincoln Lawyer, Hesher and Rise of the Planet of the Apes sometime this week.

Ok, on a revenge scale, what that rich dude did to Oldboy is about 93/10. 
eek.gif
alien.gif
sick.gif
indifferent.gif
roll.gif

Good Lord I was not ready for that.  I even saw it coming and still wasn't ready for it. 
laugh.gif
  For a good portion of the movie though, I was bored.  Didn't like a lot of it, didn't get what the hell was going on, didn't buy the whole 15 damn years in an apartment chillin, but, I was excited once he was released to see what was going to happen.  I LOVED the scene in the hallway where he goes after all those guys.  Really unique angle on the shot, and it was funny seein how tired they all got.  (I thought they did chicken out though finishing the scene when he sees more of them in the elevator)  I was lucky enough to get a copy with subtitles.  I didn't know there was a version that was dubbed.  How they put this into a remake here in America is going to be hilarious, I already know it.  Isn't Spike attached to that? 
It was no where near what I was expecting, but the reveal was worth the watch in and of itself.  Helluva plot twist. 
I will go with a 7/10.  I know it's highly thought of, but there was a lot of the movie that I didn't like at all, so I can't move it up more than that.  If I was given a choice between Chocolate and Oldboy, I would watch Chocolate over and over, and I think that says something. 

J, is Rise of the Apes related to the Walhberg Apes from a few years ago?  Prequel, sequel?  Pretend Marky Mark never happened or what's the angle there?  I was one of the few that was ok with the Marky rendition, and I thought the way they ended it set up for a sequel perfectly, did they make a switch on me and I didn't know it? 

Ok, on a revenge scale, what that rich dude did to Oldboy is about 93/10. 
eek.gif
alien.gif
sick.gif
indifferent.gif
roll.gif

Good Lord I was not ready for that.  I even saw it coming and still wasn't ready for it. 
laugh.gif
  For a good portion of the movie though, I was bored.  Didn't like a lot of it, didn't get what the hell was going on, didn't buy the whole 15 damn years in an apartment chillin, but, I was excited once he was released to see what was going to happen.  I LOVED the scene in the hallway where he goes after all those guys.  Really unique angle on the shot, and it was funny seein how tired they all got.  (I thought they did chicken out though finishing the scene when he sees more of them in the elevator)  I was lucky enough to get a copy with subtitles.  I didn't know there was a version that was dubbed.  How they put this into a remake here in America is going to be hilarious, I already know it.  Isn't Spike attached to that? 
It was no where near what I was expecting, but the reveal was worth the watch in and of itself.  Helluva plot twist. 
I will go with a 7/10.  I know it's highly thought of, but there was a lot of the movie that I didn't like at all, so I can't move it up more than that.  If I was given a choice between Chocolate and Oldboy, I would watch Chocolate over and over, and I think that says something. 

J, is Rise of the Apes related to the Walhberg Apes from a few years ago?  Prequel, sequel?  Pretend Marky Mark never happened or what's the angle there?  I was one of the few that was ok with the Marky rendition, and I thought the way they ended it set up for a sequel perfectly, did they make a switch on me and I didn't know it? 

CP...i agree with how at times, it was a bit boring. i found myself fighting the urge to fast forward
laugh.gif

but i'm glad i didn't. the twist was worth it imo.

CP...i agree with how at times, it was a bit boring. i found myself fighting the urge to fast forward
laugh.gif

but i'm glad i didn't. the twist was worth it imo.

Originally Posted by Big J 33

THIS

yea CP, it has almost nothing to do with that Tim Burton crap, Andy Serkis put in work + Franco was real good

And Midnight In Paris was pretty good too, I was surprised to like it as much as I did.

Originally Posted by Big J 33

THIS

yea CP, it has almost nothing to do with that Tim Burton crap, Andy Serkis put in work + Franco was real good

And Midnight In Paris was pretty good too, I was surprised to like it as much as I did.

CP, it's a complete reboot/origin story. It draws from some elements of the original franchise, but it's a new story. The director compared it to Batman Begins, a reboot with the hopes of drawing in a new generation to the franchise while still satisfying the fans of the previous films.

CP, it's a complete reboot/origin story. It draws from some elements of the original franchise, but it's a new story. The director compared it to Batman Begins, a reboot with the hopes of drawing in a new generation to the franchise while still satisfying the fans of the previous films.

Originally Posted by Kevin Cleveland

Never Let Me Go is on the Cinemax channels now. Record it. One of my recent favorites.

Good lookin out. 

I remember you recommending it a while ago and I had it on my list to check out just haven't reached it yet rental wise.  But throwing it on a DVR is perfect. 
smokin.gif

Complete reboot huh?  I'm intrigued.  They never did do an origin movie in that franchise did they?  So that must be what this is.  I take it they leave it open for further sequels and what not coming up?  

Hearing a rumor that my friend may have helped me out with Horrible Bosses, Friends with Benefits, and also Bad Teacher. 
happy.gif

Still need to check that he has all that, but he told me he did and he's usually good money.   

Originally Posted by Kevin Cleveland

Never Let Me Go is on the Cinemax channels now. Record it. One of my recent favorites.

Good lookin out. 

I remember you recommending it a while ago and I had it on my list to check out just haven't reached it yet rental wise.  But throwing it on a DVR is perfect. 
smokin.gif

Complete reboot huh?  I'm intrigued.  They never did do an origin movie in that franchise did they?  So that must be what this is.  I take it they leave it open for further sequels and what not coming up?  

Hearing a rumor that my friend may have helped me out with Horrible Bosses, Friends with Benefits, and also Bad Teacher. 
happy.gif

Still need to check that he has all that, but he told me he did and he's usually good money.   

Back
Top Bottom